Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone here using ethanol in their LS400? I've been mixing petrol and ethanol since I bought the car in october, and all works well so far. Normally I use a mix of 70/30 (p/e) but sometimes up to 60/40.

I have been told  that standard petrol can be between 5% and 20% ethanol in UK depending on what supplier is used

But not been able to verify that as a fact.

Ethanol attracts water, and I understand that it a petrol/ethonal mix, the water will seperate once the ethanol has attracted it, so it can sit at the bottom of a petrol tank, but once again i am no chemist, so not sure whether this leads to long term problems by drawing water (potentially) into the engine on start up.

I assume higher levels of ethanol will change the burning cycle in the cylinder chamber, so that makes me think the engine will not be running at optimum.

Also if Ethonal is less energy dense than petrol, it will lead to a loss in performance overall.

Adding Ethanol to petrol has come about due to EEC directives not the oil companies. Sneakily though, oil companies have not been forced to tell us 'gullibles' about it. There is ethanol in all unleaded that you buy except 'Super unleaded' (for some technical reason). I always fill with Superunleaded now. Ethanol, especially at the higher concentrations now being phased in over the next few years, does NOT do engines and fuel systems any good at all. Oil companies have specially adapted storage tanks for it and only mix it with their petrol when it goes into the tanker. Its corrosive and reacts highly with oxygen and is known to break down seals, gaskets, rubber, some plastics, copper, brass and will rust steel as well!  To add to that, mpg is also affected detrimentally, even if only slightly as it contains 30% less energy than petrol. Only newer cars are built to properly cope with it. The EEC 'green lobby' has got its way in the name of 'renewables'. Hurrah! (not).

In the US, most of the petrol sold is, actually, a petrol/ethanol mix - up to 30% ethanol. I drove across the American Mid-West not so long ago and, for over 1000 miles, there was nothing but corn (maize) fields. When I enquired who was eating all the sweetcorn, I was told that 80% of it goes towards producing ethanol.

It's all part of the plan to make the US self-sufficient in energy.

Hi Titch thanks for that. Was unaware, only use Shell fuels, but in fact it would appear from a quick search there are very few

suppliers not adding minimum 5% ethanol as per ec directive, even including Shell v power which is generally accepted as being beneficial.

The one thing I do not do is use cheap supermarket fuel, but that is my personal preference.

Cheers,

Roger

I've heard that Tesco petrol is the worst (lowest quality) but that Sainsburys's comes from BP.  True?  Now that fuel costs are low I'm using Shell Nitro V more and more.  It's supposed to the best.

E10 is widely sold in France I believe- some petrol stations I've seen appear to have nothing else. Yet to fit LPG which kit gathers dust in the various boxes but it was a saviour on my W40 when low on petrol and the only option was E10. 

Most wiser men than moi don't recommend it for older engines. Russian Roulette is not for me unless I have no choice, in which case I'll have to sort the LPG situation. 

• 2 weeks later...
I have been told  that standard petrol can be between 5% and 20% ethanol in UK depending on what supplier is used

But not been able to verify that as a fact.

Ethanol attracts water, and I understand that it a petrol/ethonal mix, the water will seperate once the ethanol has attracted it, so it can sit at the bottom of a petrol tank, but once again i am no chemist, so not sure whether this leads to long term problems by drawing water (potentially) into the engine on start up.

I assume higher levels of ethanol will change the burning cycle in the cylinder chamber, so that makes me think the engine will not be running at optimum.

Also if Ethonal is less energy dense than petrol, it will lead to a loss in performance overall.

You're right about ethanol in the petrol, here in the north they even add more during winter, and have been doing it for some time. Back in the day, one bought ethanol in the gas station and added it to the fuel, to prevent freezing.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links