Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Burning smell from engine :(

Hi All

I have a really bad burning smell coming from the engine of my car IS250 2006.

I recently changed all for wheels (old ones were corroded) which came with good tyres. Yesterday I drove the car from morning and parked up a few times but there was no smell. Later in the evening I drove the car with in sports mode and used the flaps to give it some for about 10 seconds at lights (first time i did this by the way - I have kids with me so never dream of it) When I parked up there was a very bad burning rubber/plastic smell, I just assumed it must be the breaks from the pulling.

However later when I picked my kids up, drove home 3 miles - I parked the car and the smell was very bad so I quickly checked all the wheels to see if they were hot or if the smell was coming from them as I changed the wheel in the day before. The wheels were not hot but the front passenger one had a bit of smell but not hot. I opened up the bonnet and the smell was coming from the engine near passenger side.

Any ideas what it could be?

Last things i did: Washed and waxed the car, changed the wheels went for test drive everything normal. Evening 10 seconds in sports mode.

Have I damaged something?

I guys forgot to add the car is an Auto - Petrol.

Also there is no smell in the cabin smell only on the outside and I think stronger on the passenger side under the bonnet from what I can tell.

Thank you

3 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

Are the wheels and tyres same size. My car is in sport mode all the time, and im a spirited driver. So cant see how any damage done there.

Is the battery ok nothing much else on that side. Is the pulley belt in good condition also.

Hi Madasahetter, yes the tyres are all the same brand and size is all as should be, plus after the tyre change I took for a spin and all normal.

Battery should be good as only had it like 1.5 years new from Lexus.

I will check the belts this evening. Is this something I can do and see or does a mechanic need to do it?

Yes when you open the bonnet take the front cover off, and you will have a good view of the belt. This is a job you can do yourself. Have you added oil

recently a little spilt on manifold would also cause what you say. Also brake fluid smokes as well.

As you describe the smell of rubber/plastic.. it is hard to say. I would say rubbing tire, but you have already checked those, the only other thing rubber there is auxiliary belt and it would be rubbing it would be easy to notice, surely not only smell but as well noise.

I guess oil/brake fluid theory is as well not matching the smell you described.

The smell is more from the engine than the wheels or tyres as I checked that first being the last thing I changed on the car.

I have not topped up the oil as the car had service 2 or 3 months ago.

I will check this evening and inspect further under the bonnet, maybe leave it running. Someone did say about plastic carrier bag so will look under to see if anything is stuck.

There is no funny noises by the way.

Hi guys the smell is still there took it for a small spin and even before the car fully warmed up the smell started so had a look and took pictures of the area the smell is coming from. 

The belt looks good to me and tight

Hi Linas, the smell is still very strong and just came home after a short drive, the smell is noticable while stationary with Windows open. That area in the picture is where the smell is coming from. I thought it might be leads but checked as much as I could and can't see anything obvious however there are a few cables in that area.

dont know if I would be causing more problem driving the car, but feels normal and drives smooth.

one thing I noticed with the engine cover off and while revving. There is a 2 second lag which makes a air out noise before the  engine revs.....like releasing gas or something. Don't know if this normal.

Thanks Linas. I know it's hard to tell what it is without seeing the car but thought I can narrow down one by one.

Anyone know any good garages in Central London 

Hi guys took another look today. Could the alternator be failing if so will it smell like rubber plastic as that's where the smell is coming from what I think (looks a bit like lots of copper coils in it)

car runs smooth and no other issues

Update: So this smell was killing me not knowing what or where it was coming from and how. Looked everywhere but could not locate it so booked the car with the dealer for a few days time, however the smell has completely gone away and all is sweet as a nut.

Its so strange how it just appeared and then disappeared! I am so glad its gone :)

It could have been a plastic bag or something who knows.

Most likely a plastic bag getting stuck to something hot and smelling really bad. We used to do this as pranks back in the day, albeit, we used to stick kippers and plastic bags under out friend's exhaust box after he'd parked up straight after a drive. The exhaust was still hot so it'd stick. Then when he'd drive it stunk like mad!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. Okay so my problem with burning smell was only fixed temporarily and last night I was rescued by the AA.

While driving I lost all power and Battery sign came on. Opened the bonnet and that burning smell was there. Turns out it was the alternator gone and short circuiting.

AA guy used 2 new batteries from his van so that I could drive home about 2 miles from where I broke down.

Anyone ever had alternator replaced? What's cost am I looking at :(

Should I go Lexus as independent garage which is open today says £400 for part non-Lexus and £90 for Labour :(

Just now, madasahatter said:

9 minutes ago, Ishaq said:

Hi guys. Okay so my problem with burning smell was only fixed temporarily and last night I was rescued by the AA.

While driving I lost all power and battery sign came on. Opened the bonnet and that burning smell was there. Turns out it was the alternator gone and short circuiting.

AA guy used 2 new batteries from his van so that I could drive home about 2 miles from where I broke down.

Anyone ever had alternator replaced? What's cost am I looking at :(

Should I go Lexus as independent garage which is open today says £400 for part non-Lexus and £90 for Labour :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS250-ALTERNATOR-ALT30537-/311554579244?fits=Car+Make%3ALexus&hash=item488a199b2c:g:P-IAAOSwll1Wzw2D

Thanks Madasahatter. Will be phoning around Monday as need to be on the road by next weekend. Possible need a new Battery aswell as current one is completely dead due to the alternator. However only had it just over 2 years so might phone Lexus to see what they say as I got it from the dealer. Maybe they give me new one.

36 minutes ago, Ishaq said:

Thanks Madasahatter. Will be phoning around Monday as need to be on the road by next weekend. Possible need a new battery aswell as current one is completely dead due to the alternator. However only had it just over 2 years so might phone Lexus to see what they say as I got it from the dealer. Maybe they give me new one.

Main thing no fire, Yes asking dealer about Battery is worth a try. Just tell them its failed, most batteries have 3 - 4 -5 year garantee nowadays.

Think they are a bit of a pain to fit, looking at videos on utube.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links