Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dear Everybody,

I have a GS 450h that I bought in the UK. I use my car abroad and I have a question about converting the fuel consumption. 

When I want to convert Miles/Gallon to Liter/100 kilometer should I use Miles/Gallon(UK) or Miles/Gallon(US)?

If car is UK spec then UK gallons if it is imported from US then US gallons :)

For 99.99% it will be UK gallons. Or just fill it up drive till tank gets empty and do standard math like in the old days.

4 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I agree, use UK, BUT NEVER NEVER let your tank get to empty.

Regards

John

Thank you! I read the manual and I know that never let my tank get to empty. 

15 minutes ago, Hangie said:

If car is UK spec then UK gallons if it is imported from US then US gallons :)

For 99.99% it will be UK gallons. Or just fill it up drive till tank gets empty and do standard math like in the old days.

Yes, my car is UK specification. Thank you for your answer!

First of all, definitely UK gallons if it's a UK car but as to the other bit I'd say it depends on how long you're abroad and if you're living there or coming back to the UK regularly. What I mean is, even when driving around Europe on holiday, litres/100km means nothing to me but if you're living out there and want to fully get into the metric mindset, fair enough. Some metric measurements seem 'natural' and easy to use, but with this, I always think in terms of miles/gallon and always will - much like I'll always think in terms of pints of beer rather than half-litres :biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, piasek said:

MPG doesn't make any sense since we buy fuel in liters. l/100km are much easier to give you true consumption, it's basically l/60miles.

MPG makes perfect sense to me. Like I said, some metric units seem natural to use and are easy, but for me, MPG is more normal and natural - and I can't see myself changing after 42 years of using MPG. Mind you, last time I went to the timber supply place I asked for 6 pieces of 3" x 2" at 1.6m long! :biggrin:

It make sense as you used to it as people on the continent used to l/100km.

Any advantage that l/100km got it is  easier to calculate cost (especially if you work in km not miles) if you care about it. Lets say you need to drive from London to Manchester which is 200 miles  (320km). If you car use 8L/100km then you will burn 3.2*8 = 25.6L. 25.6 *1.1 per litter = £28.16. Now how to do similar calculation quickly with MPG ? Maybe there is a way like converting Fahrenheit  into Calvin/Celsius but I'm not aware of anything simple.

Beside above both measurement are fine where if you fill up in litres L/100km are easier to convert into money and when you fill up in gallons (like in US) MPG is easier.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links