Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Nothing yet on mine but every other Lexus I've had had started to corrode. Something that Lexus can't get right. Show it to your dealer as they normally swap them for a refurb set without a quibble.

Are yours the smoked mirror finish ones?

Nothing yet on mine but every other Lexus I've had had started to corrode. Something that Lexus can't get right. Show it to your dealer as they normally swap them for a refurb set without a quibble.

I have to disagree on you there. I have had 2 Lexus RX's, one was a 2004 RX300 which I owned from new, no corrosion on wheels when selling at 8 years old with 55k miles. Those wheels weren't even sealed in their lifetime as I wasnt into it then.

My RXh is 3 years old and I have had a kerbed wheel for 2.5 years. Noc orrosion from the bare alloy on show, 30k miles completed too.

Few questions I always ask when someone complains of corrosion:

1) Are there any kerbing marks or stone chips?

2) Who cleans the wheels?

3) What wheel cleaner is being used? and at what dilution?

4) How many miles has the wheel covered?

5) Have the tyres been changed at any point? Even if fitting winter tyres! (which miraculously people tend to forget)

6) Are the wheels sealed?

7) Any Tar remover or Iron remover ever been used on them?

The purpose of these questions are not to blame you if there is a discrepancy but its to make sure it doesnt happen again when you get a new set.

I have to disagree on you there. I have had 2 Lexus RX's, one was a 2004 RX300 which I owned from new, no corrosion on wheels when selling at 8 years old with 55k miles. Those wheels weren't even sealed in their lifetime as I wasnt into it then.

My RXh is 3 years old and I have had a kerbed wheel for 2.5 years. Noc orrosion from the bare alloy on show, 30k miles completed too.

Few questions I always ask when someone complains of corrosion:

1) Are there any kerbing marks or stone chips?

2) Who cleans the wheels?

3) What wheel cleaner is being used? and at what dilution?

4) How many miles has the wheel covered?

5) Have the tyres been changed at any point? Even if fitting winter tyres! (which miraculously people tend to forget)

6) Are the wheels sealed?

7) Any Tar remover or Iron remover ever been used on them?

The purpose of these questions are not to blame you if there is a discrepancy but its to make sure it doesnt happen again when you get a new set.

I only commented as out of the 10 Lexus's I've had most after about 5 years old have started to show signs of corrosion. Just me looking after the wheels and never had a problem with other makes of car. It doesn't really worry me as I just ask and they get changed F.O.C. no quibbles. All cleaned & waxed every weekend, probably rubbing the paint thin :)

I've had 10 Toyota/Lexus vehicles, the only alloy wheels that didn't start to corrode were GS sport wheels (made by OZ in Italy and had much better clear coat compared to Toyota supplied wheels) and my current IS F Sport wheels which are probably too new to suffer yet.

If you are very careful then you can keep them from corroding but you shouldn't have to go to extremes.

I've had 10 Toyota/Lexus vehicles, the only alloy wheels that didn't start to corrode were GS sport wheels (made by OZ in Italy and had much better clear coat compared to Toyota supplied wheels) and my current IS F Sport wheels which are probably too new to suffer yet.

If you are very careful then you can keep them from corroding but you shouldn't have to go to extremes.

I know what you mean about the OZ wheels. I've had four Alfa's all with wheels made by OZ and never any sign of corrosion.

20k from new, always garaged, winter wheels used in winter, always hand washed by me and the rims have never been herbed, at all. Also, Autoglym wheel sealant used approx 6 times a year... :-(

Seems it was all a waste of time and money!

They are standard Luxury rims, slightly smoked effect shiny, powder coated according to the dealership when I bought the car new in 2012 (possibly the first privately purchased new GS's on the road).

20k from new, always garaged, winter wheels used in winter, always hand washed by me and the rims have never been herbed, at all. Also, Autoglym wheel sealant used approx 6 times a year... :-(

Seems it was all a waste of time and money!

They are standard Luxury rims, slightly smoked effect shiny, powder coated according to the dealership when I bought the car new in 2012 (possibly the first privately purchased new GS's on the road).

Hmm bit odd. Mines a 2012 so probably same material used on the alloys. I have a kerbed wheel, cars garaged and I've got 30k on and no corrosion. Water has somehow got under the paint.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links