Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My LS430, and list of work needed!

So, an update on my own thread. :)

Work done so far:

- Consumables; wiper blades, bulbs, etc.
- New transmitter key
- New document wallet from Lexus
- Removed all five speakers to be sent away and refurbished (new foam plus dustcaps where needed)
- Four new Goodyear tyres
- Fully refurbish all five wheels
- Lube service plus air and pollen filters
- Auto box fluid and filter change
- Replace air suspension compressor mountings and lubricate compressor
- Remove rear discs and pads, overhaul calipers, clean up and fit new discs and pads
- Remove front discs and pads, clean surfaces of both hubs and discs, overhaul calipers and reassemble
- Remove all ride height sensors, clean up and lubricate
- Bought manuals from USA, turns out the American 2001 LS430 doesn't have the automatic door unlocking/button lock so I'm missing that bit.

On the to-do list:

- Figure out what on earth is going on with the automatic unlocking; more on that below.
- Replace radiator
- Replace front brakes (it's still juddering, but not as badly and only usually above 50mph)
- Replace suspension components as necessary so wheel geometry can be properly set up. Unfortunately some of the suspension components are rusted to the point that they cannot be unbolted or adjusted.
- Professional interior valet and minor repairs to leather
- Get hold of updated sat nav DVD, mine is OLD.

The automatic unlocking is confusing me.

- If I walk up to the car, it unlocks. I get in, drive, park, get out, lock the door using the button, walk away. Everything's fine.
-  If I park, turn off the engine and either sit in the car for a bit or get out and wander around, so the key is going in and out of range of the car, then finally lock it, it may or may not lock using the button; I may have to use the keyfob.
- Then, if I've locked it with the keyfob, when I come back it will not always automatically unlock. It knows the key is present as it turns the courtesy lights on but will not unlock.

I've looked on the keyfob as I've approached the car and I can see the LED flashing away as the courtesy lights turn on, but it can still be flashing and the doors won't unlock.

Any ideas?

The brakes judder a lot less now the rears have been replaced. They were missing mounting clips and bolts, were pretty grimy and hadn't been fitted properly! However - if I drive from cold at around town speeds, it more than likely won't judder. If I head out to the nearest dual carraigeway and brake from 50mph+, there is noticeable judder, especially if I'm going down hill. Apparently the front brakes were also pretty grimy but have been cleaned up. So it looks like I am going to need to replace the fronts as well unless anyone has any ideas?

Finally, is it possible to retrofit reversing sensors? Having had them on my Camry, I would like them on the LS. Lexus have told me I cannot take the  reversing sensors from a 2002 and retrofit them as apparently the computer won't know how to talk to them. They have said they can supply me with sensors compatible with the car and fit them for £450. I can't see why they would change the sensors so much between the 2001 model year and the 2002 model year that they wouldn't work. And I would assume that sensors were a factory option for my car, so presumably some of the wiring is already in place, it just needs the sensors and some kind of control module to be fitted. Has anyone done this?

Apart from these points, I am loving the car so far, the 18mpg around town is a bit hard to stomach but some how I am justifying it!

• Like 1

I love these lists!

They always get me thinking about jobs for my car too!

[ I'm sure you can get cheaper reversing sensors elsewhere... ]

I can get aftermarket non-Lexus sensors, but my experience with them on other cars has not been good. If I'm going to fit them to the LS then they need to be the genuine article as far as I am concerned.

The compressor was very noisy and rattly; having the new mounts and having it lubricated made a hell of a difference - I can't hear it at all now most of the time, and on the very rare occasion when I can it's hard to discern from the engine's own noise, which I'm sure you know is very quiet! It's a slight hum now, whereas before it had a bad rattle and also bearing noise.

56 minutes ago, Antharro said:

I can get aftermarket non-Lexus sensors, but my experience with them on other cars has not been good. If I'm going to fit them to the LS then they need to be the genuine article as far as I am concerned.

The compressor was very noisy and rattly; having the new mounts and having it lubricated made a hell of a difference - I can't hear it at all now most of the time, and on the very rare occasion when I can it's hard to discern from the engine's own noise, which I'm sure you know is very quiet! It's a slight hum now, whereas before it had a bad rattle and also bearing noise.

So what did you lubricate on the pump? I replaced my mounts and it made a lot of difference, but it's still not as quiet as it should be.

I'll check with my mechanic next time I see him regarding the pump. He is very mechanically minded and works on all manner of matters mechanical, not just cars, so I'm inclined to trust him when he says he did it. Might be a while until I see him again but I will update when I do.

I've started separate threads about the locking/unlocking and the reversing sensors, figured I'm more likely to get answers to dedicate threads rather than this general thread.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links