Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Possible Cause of Sunroof Leak?

I recently posted about the sunroof drain hoses - and I do believe that mine are clear (absent a positive visual ID).

However, the problem persists.

I have noticed a crack in the plastic moulding on either side, and I now wonder if this is the cause.

I'd be glad to know if other members' cars have this 'feature'.

roof.JPG

It's easy to check for blockages.

Just wind the roof open, then pour water in to each corner, using a pavement or wheel chock, etc, to get the slope in the right direction.

Simply check under the car for water exiting on to the road in the relevant corner.

Just had a quick look at my sunroof insert, and on my MK4 it looks slightly different but where you have your red circle that does not look right at all.

Which makes me think you have got cracks which would let water in.

Seems like an odd place to crack the insert, almost as if the insert is not sitting quite right and has been over-tightened.

I wonder if a bit of JB Weld would sort it out in terms of a good long lasting seal.

You dont say which model you have Cleverdick . Having just checked two sunroofs the Mk2 is the same as your pic with the odd slit in the plastic on both sides ,the Mk 3 is different and doesn't have them .

As far as I know mine has no leaks  ,so this is probably a feature of the earlier cars .

Mine is a Mk2, yes.  Interestingly though, the fracture is not exactly the same length on both sides of the car, and it doesn't look clean enough to be a deliberate feature.  Maybe they all break here after a while?  Anyway, I've applied a smear of Wickes all-weather clear sealant (not silicone but co-polymer) to each side and will see what happens.  We're due for some heavy rain I understand, so I'll report back.

Thanks guys...

R

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links