Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls430 Ride Height Issue

Shaz430

Hi guys I've had my LS430 for about 9 months now and loving it, however in the last month I've had issues with the rear suspension. Couple of months ago my Battery went totally flat and the rear went right down. Once Battery was charged it returned to normal. However in the last month the rear has been sitting very low. The normal setting the arch is right at the tyre and rubs over speed bumps. I've currently got it set at high and is now sitting where the normal should. So the suspension is going up and down, just not to the positions it should be. Front sits exactly where it should, any ideas what could be the issue with the rear? It's a 99 model, thanks in advance.

Hello Sharon and welcome to the LOC.

The 1st gen LS430 wasn't released until 2001 so do you have this year or a 1999 LS400?

Things to check are the ride height sensors and the rods that connect them to the suspension, the rear one on the passenger side tends to snap causing ride height issues.

Have a read of the link below

http://www.evansweb.info/2009/11/23/ls400-ride-height-sensor-repair/

Reminds me of being in a Spanish hotel basement car park, with ferry 120 miles away to catch, in my Citroen CX GTi. Suspension decides not to rise from flat-on-ground........arrgh! (The switch gets muck in it, I find out later....) You CANNOT drive on this level.

Eventually, it DID work....after an hour or more!

There ARE some benefits to non-hydro set-ups!

• 1 month later...

hi guys i am new to the forum my name is Geno i have two lexuses one is a 1999 ls400 and the other is a ls430 i to have a problem also with my ls430 2001 the rear end is really high and the ride feels like its got square wheels it did go down last week and what a difference like a magic carpet but then i was at the traffic lights and could feel the air suspension going back up on its own and back to the square wheel ride it shakes your brains out when in the high position you cant really use the car especially around cardiff or barry as we must have the worst roads in great britain and the tax we pay its a joke any ideas i know this air suspension gives problems a bad one from all the forums its driving me mad a mate of mine whos a top fitter he use to work for lexus is going to look at it for me i hope he can sort it the car is undrivable as it is if he does i will let you know how i get on my ls400 my 3rd one i have owned its a great car no problems i love the ls430 but i wouldnt have bought one if i new about this suspension problems its always the same untill you own one i really think that lexus sould sort this problem out for free its a bad design fault and everyone who owns a ls430 gets problems with this air suspension sooner or later thanks guys sorry to go on but not a happy bunny

Hi guys I've had my LS430 for about 9 months now and loving it, however in the last month I've had issues with the rear suspension. Couple of months ago my battery went totally flat and the rear went right down. Once battery was charged it returned to normal. However in the last month the rear has been sitting very low. The normal setting the arch is right at the tyre and rubs over speed bumps. I've currently got it set at high and is now sitting where the normal should. So the suspension is going up and down, just not to the positions it should be. Front sits exactly where it should, any ideas what could be the issue with the rear? It's a 99 model, thanks in advance.

Does it have air suspension - is that the issue?

Sounds like air suspension from the description.

A common problem is the failure of the height sensors on the LS430 due to water ingress, as far as I am aware replacement is the only option as they cannot be repaired.

There is an alloy drop link on the sensor which is known to break on the earlier LS400 so it may be worth checking this on yours as these can be obtained as a seperate part.

Have a look at the link below, not sure if the Lexus Guildford offer is still on though.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/62888-ls430-height-sensors/

hi steve if my mate cant sort this air suspension on my ls430 i will get rid of it seems like lexus uk have a real problem with this i am gutted i have not had the ls430 long only a few months i love the car but you cant drive it with the air suspension like it is its like a space hopper i would tell anyone who is thinking of buying this model second hand dont buy one its a total joke will have to sell it for spares or repair lexus have really let themselfs down with this model it will drive the second hand prices down to zero who wants to own a car you cant drive will try and part ex it for an audi a8 really gutted i wasted my money there is no way i am throwing up to £1500 on it and the same thing happens again in 18months just sorry i didnt know about this before i bought it my brothers were going to buy new lexuses but i told them not to bother go for audi or bmw surely something sould be done by lexus as a good will and the parts sould be free of charge otherwise even there new car sales will be hit hard because i for one will not recommend lexus to anyone all the lexus forums in the uk sould contact lexus about this problem they might then listen esp if there sales are hit

hi mate thanks for that but i still reckon lexus sould pay for it as all the lexus range suffer with this rubbish air suspension it makes my blood boil to know i have to fork out for a design fault and they know about it do you know the item number on eBay for the coilovers or are they called coilcovers thanks again geno

To be fair, if suspension is worn out after 100,000 miles/10 years, or more, I don't think that's too shocking.

BUT, it's the price to fix it that is shocking, especially when the value of the car is less than the repair cost.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links