Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paint Chips On Bonnet

teabag

Hi All

I have just purchased a 2year old IS200 in strathcaron blue, it has a few paint chips on the bonnet, and a few which have all ready been touched in.

I would like to improve on the apearance, as best i can.

What is my best course of action, ie should I have the paint chips touched in, or is a bonnet respray the best way of dealing with them, and would I need to go to my main dealer, (for the respray of bonnet).

I think I have read somewhare on this site of a paint protection system on offer, but I have been unable to find it again.

many thanks Ken

My car had the bonnet resprayed before I picked it up (it was 3 years old when I got it) and it looks like new, so from my angle the respray at the dealers was very good..

As for the protection, are you thinking about Supaguard?? I don't think that protects against chips it just makes it easier to clean ???

If you decide to touch it up yourself in the meanwhile , use a toothpick/cocktail stick instead of a brush, and drop a small drop of paint into the chip. Remember its easier and neater to add more than to remove too much.....Don't wash or polish the car for a week after.

:sick: How much are you lads talkin' ( for bonnet re-spray ? ) . I got mi motor for £6700 through work ( bargain ) but the bonnet is peppered.

Now that does sound a bargain!

About £100 - £150 for the bonnet sorting... Probably closer to £100

• 2 months later...

A trick a friend showed me some time ago was to use the toothpick trick as mentioned above - then leave it to dry for about a week - as mentioned above.

The initial 'blob' will likely protrude but do not be tempted to remove any paint as it will shrink as it dries and may need more to protrude the surface.

The next stage is to put some brasso soaked cloth on a lolly stick and gently rub in a circular motion. If done correctly the lolly stick prevents the brasso from rubbing the area around the 'blob' and is much like the snadpaper on a block of wood trick.

It takes ages but the end result is worth it.

the paint protection u are talking about is a clear plastic that is put over the bonnet, the only problem is that most companies that do this product only do it in a 30 ish CM width so it will only protect the very front section, i have it on my car and think it is great - only had 1 chip in about 4 years. there are various companies that do it - just search for " paint protection" on yahoo

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links