Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice On An Rx300 I Don't Own Yet!

Hello

I am seriously thinking that a Lexus RX300 should be my next car and would greatly appreciate any advice from members and current RX owners.

I don't believe in spending a fortune on cars. A ten-plus year old car that has been looked after can be a great move in my experience,

There seem to be quite a few 2000/2001/2002/2003 RX300 examples for sale at anything between £2000 and £4000 - and in the pictures some of them look absolutely fabulous, as good as new.

At that sort of age and budget, which cars should I be considering? The pre-2003 models or the 2003-on version? Personally I like the look of the older car better!

What are the key things to look out for? Are there any common failings? Is a cambelt service expensive?

My previous car was a Volvo estate which got to 18 years old and 300,000 miles. The secret of it's success was that it was really well engineered and that I drove it sensibly and looked after it. Could I expect similar service from an RX300?

Any and all hints and advice sincerely appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

jack

I have owned a 2003 Mk II for the last 5 years, beautifully put together and the best car I have ever owned. I did however, have an expensive problem with the stereo which is detailed on this forum. Nothing else in my ownership that I would alert you to. I had the cam belt changed at the10 year point, not at a Lexus dealer,any competent garage should be able to handle that job although I think you need the rollers changing at the same time. I also had the auto box fluid changed about the same time.

I do not know enough about the model to offer an opinion on what may go wrong as the years pass.

All the above having been said, I intend to change in the near future as I am becoming concerned that something expensive is sure to break soon.

All the best with your purchase.

Cheers

John

Maybe a private eBay seller to look out for who has owned and cherished the car?

And just trawling through all the past posts on this site - I found that really useful!

Hi

Don't know if this would interest you but my old 2005 rx300 is for sale at "used car 123 Doncaster " . I owned it for around a year and did the Cambelt (well my mate did) he replaced the tensioner , cam rollers and water pump . Had all the wheels refurbished (known issues) gearbox oil and filter done using correct Toyota oil , new rear diff seals (known issue) and oil replaced , all plugs and filters done , tyres replaced and correct 4 wheel alignment done , even genuine wipers used and a/c re gassed and serviced She never missed a beat , sold her to my uncle , who had it for around 18 months , again , apart from putting new front discs and pads , never missed . He p/x at Lexus Leicester for a Gs450 , purely because he wanted a "car" again .

Leather is almost like new , everything worked inc stereo and nav , never smoked in or animals (apart from my 3 year old) air suspension works and never caused any trouble . All keys . Original panels , small paint repair on rear arch , key mark . Even the boot goes up and down

So to conclude " buy her" , as I and my uncle are sooooo fussy and maintain regardless .

Keep us posted

Jon

• Like 1

jack

Trust me , she is a good un ! It's no skin off my nose either way , but please go and try as she drives like a good mint . Let me know how you get on . Worth paying a bit more for piece of mind ..... (Eg - you know the history etc) Don't you agree 👍🏻

Jon

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

No, I've not bought one yet.

The pale blue one is still for sale at 123 Doncaster - or it was yesterday, because I went to see it and have a test drive.

It is indeed a very handsome car, and it drove beautifully. Apparently it did sell once but the buyer changed his mind.

Not sure if it's the one for me as I'm considering a few options, but all credit to the previous owners, and to 123 Doncaster. It's a very nice car, and the dealer is presenting it very well.

Cheers

jack

Hi

Well I am surprised ! It was a trouble free motor ! And Needs for nothing , so if anybody is looking for a sorted motor with no issues ...... Go buy it ! Anyone wanting to know about her ? pm me and I will tell you all the info you need .

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Well I am surprised ! It was a trouble free motor ! And Needs for nothing , so if anybody is looking for a sorted motor with no issues ...... Go buy it ! Anyone wanting to know about her ? pm me and I will tell you all the info you need .

Jon

Hi,

I've put a deposit down on this car, picking it up Friday.

Heres hoping it's as trouble free for me as it has been for you!!

Dave

Hi Dave

Good choice ! Everything has been done inc cam belt , rollers and water pump . All plugs , gearbox oil and replacement diff seals . Car was polished to a inch of its life by myself and my uncle . Keep us posted (pm or list on here) on how you get on .

Jon

Will try to keep up with the polishing!!

Getting a new MOT done before I collect, looking forward to the 70 mile drive home on Friday! (Hope this fogs lifted by then)

Will let you know how it goes and will prob be back here asking questions afterwards !!

Dave

Will try to keep up with the polishing!!

Getting a new MOT done before I collect, looking forward to the 70 mile drive home on Friday! (Hope this fogs lifted by then)

Will let you know how it goes and will prob be back here asking questions afterwards !!

Dave

I'm excited and I'm not even buying it. It sounds great!

I love my RX300!

Best car I've owned since my Lexus Soarer.

:phone:

Well .. Had a pleasant drive home in the rx,which is more than can be said for the train journey there (what should've been a 75 min journey took well over 3 hours!! 😡

First impressions.. Very good .. The sat nav is hopelessly out of date so will look out for a updated disc .... If that's the only problem then I'm well pleased !

Dave.

• Like 1

Well .. Had a pleasant drive home in the rx,which is more than can be said for the train journey there (what should've been a 75 min journey took well over 3 hours!!

First impressions.. Very good .. The sat nav is hopelessly out of date so will look out for a updated disc .... If that's the only problem then I'm well pleased !

Dave.

ENJOY!

:driving:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links