Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I know this question has been asked previously but unable to locate the post, does anyone where in the fuse box to hard wire a nextbase dashcam on is200d (2010)? Thanks in advance

Had Halford's install my 512G...wired all time on to allow motion detector...but you can switch the camera on/off and take out of the car very easily.  Not sure of which fuse connection was actually used.  But they did say that if I wished the fuse position could be changed so that the camera would work only whilst the engine is running.

I've only had it a fortnight, very pleased but I am wary that if you leave the camera switched on and recording also stays on even though the car has been switched off you are liable to run down the Battery.  Takes a bit of getting used to but that's the users problem the camera works well.

223,000 (klms)  o/a 6.44 litres per 100k 43.9 mpg 2007 IS220d

Camera uses so little Battery, that it would takes weeks to run down you car Battery.

If you that worried I would suggest to get Battery pack ... like 20000mah ~£18 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/20000mAh-Portable-External-Charging-Technology/dp/B0183K0GZC/ref=sr_1_25?srs=2323115031&ie=UTF8&qid=1465547984&sr=8-25). Such Battery would last for a month for dashcam and if you use car regularly - forever. Additionally, if place and wired well you will get bonus on quick charge for phones,GPS etc.. 

under the bonnet :D There are 2 fuse boxes on the left (right hand side while looking from front of the car). One box is just net to Battery, and another one is behind the cover in front of the first one.

OK....I had a look for you but there is nothing evident regards the connection?  However I think I saw somewhere in the literature that the "Wiring Kit" designated for these cameras comes with its own fuse?

If this is the case all Halford's did was to make a connection to a permanent live with the additional fuse being between the camera and the connection....I looked also for a NEW wire under the bonnet, again nothing to be seen. I suspect a connection was picked up somewhere behind the dash itself and it's tucked away out of sight?  As stated before whilst  I have this gadget I know next to nothing about the tech side of installation etc.  Maybe something on Youtube?

In fact I would be surprised if they were to wire it all the way to engine compartment and fuse box. It can be simply tucked to cigarette lighter loop under the dash (again sounds more likely than wire to engine compartment). Otherwise, there might be some wiring already the cabin, which was designed to accommodate some kind of accessories and it was matter just to add fuse to that particular the loop. There are quite a few unused fuse sockets however it is hard to tell which of those are can actually enable existing loop..

One thing I am sure - they do not take wire all the way from cabin to engine compartment.. 

Yeah it most likely to be taken to fuse box behind the glove box/ passenger side.

Will need to look what is there on sunday when i get a moment to see how it can be done.

I did have a quick look on youtube but didnt find one relevant.

From what I've seen that appears to be the case I hope this helps jayt13.

Investigate the specific wiring kit....may not be in the box with camera....I believe it's a separate item and has a fuse as part of it's loom.

Managed to connect mine successfully this morning i was going to run it off the fuse for the cig but i didnt want to run the cable down the drivers side, so instead i'm running it off the heated seats  works like magic.

Technically speaking I would not share a line with any sensors or any equipment. Unless there is a line Lexus suggests to use or run a dedicated line. Aux socket is a better choice, though still not ideal.

18 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

Technically speaking I would not share a line with any sensors or any equipment. Unless there is a line Lexus suggests to use or run a dedicated line. Aux socket is a better choice, though still not ideal.

That is the reason for my question, because those sensors are know for being quite sensitive (I guess that is the point of sensor). I don't see how aux can provide enough power for DVR... many of which uses 5V 1A (the least) power. Unless you mean aux as cigarette lighter. 

cigarette lighter, yes.

change in voltage or noise from dash cam transfering over the power rail can mess the sensor up, theoratically. Will need to slap ferrite and caps to not upset the sensor so not worth the trouble. Testing needs to be done to make a conclusion so just run it from cig lighter or dedicated power.

That is my point. I wouldn't want to upset sensors.. I guess any other power source is fine, but not sensors.. because they might be very sensitive to voltage changes etc. Though as Garry reports it works this way - I wouldn't be confident it is the case for all DVRs (especially higher end and more power hungry).. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links