Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This is only my second post...have just been through archive of posts...very good forum!

I just put 40,000 miles on an LS 400 and was very happy with the car (apart from fuel consumption). Extremely comfortable.

Sold it and getting a second-hand 1998 GS as I thought the LS (a 1998 model) looked a bit too conservative and I need something a little smaller.

Trouble is, having gone through the posts the steering / vibration problem seems to be a problem with a lot of GS cars and seems to be causing a lot of grief :question:

At the time, I paid no heed but I drove a GS300 belonging to a work colleague last year and, now that I remember, it did exactly what's described here. Between 50 and 65 or 70 mph the steering wheel (and the car itself) vibrated violently. I just thought that his particular car has been very badly kerbed or even crashed, but it seems to be an endemic problem!

I'm having second thoughts about a GS now....is this problem really an issue for a lot of people!

Just need re-assurance....should I have kept the LS :crybaby:

Have had a look through the 'things to watch out' on the site...useful pointers

If anyone has any other pointers on what to look out for when buying a 50,000 / 60,000 mile GS300 (Mark II) would be very keen to hear them too...

Keep up the good work!

The front discs only last 30,000 miles or so - mine's had two replacements. Check for judder when braking from 50 or so. Also the lower ball joints don't last for ever.

The wheels are sensitive to balance - my local dealer (Hatfield) got that sorted.

Having owned 3 GS's and done over 60k miles in each of them, I never had any problems with warped disc etc.

However my 2000 GS430 did suffer from wheel vibration, which was not cured by either balancing, tracking or changing the wheels and tyres. It was cured though after a four wheel alinement.

A cam belt change (60k or 100K) as Rodders has mentioned is something to look out for as its costly to change and look for a car with a service history.

Watch out when buying that you know what you are buying:

i.e. there is an "S" and an "SE" version the "S" being a lower spec which are worth less.

I have seen cars priced as an "SE" when they are in fact an "S". (S=no sunroof or CD player etc)

I have seen cars priced as an "SE" when they are in fact an "S". (S=no sunroof or CD player etc)

The S (or after 2001 known just as the GS300) does have the CD player. It only has 16" wheels, no leather, no heated seats, no memory seats, no sunroof and no headlamp washers.

Cheers guys, all useful stuff

The car I was looking at is not suitable.....so I'm on the hunt again :mat:

Looking for a well-kept 1998 navy or black GS 300 SE with black leather inside, don't need sat nav though it would be nice, do need a service history though

Maximum of 75,000 miles

If anyone happens to be selling one, I be keen to hear from you!

Collin, you mentioned about differences between the S and SE

You said about the S : that it only has the 16-inch rims, no leather, no heated seats, no memory seats, no sunroof and no headlight washers when compared with the SE

Any other differences that you know of or is that the lot ?

Jim

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links