Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Its A Good Bye To The Isf..

Today I took a deposit on my isf and it will be collected tomorrow. I thought I would share my experience of selling the car for those who may be in a similar position .

1. Where did I list the car and how much interest did it get?

I lists the car on autotrader and pistonheads only. I didn't bother with eBay. I prefer pistonheads as it allows sellers to write a detailed well constructed advert thereby giving the seller the ability to differentiate from the competition. Autotrader is pants and limits the characters and the just clumps up what you have written in to a block of illegible text. In the 3 weeks the car was listed I got four times as many enquiries via pistonheads than autotrader. What autotrader did display was the level of interest in the market for this car. The advert got just under 2000 views in 3 weeks!!

2. Why I hate selling privately.

I forgot how much people mess you around. I could have sold the car in 3 days for the price I am selling it for 3 weeks later but two chaps seriously wasted my time. Both offered my what I was after for the car and one sent in excess of 70 emails to me and I did a lot of running around re warranty etc. The weekend he was due to turn up he just made up excuses and stopped contact! The second chap decided to wait until 2 days before coming to see the car before assuming I would service and MOT the car over a month early at our agreed price.... No! If I had know this I would have sold the car almost 2 weeks prior. I was constantly asked questions where people were trying to pick holes in the car to reduce the price. Needless to say this didn't happen behind a point I had set in my head. I had a lot of 'I know your car is a lot better condition that car X but would you take £y as that's what I can get X for?' ... No. Survive to say it was a pain in the a@@

3. Modifications.

As always, the right midificarions are desirable. Everyone was glad the exhaust was fitted. Everyone wanted the intake. I asked most if I could remove it to make up some money and all said no. I should have removed and sold it prior to listing be car. Lesson learned. Interesting though.

4. Am I happy with what I got?

Kind of. It was 1k less than I was hoping for but the car is due a service and MOT next month so that's a factor as to why. Ultimately it's a good price but I think the buyer is getting a fantastic example and I don't think they realise just how good yet.

Overall it was a pain but I made 4K more than a trade in I was offered so I guess it's worth the agro. I loved the car, everything about it but it just is but needed now we have a practical run around with my wife learning to drive. So on to sports cars!

I won't leave the forum and will still look to arrange a few meets next year and help owners where I can. Sorry if this is waffle but it's too late now as you have read it all!

Stu

Looks like I should have taken you up on the offer of the drive sooner rather than later Stu ;-)).

Glad the sale of the car was successful. I've rarely got all the money I was hoping for on a private sale, but it still seems to be the most cost effective way even though its a pain.

Sounds like you were pretty close to what you wanted considering the other items you had coming up.

I'm sure it will be a sad day when the ISF goes but hopefully the excitement of something new will offset that.

Good luck with the search, keep us posted on what you decide to buy and I'm really glad you are sticking with the club.

David

Haha! Looks that way. Never mind chap. Definitely worth the effort but it is just that... 'effort'. I'll certainly keep you updated on the next car but think it will be a 911 ot an Evora. I test drove an Evora and loved the nuts off it! Very special car indeed.

Kind of sorry to see this Stu, but do understand chap. :)

Glad to hear you got pretty much what you wanted for it.

Didn't expect you to sell before me, but then again I'm probably sticking around for a while! ;)

Hope you have some better luck buying the replacement.

I'll keep an eye in my rear view mirror for a slow porker or Evora! Lol. May even slow down to waive at you! ;)

Thanks for your contributions over the past year plus. Been good to have an active poster on here, and glad to hear you'll be sticking around. :)

Trackdays next year still high on my agenda. Let me know if you plan anything I can attend.

Cheers.

Pete :)

Cheers Pete. I'll be up for a track day for sure! Maybe slow down initially but if I tune the evora to 435hp maybe I'll slow down for you ;)

I had intended to keep it longer but have a hankering for a sports mobile. I'll still sort meets so sadly for you, you haven't seen the last of me!

Stu

Lol, wouldn't want it any other way Stu. ;)

Had another dyno run done on Monday. Car made 418.2 at the flywheel. :)

Quite pleased with that!

Will add a thread shortly with the video and a couple of pictures. :)

Funny I looked at a 997 Carrera S just prior to buying the ISF, but unfortunately having tried to wedge my family into one decided its not quite the right time.

Did a track day up at Lotus and the Elise's we drove were the most dynamic cars I have ever driven.

I would imagine the Evora is a brilliant drive and its certainly a lot easier to get into!!

Pete - that's spot on! Headers etc next!!! I'll check out the thread.

Steve- nothing until the new year but my preference is a MY 2012 onwards Evora s on manual guise.

David - luckily I only have a 2 year old and the wife although I am sure she will complain it's to small. I couldn't get in an excige but the evora was easy! The suspension is bleak magic and absorbs bumps better than my isf and remains flatter in corners.

My eldest is 16 & she was desperate for me to get the 911, but being quite tall she was wedged up against the back window - still worth a try!!

I had a good laugh watching my wife & her friend trying to get out of an Exige on all fours at Goodwood a few years ago and I didn't do much better myself.

I recall EVO voting the Evora their best car for a couple of years running, so I'm not surprised.

My eldest is 16 & she was desperate for me to get the 911, but being quite tall she was wedged up against the back window - still worth a try!!

I had a good laugh watching my wife & her friend trying to get out of an Exige on all fours at Goodwood a few years ago and I didn't do much better myself.

I recall EVO voting the Evora their best car for a couple of years running, so I'm not surprised.

It's a pretty special thing and knowing there is a tuner that has a recognised pack to get it to 430hp if i chose is nice to know. The build quality isn't up there with Porsche but the rarity, handling, looks etc make it a winner for me.

Hi Stu, it's great you're sticking around. In the short time that I've been a member of the ISF club, your regular posts are reassuring and keep things alive!

My vote is on the Evora! Its rarity is quite appealing and I think it is a better looking car than the Porche! You hardly see them - a bit like the ISF's!

Hi Stu, it's great you're sticking around. In the short time that I've been a member of the ISF club, your regular posts are reassuring and keep things alive!

My vote is on the Evora! Its rarity is quite appealing and I think it is a better looking car than the Porche! You hardly see them - a bit like the ISF's!

Cheers fella.

I agree and that is a massive draw for me.

I really liked the Evora's interior when I sat in it and a its big step up from the Elise/Exige being aimed at the 911 market.

I know what you mean about the build quality but as you say that's more than offset by the driving experience & rarity.

Exciting times ahead!!

• Like 1

I really liked the Evora's interior when I sat in it and a its big step up from the Elise/Exige being aimed at the 911 market.

I know what you mean about the build quality but as you say that's more than offset by the driving experience & rarity.

Exciting times ahead!!

Couldn't agree more. I am very excited!!

Can't help thinking thirty quid to put 13 months mot on, when selling, is money well spent, both in terms of attracting buyers, and giving them one less reason to knock you down on price.

Agreed about auto trader, seems to attract time wasters like a magnet.

Thanks for your posts about the IS-F, I've enjoyed reading them, and good luck with your next motor.

True and maybe that would have helped. I think having 2 years extended warranty is a good mitigating factor for MOT due to expire but agree going back that may have been a good idea.

Thanks for posting the experience; it reconfirms my decision to trade mine in. I really wouldn't have had the patience to deal with the chancers and time-wasters. It helped that I got a trade-in that was quite a bit higher than I expected

Glad you're planning on sticking around Stu. Your contributions to the forum have certainly been appreciated by me and I hope they continue.

Have you had a test drive in the Evora S yet? Superb choice by the way. There's not many about so another equally (or even more) rare car. Are you planning on getting a MY12 onwards?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links