Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is250 Parking Brake Shoe

Anyone every replaced the parking brake shoe?

I have to do rear brakes and just came to my mind if I should get this done as well.

If I should get it done, aside from shoe what other parts should in order ? GoING to be my first time to do the brake shoe.

I wouldn't get parts 'on spec'. It's not a particularly easy job and but the shoes are easy to inspect and if they do need doing it doesn't take long to get the calipers clear on another day. Unusually, you don't need to remove the caliper mounts to get the discs off. Unless the mileage is very high you shouldn't need new shoes, especially if the parking brake is working OK - not too much travel etc.

You are unlikely to need any new parts. The pedal should go down 7-9 clicks - that feels like quite a long way. If more, the parking brake needs adjusting. The adjusters are located behind holes in the drums (part of the discs) - as I recall, the nearside adjuster is at about 11 o'clock and the offside one at about 1 o'clock.

They are toothed wheels aligned vertically and you turn them with a screwdriver. It can be tricky to work out what's going on when you're working 'blind' - it can be worthwhile to remove the drums/discs so that you can see exactly how they work and what you need to do. Obviously you have to do the actual adjustment with everything assembled, then you can't see what is going on! They need adjusting to just a shade backed off from rubbing.

There is an adjuster on the cable, too, where it attaches to the pedal, but the main adjustment should be done at the wheels.

• Like 1

Yes mine are on a to do list as well. I will buy the shoes and fit them. Vectras are same and were a pain to do, had a look throu inspection hole

could not see a thing. So if hubs off i will renew cars done about 53000 mls and they dont last for ever.

Sure adjusters are on the bottom seen a how to somewhere.

Once the drum/disc is off, you can see the linings - they start off at 2.5mm - minimum thickness is 1.0mm. Just measure with a ruler if you're not sure. But as they (should) never get used in a moving situation (except maybe during MoT tests), they shouldn't wear at all really.

I changed the rear discs not that long ago - wasn't a hard job and didn't take long. I had no issues with any seized parts so found it easy to do. I uploaded a how to on this forum showing the steps you need to do to take the discs off.

Nice info chaps, noted for future reference.

Although no different to older cars with drum brakes, that we've all probably worked on over the years, except the knurled knob used to be accessed from the rear of the drum.

I would imagine the parking brake is self adjusting, (I don't know where the adjuster is situated on my Lexus) and when it fails to self adjust its either the cable that's stretched or the shoes worn.

Would it be fair to say that your adjustments for the parking brake, as I have always done, always starts at the rear wheels. If you cannot get the adjustment from there the cable is next. If you still can't get it right a new cable may be required.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links