Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi   I appear to be having a small gearbox problem and could do with some advise.

The following only occurs in the first half a mile of a cold start, the car will pull away from start normally and drive  with no problems, however braking when I approach the first speed bump from my house  or any other reason to slow right down, reapplying the power causes the gearbox to "scrabble" for a gear selecting 1st, then 2nd, before decding on 3rd this all happens in about  1-1.5 seconds, the car then carries on as mormal with no more indications of any fault (gear change silky smooth)

Anybody got any clues, have been thinking about changing the oil,but not sure as this seems to be a grey area ?

Cheers Ken

Manufacturers sealed for life claims, doesn't mean forever. I don't know how old you car is but a fluid and filter change would be my first action.

I had a BMW 525 E39 a while ago, a fluid change on the "sealed for life transmission", made a world of difference

I also would go for oil change. Maybe while oil is still cold and thick pump got problem to build up the pressure.

Try eventually warm up gearbox a little bit before driving. Start the car let it run for a while change gears few times while stationary.  

• Like 1

I had something similar on my last  55 plate gs300 i got the local Toyota dealership to do a drain and refill which by the way is the reccomended way they charged me £65 and it transformed it it was smooth before after i had run a couple of miles as it was hanging on to 3rd gear for a bit longer than normal and reving a bit higher but Toyota said it was normal but the drain /refill made it a lot better and i never noticed ever again.

I only used Toyota as it is only a couple of miles from where i live all my other things servicing etc is done at Lexus Sheffield

Robert

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links