Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Where is the sweet spot in the RX range?

My wife loves the look of rx and I am a big fan of Lexus cars. An RX will most likely be our next family car unless the NX falls in to our price range in the next 18 months. 

From poking around the 450 premiere seems to be top spec and decent power. Am i missing something or does that sound about right. Looking at 20k ish. 

Stu

With your permission Stu, I'll be following this thread with interest.

We plan our next vehicle to be an RX next May time, looking at spending £20k ish too.

Did you spot the pdf tht Monte linked on one of the threads...very useful list of models, specs and dates ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stuno1 said:

My wife loves the look of rx and I am a big fan of Lexus cars. An RX will most likely be our next family car unless the NX falls in to our price range in the next 18 months. 

From poking around the 450 premiere seems to be top spec and decent power. Am i missing something or does that sound about right. Looking at 20k ish. 

Stu

There is no power difference between the different trim levels so all have decent power - mid range is best though - it'll take on a Cayenne hybrid with much more power (and win) between 30-50mph and 50-70mph. 

The premier is the top trim and has all the goodies, however, I think the Advance is the best in the range in terms of value and what you actually get. It has better looks due to the F-Sport bumper but maintains the ride comfort of the luxury. The best bit however, is that it comes with the pan roof as standard. Some of the later models got Mark levinson system as standard as well I believe.

• Like 1

I did not, thank you. I'll take a look. Like everyone I would like the highest spec, reasonable mileage and not too old a car for my money! There seem to be quite a few variants of the RX so I am hoping some wiser folk can help narrow the choices in terms of engine capacity and face lift years etc 

2 minutes ago, rayaans said:

There is no power difference between the different trim levels so all have decent power - mid range is best though - it'll take on a Cayenne hybrid with much more power (and win) between 30-50mph and 50-70mph. 

The premier is the top trim and has all the goodies, however, I think the Advance is the best in the range in terms of value and what you actually get. It has better looks due to the F-Sport bumper but maintains the ride comfort of the luxury. The best bit however, is that it comes with the pan roof as standard. Some of the later models got Mark levinson system as standard as well I believe.

This is the sort of info I am after 😃

3 hours ago, Stuno1 said:

I did not, thank you. I'll take a look. Like everyone I would like the highest spec, reasonable mileage and not too old a car for my money! There seem to be quite a few variants of the RX so I am hoping some wiser folk can help narrow the choices in terms of engine capacity and face lift years etc 

OK so essentially, the actual engine and hybrid setup remain the same from 2009-2015. All are 295hp regardless of trim.

The facelift was in 2012 where DRL's were added. Now what the link doesn't tell you is that the shocks were changed in 2012 to give the RX a better ride and hence its probably better to go for a facelifted RX, not to mention it looks better IMO.

I would say the pick of the range is the Advance from 2014 onwards in terms of value. Something I forgot to mention is that the LED lights are a must have IMO, they're awesome at night, the xenon's don't even come close. Also be aware that the Premier has air suspension. AFAIK, there's not been many failures on 450h but they cost a bomb if they go. The ride is not much more different either so not really worth moving to a Premier for the air suspension alone. 

The F-Sport is great as it has the heads up display. It has lateral dampers to reduce vibration but the PDF doesn't mention that it also has stiffened suspension. It rolls a lot less compared to the other models and I got it because it looks better and comes with decent handling. I felt the other RX's rolled a bit too much.

The PDF also doesn't mention that the Premier has semi-aniline leather i.e. it requires a lot more care and its rather delicate compared to the leather used in other trim levels.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

We went for the 2014 Advance model and as Rayaans said they are the best value.We got the electric sunroof with ours(either was an option from new)and all the other goodies that we wanted were standard with the advance, including sport front bumper and cornering headlamps plus sport mode when needed.We have had ours a year now and really enjoy it,boot space is a lot better than our previous NX as well.

• 1 month later...

You can't go wrong with any RX450 - take a pick!

I looked around and given I was confused, went for the Premier range for couple of reasons. Aniline leather, heated and cooled seats, woodpack finish, ML system, air suspension, ACC/PCS as standard, sun roof standard got me hooked....

Enjoy the ride.

I'm interested in this myself as my wife and I are also looking for an RX.  We have already driven a few models and I agree with Rayaans.  The post 2012 Luxury is a very nice car indeed and unless you especially want more of a drivers car (which isn't what these are all about) the pick of the range does seem to be the post 2012 Luxury or Advance.  I am still waiting for a test drive of the F-sport but have already discounted the premier due to additional unnecessary complexity and risk of huge bills should one go wrong.  No marque is 100% reliable despite the claims and knowing our luck, we'd be the ones with a bill for a compressor or suspension replacement....no thanks.  It also carries more weight I think (would I be right in thinking the Premier is about 100Kg heavier?).  Rayaans has also mentioned the leather. We have a similar spec leather in our GS as the Premier and it does require more care.  Properly treated though (which involves cleaning with a leather care product for moisturising the leather about 3 or 4 times annually) its no big deal. I preferred the seats in the Luxury spec personally speaking.

I have come to the conclusion with the RX that keeping it as simple as possible but well specified as possible = either F-sport, Luxury or Advance. As I already have the Mark Levinson system in my current GS, I wouldn't want a lesser system in the replacement, so would look for a model fitted with that.  Ride and handling on post 2012 models seems much improved from the ship-like (frankly appalling) ride in the older model. Everything just seems that bit stiffer and more controlled.  It'll never rival the GS for poise on the road though.  It's too heavy and high for that.  Take that into account and the three models mentioned seem to be where the best value is and for peace of mind!  I would be interested if the F-sport sacrifices ride quality, so am waiting for a test drive as sport models often make the ride harsher.  If it pulls off good compliance on the bumps with improved control, it'll seem a no-brainer.

Hi , I can't say the ride in my RX 400h has ever been appalling as GSLV6 said.. I don't recognise that statement. It's always been the most comfortable ride I've ever had in a car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I rode in an older one (passenger)and it was like being in a sailing boat around the bends and fairly thumpy over the bumps.  By the standards of the car I had at the time, it was appalling, truly it was.  Only speaking as I found it and I have no idea what condition the suspension might have been in, or the tyres for that matter but I wasn't impressed.  I just think the newer ones have improved a reasonable amount.

1 hour ago, GSLV6 said:

I rode in an older one (passenger)and it was like being in a sailing boat around the bends and fairly thumpy over the bumps.  By the standards of the car I had at the time, it was appalling, truly it was.  Only speaking as I found it and I have no idea what condition the suspension might have been in, or the tyres for that matter but I wasn't impressed.  I just think the newer ones have improved a reasonable amount.

Sounds like worn bushes on that particular car to me.

My previous RX300 was like riding in a magic carpet - best ride Ive ever experience in any car for less than £40k.

The F-Sport is borderline harsh, worth remembering so you're not overly disappointed.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, Can anyone point me in the direction whether there had ever been a thread where the Mark Levinson Subwoofer had been upgraded to an after market one with better Bass output. Many Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links