Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Dealer Fit Parking Sensors, Is There An On/off Switch?

willydoit

Hi all,

My Sc430 has what appears to be dealer fit parking sensors in front and rear bumpers (i think 4 sensors in each bumper from memory) however there is no sign of them working and previous owner has never noticed them working. If they are dealer fit would there be on/off switches located anywhere or a common fuse covering both front and rear? Seems odd that neither work. As they are fitted I would like to get them working if possible. It may be that one or more sensors are faulty and therefor the whole lot has been disconnected by a previous owner but no idea where to start looking for clues.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

My Dealer fitted ones operate off the Gear Lever for reversing and there is an installed switch low down on the right hand side of the Steering Wheel between it and the drivers door for the front ones.

Have fun and continue to enjoy the SC.

Regards

John

My Dealer fitted ones operate off the Gear Lever for reversing and there is an installed switch low down on the right hand side of the Steering Wheel between it and the drivers door for the front ones.

Have fun and continue to enjoy the SC.

Regards

John

Thanks John,

have managed to trace wires from sensors (4 on back 2 from front) which seem to be labelled "a" thru "f" which seem to terminate in the boot under a flap next to the fusebox, 6 wires with small connector plugs and what looks as though it is a fused power cable a small multi plug similar to an audio cable from a computer cd drive. All are just hanging loose. I suspect that at one time there was a module in the boot that these would all connect to and that in the past there has been some issue and it has all been disabled and the control module removed. T

Not sure how to tell whether it is a dealer fit or aftermarket job so dont know what I would look for as a replacement control module. Need to ascertain whether sensors are universal (although one or more may be faulty) and I could just plug them into any old aftermarket box.

Any feedback from anyone who has experience of installing parking sensors would be appreciated.

I'm in the process of a little hifi install so will probably have the boot apart sometime tomorrow. I will send you a picture of the module if it's still in there but I may have discarded it when I changed the bumper. (= safely filed away in the garage where I won't find it)

The later SC should have been given the proper LS parking aids including a camera. oh + radar cruise, paddle shift and electric head rests....and those extending arms that push the seat belt out when you get in.

This pic was taken in the process of removing the original bumper. The sensors were neatly installed in the bumper but it didn't look like original equipment. I think there is/was a brochure/owners manual that pointed to a switch in the boot itself. I will try to find out tomorrow (later today) if I get time.

post-21030-0-29960700-1434243410_thumb.j

Sorry I haven't fitted the CCD camera yet so although the rear seat has 2 subs and an amp for company, the boot remains intact at present.

Research reveals the on/off switch was optional. I doubt many were fitted as it's there to be turned off for the purpose of towing a caravan or trailer.

The model is a Lexus Parking Aid LPA400. The Lexus owners manual is ref AOM 000 011-0 PP/NPZ464-00420-41printed Italy 2005

Sorry I haven't fitted the CCD camera yet so although the rear seat has 2 subs and an amp for company, the boot remains intact at present.

Research reveals the on/off switch was optional. I doubt many were fitted as it's there to be turned off for the purpose of towing a caravan or trailer.

The model is a Lexus Parking Aid LPA400. The Lexus owners manual is ref AOM 000 011-0 PP/NPZ464-00420-41printed Italy 2005

Thanks Neil,

I need to have a closer look at mine, have been thinking of just getting a £30 8 module kit from eBay but need to research reliability etc of these inexpensive units. Dont fancy having to run new cables around the car if any sensors are faulty which would seem likely if unit has been removed. Not sure if it is possible to cut cables at sensor and patch in replacement thereby retaining existing cable runs. May be simpler solution to get someone else to fit it.

Either way it isnt a huge issue, just would be nice to have that extra peace of mind with parking bays getting increasingly smaller

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links