Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Question New Tyres Dunlop Tt Or Rt

You talking here about rears or fronts? I just fitted fronts RT with MFS (rim protection), but mine are B, C, 67db (225/45/17). £61.5 per tire from mytyres.co.uk +£10 each for fitting, balancing, nitrogen inflation.

It seems like TT better on dry grip e.g. sporty summer driving and RT better on wet and on fuel economy - I guess preference thing.

Hi Linas

Last I checked on Dunlop website I couldn't see RT having rim protection. TT has. Do you have any picture? Can you confirm rim protection with RT?

I need fronts replaced. 225 40 R18 Y 92

TT

http://www.dunloptires.com/en-US/tires/sp-sport-maxx-tt-tires

RT

http://www.dunloptires.com/en-US/tires/sport-maxx-rt

Yes they are RT with MFS, but mine's are R17

These are the ones I got:

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=32363804.110.9778&sowigan=So&Breite=225&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=&Load=&kategorie=6&Marke=Dunlop&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&Herst=Dunlop&m_s=3&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&filter_preis_bis=&filter_preis_von=&homologation=&search_tool=standard&Label=C-B-67-1&details=Ordern&typ=D-119940

However, they do list R18 with MFS as well:

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=32363804.110.9778&sowigan=Sao&Breite=225&Quer=40&Felge=18&Speed=&Load=&kategorie=6&Marke=Dunlop&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&Herst=Dunlop&m_s=3&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&filter_preis_bis=&filter_preis_von=&homologation=&search_tool=standard&Label=C-A-68-1&details=Ordern&typ=R-248032

Cannot confirm if that is right or not.

As per Dunlop itself these tyres are only available with MFS (maximum flange shield). So you should be be fine with either TTs or RTs.

Not sure why it is different from the site but Dunlop.eu has these 3 listed:

http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_uk/tires/passenger/sp-sport-maxx-rt/?ean=3188649817429&from=browse

http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_uk/tires/passenger/sp-sport-maxx-rt/?ean=5452000463531&from=browse

http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_uk/tires/passenger/sp-sport-maxx-rt/?ean=5452000564207&from=browse

Regarding MFS itself, Dunlop claims - "protects from kerbing". My personal experience - it can protect rim from pot holes in extreme circumstances, but by far not from kerbing. There is not enough edge to protect rim from scratching.. however, same would apply for both TTs and RTs again.

P.S. I am currently looking for decent place to refurbish the wheels...

No it is exactly same in terms of noise. My old SP's were 68db, so not expecting much, but I guess they better then some cheap ones with 74db.

I can add pictures of how they looks fitted tomorrow, nothing amazing in terms of rim protection.

I would personally pic RT's for more economy and TT/GT's for more grip on dry.. guess because of climate in UK I have gone for RT's.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge using Tapatalk

I can vouch that RT's don't protect your rims... :msn-cry:

My twopenneth worth on noise: The RTs were certainly quieter than the Bridgestones they replaced, but I think the db rating can be a bit misleading (I think it's measured outside the vehicle). For example I've switched from my 17" Dunlops to my 16" Avon Ice Tourings in the last couple of weeks and the difference is notable. Although the Avons are rated to be noisier, actually it sounds quieter to me. Or rather the sound is less intrusive; the Dunlops produce more high frequency - that sort of white noise hiss - while the Avons make a subdued 'brrrrrrrrr' (like you'd expect with chunkier tread I suppose).

Yes. Would agree "quieter" tyres alone doesn't make a quiet ride.

That is leads me to another point I forgot to mention. All R18 RT's (not sure about others) are "XL" or "extra loads" (reinforced walls). Mine R17s are not and I was actually looking for ones particularly without reinforcement.

This is because XL's rides similarly as "run on flats" and give you terrible hard ride. Which actually means more vibration inside and consequently more noise.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been comparing tyre's. I was also told Dunlop comes from Goodyear company.

Now the RT ha's fuel rating of C grip rating of A and noise 68db. That's the best I could find among all the big brands. The second best Is Dunlop TT fuel rating of E, grip B and noise 71.

now what has stopped me so far from purchasing is that TT has max flange kerb protection. RT doesn't have this. But RT is graded much better. 

Price is also unbeatable. Kwikfig says 87ish fitted. The cheaper option is Perelli graded E for fuEl,  B grip , 72 noise and priced 84.50 fitted.

oh and I am going for RT for now.

17 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

I have been comparing tyre's. I was also told Dunlop comes from Goodyear company.

Now the RT ha's fuel rating of C grip rating of A and noise 68db. That's the best I could find among all the big brands. The second best Is Dunlop TT fuel rating of E, grip B and noise 71.

now what has stopped me so far from purchasing is that TT has max flange kerb protection. RT doesn't have this. But RT is graded much better. 

Price is also unbeatable. Kwikfig says 87ish fitted. The cheaper option is Perelli graded E for fuEl,  B grip , 72 noise and priced 84.50 fitted.

oh and I am going for RT for now.

It is funny, but is actually true - Dunlop is subsidiary of Goodyear. Not only they arch rivals in the market, but as well Dunlop usually have better tires for more reasonable prices (impossible to explain by any logic). Overall, Dunlop is one of the best tires "on paper".

When it comes to RT vs. TT. TT are grippier tyres especially on dry, hence fuel consumption and noise. To be honest those Fuel ratings are "paper only" thing. Manufacturers put them because they have to (EU law), the real life difference is very small.

Previously, I had SportMaxx (not TT/RT/GT - that is old discontinued model) with "F/G" fuel rating and recently replaced them with SportMaxx RT, which are "C" fuel rating. There were no difference whatsoever in fuel consumption... until.. I filled them with nitrogen and asked guys to increase pressure. Pressure increase made ride harder (some would say less comfortable, but I don't mind) and improved fuel consumption by probably up to 10%, especially on motorways. 

Same goes for noise rating. I haven't noticed any difference even though previous tyres were rated at 72dB and new ones at 67dB. Maybe if you drive with windows down you can hear the difference, but inside of Lexus IS there is no difference - I believe this is one to ignore.

As for rim protection RT and TT are the same, they come with MFS (Maximum Flange Shield), which is not really kerb protection. Even though Dunlop states otherwise:

"Benefits 
Protects expensive alloy wheels from kerbing.

* Only available in select sizes"

MFS is more like additional rubber barrier inside of the tire so that it would protect against potholes. As for the kerbs there is very little "skirt" which doesn't protect much. It would protect the rim if you hit the kerb straight on, but not when you scratch against it one the side when parking.

Honestly, I never had any tire which had sufficient kerb protection (please let me know if you know such brand). Even the old SportMaxx had like a rubber ring around the rim edge, but kerb would burst it straight through even at low speed.. so not only you damage alloy, you as well have pieces of rubber sticking from the sides.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links