Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

European Road Trip To Southern Spain Pics

Connoisseur

This year our (my) SC430 was 11 years old and heading towards 100k miles so as a present to us, and the car, we decided to take it on a September 3000 mile 16 day euro road trip to Southern Spain via Dunkerque Reims, Dijon, Lyon, Clermont Ferrand, Millefleur, Carcassonne, Barcelona and Valencia. Returning via Zaragoza, St Sebastian, Biarritz, La Rochelle and Caen ferry to Portsmouth.

We used a mixture of toll and ordinary roads, and bought the French and Spanish toll tags before hand so we could drive straight through all peages at 30km - was wonderful!

Car behaved perfectly; fuel was v cheap, especially in northern Spain (circa 80p per litre) which was welcome given the 30mpg or less we were averaging.

The only police we came across was in Spain - a motorway patrol officer in a superb Alfa sports coupe painted blue and white! He was busy with a 'customer' so couldn't get a pic :(

Luggage space was an issue, but driving roof down in 30+C most days more than made up for that, and we did find room for wine on the way back.

Highlights were crossing the amazing Millau Viaduct, driving through cloud in the foothills of the Pyrenees near San Sebastian, roof down, and the views climbing the Spanish Mountains towards Zaragoza. Very enjoyable driving throughout, with lots of interest in the car, and lots of sunshine. Now looking ot do it again next year, perhaps this time to Berlin and Eastern Europe.

Some pics of the best bits:

by Gustav Eiffel's Rail Viaduct, south of Clermont Ferrand

med_gallery_43921_1259_956050.jpg

Roof down over the Millau Viaduct

med_gallery_43921_1259_175510.jpg

Straight road up into the Spanish mountains and Zaragoza

gallery_43921_1259_268239.jpg

Climbing through cloud nr San Sebastian heading into France

gallery_43921_1259_49551.jpg

on the front at Biarritz

med_gallery_43921_1259_530932.jpg

Night in a Chateau near Niort, France

med_gallery_43921_1259_522162.jpg

to Carrefour at Bayeux for the wine collection - good quality and soo cheap........med_gallery_43921_1259_530907.jpg

just before we got on the overnight ferry at Ouistreham to Portsmouth we literally drove around the corner to see this!!

med_gallery_43921_1259_587450.jpg

and to end, 30 minutes after leaving Portsmouth we got this:

med_gallery_43921_1259_44028.jpg

You can depend on a Lexus................

med_gallery_43921_1259_507437.jpg

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed it Mike. Doesn`t look like you got to see the Viaduct de Garabit then ?

You must do it all again.

I got to Andalucia in the Merc Estate on 8 September, having broken down on the Autoroute just North of Bayonne with a failed water pump. FIRST ONE IN 13 YEARS AND I HAD JUST CROSSED THE 200,000 MILE BARRIER, so cannot grumble.

Now in Andalucia until November and will return via Madrid, Bordeaux and Calais Eurotunnel.

Regards

John

Hi John,

That's the Garabit viaduct in the background of pic 1.... sorry to hear of your troubles, and thanks for the Garabit pointer. What an amazing structure indeed!

Enjoy your winter sun and hope the trip back is more relaxing.

Michael

You lucky devil, I would love to do that but she who must be obeyed says no. Thanks for the lovely pics. Mike.

Cheers Mike. You should keep trying with the persuasion. It is well worth it!

Michael

Nice pics. Looks like a most enjoyable run out.

I was at the Eiffel bridge in the Auvergne in July. Judging by your shot I think I may have parked in almost the same place!!

Did you nip up the Puy de Dome whilst in Clermont F? Some great views from up there.

Nice pics. Looks like a most enjoyable run out.

I was at the Eiffel bridge in the Auvergne in July. Judging by your shot I think I may have parked in almost the same place!!

Did you nip up the Puy de Dome whilst in Clermont F? Some great views from up there.

Thanks, the trip was really enjoyable. Sadly no to the Puy de Dome, we had planned to spend some time in C-F but we lost too much getting stuck driving through the centre of Lyon (!) so couldn't. Next time hopefully........

M

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links