Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Most Peculiar Happening Yesterday Morning.

Yesterday morning I was walking downstairs, I'd just got up, when the car alarm went off, RX400h. When I opened the front door I found all four windows open, and the moonroof open, the doors locked and the alarm waking my neighbours. As soon as I pressed "unlock" on the key-fob the doors unlocked and the noise stopped.

I then pressed and held "lock" the doors locked and the windows and moonroof closed. This problem has not repeated itself since. My first thought was that the key button to unlock the car had been pressed somehow in my pocket while I had been walking downstairs, but that would have unlocked the doors and switched off the alarm before it opened the windows and moonroof.

Could anyone please help with any ideas as to the cause of this, as obviously I'm a bit concerned about leaving the car anywhere as the likelihood of either the contents or even the car disappearing worries me.

I have only had the car for about a month and I just don't know enough about it yet to diagnose problems without help.

Regards

Roger.

Simples!

You must have held the unlock button on the fob causing all the windows and sunroof to open

Then, as the car senses that the door has not been opened, it locks itself which would induce the alarm to go off. Small vibrations can set it off including wind or something moving inside.

The new RX's are programmed not to open their windows when holding the unlock button as there were a lot of complaints about this happening. Some people woke up to soaked vehicles after a night of heavy rain.

• Like 1

Thanks rayaans for taking the trouble to reply, I must admit that your explanation seems most likely, but I find it worrying that this can happen with the key in my pocket.

The range on the transmitter is quite something, mine will lock and unlok fro 100m. (yards to the old folks) lol.

Yep, same here.

Thanks rayaans for taking the trouble to reply, I must admit that your explanation seems most likely, but I find it worrying that this can happen with the key in my pocket.

You can remove the programming. Im not sure how but there must be some owners who can chime in or you could always take a look at youtube lol

• 3 months later...

This happened to my wife this morning.

Went outside, driver's side front and rear window open about 5 inches.

No children at home - just me and her.

She says it has happened before...

Q. Has anyone had the remote fob open windows etc., option disabled by Lexus? Did it help?

This happened to my wife this morning.

Went outside, driver's side front and rear window open about 5 inches.

No children at home - just me and her.

She says it has happened before...

Q. Has anyone had the remote fob open windows etc., option disabled by Lexus? Did it help?

Yes the current RX450H doesn't open windows unless you get it programmed in by Lexus. They disabled it because this happens!!

• Like 2

It may not be the same cause but I've seen this exact same problem on a Bmw tourer, a friend at work had it intermittently but it did get gradually worse, all the windows & sunroof would be open when he finished work (private secure carpark) it definately wasn't his the fob as it was broke & he was using the key, It turned out to be a fault on the central locking which was caused by water ingress in the drivers door central locking switch ...

• Like 2

Question for Geryatrix, do you know if your windscreen is original or could it have been replaced at some point in the past?

If it's original it will have Lexus written in one of the corners in black on the glass (not a sticker or transfer).

Bill's post got me thinking about a couple of stories I read about the replacement windshields not being watertight/sealed correctly under the windshield cowl, which LED to water ingress on/into expensive computer bits - I think from memory, the IS200 (older model) suffered with wet passenger foot wells which is where some electrickery components were (although don't remember what exactly!)

All the owners with weird issues reported they had a new windshield fitted at some point....

Just a thought!

Hi Chris,

I've just checked the windscreen and it does say Lexus on the bottom RH corner, on the clear part of the glass and then below it in the black area it says LEXUS GB with a 07000 phone number.

Since I've taken more care about where I keep my keys the problem has not reoccurred so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the interest.

• Like 1

Hi Piers,

With the Techstream software I can program this auto open/close function on/off for the following:

1) Windows only

2) Moonroof only

3) Windows & Moonroof

I don't typically use it to open anything but find it dead handy to close a partially open window or roof when I stop the engine and get out, then realise someone left something open!

I have a 53 plate RX300....

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links