Martin_80

Does Your Is200 Have A Rattle, Knocking Suspension?

Knocking not brake related  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Knocking, rattle that is NOT related to brake components

• Yes my car has got it but recently
    • Yes my car has got it for as long as I can remember
    • No it's quiet
    • No but I've replaced.....please post
  2. 2. Did your car have a knocking sound but it's gone since you got coilovers?

• Yes it's quiet and really low :)
    • No the knocking is still there
    • Don't have coilovers

4 hours ago, catnap said:

Interesting. How do you know which places will have these ATL things? Is it a mechanical device that'll shake the car like it was being driven? Because that could be very useful if so.

Not sure how you wouldn't know but if you ask they will know what you mean. It will replicate steering freeplay check, side to side. It also pushes the front axle side to side, good for checking balljoints and bushes. It doesn't replicate the movement when going of a bump but more often that not you will see what's worn. 

1 hour ago, iwonder said:

Not sure how you wouldn't know but if you ask they will know what you mean. It will replicate steering freeplay check, side to side. It also pushes the front axle side to side, good for checking balljoints and bushes. It doesn't replicate the movement when going of a bump but more often that not you will see what's worn. 

That sounds ideal- I'm sure that rig can reproduce the noise. 

I would guess larger companies would have it as it's expensive to have them fitted, newer MOT place more likely to have it. Some dealers do but if you asked them they would probably check suspension the normal way. 

That's not the only way to check suspension though so I wouldn't go out of my way to find one of these places. It's just easier to see faults