Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clank Noise When Braking Or Accelerating To/from Standstill

Many years ago I had a v6 Camry which clanked or clicked when on the road.  It sounded like the front disks were moving even though the wheel nuts were properly torqued up.  I took it into local Toyota branch (who got elbowed out when Jemca opened a large branch fairly near). Anyway they couldn't find the problem and I knew pads and discs were fine.  I then remembered not long previously that I had had new bushes fitted, anti roll bar and maybe others - too long ago and many cars back to remember precisely.  Well I checked these at home and found they were all loose!  I torqued correctly and voila, no more noise! Not saying this is your problem but might be.  In situations like this you have to check everything.

6 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

I then remembered not long previously that I had had new bushes fitted, anti roll bar and maybe others...

Had this with one of the 9-5s. Fitting garage assumed the bushes in the new control arms were fixed in after manufacture but they weren't so clonk clonk. Looking under the car everything looked fine until I got an MOT station to put it on their shaker plate ramp. Scary stuff.

• 4 months later...
On 11/19/2020 at 7:42 PM, Spacewagon52 said:

I never mind a noise provided I know what is causing it! But one that you can't work out ....... it drives you crackers!

Lol that's me

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have just replaced both cv shafts on my 2008 rx400h and now have a single metallic tap noise on low breaking speed at about 20kmh. It only happens once per brake, sometimes not at all and with varying loudness which seems proportional to braking effort. A similar much quieter noise can be heard on accelerating at the same low speed. The shafts are aftermarket due to the ridiculous genuine price and availability in Australia so maybe it is a faulty shaft . My mechanic has heard it and re-checked but found no cause. Am hoping it is okay I have a 1000km trip to Brisbane next week. The noise is quite audible inside the car too. 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, drrrd said:

I have just replaced both cv shafts on my 2008 rx400h and now have a single metallic tap noise on low breaking speed at about 20kmh. It only happens once per brake, sometimes not at all and with varying loudness which seems proportional to braking effort. A similar much quieter noise can be heard on accelerating at the same low speed. The shafts are aftermarket due to the ridiculous genuine price and availability in Australia so maybe it is a faulty shaft . My mechanic has heard it and re-checked but found no cause. Am hoping it is okay I have a 1000km trip to Brisbane next week. The noise is quite audible inside the car too. 🤷🏻‍♂️

What year and mileage do you have on your 400h?

• 6 months later...

2023. Exactly same single metal tick from the left front side.

Steps to reproduce: accelerate forward 0-10mph with a short but strong gas.
OR accelerate backward the same way (reverse)

OR this happened even standing STILL after selecting Reverse gear after Parking position which was skewed forward. The brakes are pressed full, so it’s definitely not the brakes.

However I replaced the brake pads might jumping in the supports and replaced Rotors entirely. It sounds a bit different now (as a set of 80% tick and two more of 20% loudness (sometimes) but the sound is still there.

I think it is the shaft that comes from the gearbox, because it handles the momentum from the engine and might have some backlash when receiving the torque more than some value (because it doesn’t happen on the higher speeds, which are usually don’t get much torque change)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links