Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just cleaned these today as well and doing the obligatory fluid changes (oil / filter etc)

Pictures are of the two sets of front slide pins (before and after a clean. I clean these every 6 months (ish) just so happens this time it has been 8 months since the last clean. No problems with the fronts - grease still quite clean although a bit dirty on one pin - all the rubber seals are fine.

The bottom rear pin recesses on both sides still had grease in them but not that much to be honest so I think I caught these just in time - also the rubber recesses on the top of the caliper were a bit lacking in grease - guess they take more of a beating to the front pins.

Definitely think a 6 month check on these is worth while...

Before and after  - pins were the same on both sides

IMAG1715.jpg

P1060714.JPG

BOTTOM

P1060715.JPG

P1060716.JPG

• Like 2

You topic just in time, I was checking my suspension twice without any "luck" - in the way that mechanics haven't found anything wrong with it. One comment I got was that driver side's pins are slightly worn and loose, so will replace both sides soon, just can't find set of parts. There below look like top pin:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/122215791535?clk_rvr_id=1129851139229&vectorid=229508&lgeo=1&item=122215791535&rmvSB=true

And if I am not mistaken bottom ones has rubber bushes, like ones below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPER-SLIDER-PIN-BUSH-LEXUS-IS-GS-TOYOTA-ALPHARD-AVENSIS-PREVIA/122223374139?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D90631e1f61584e77a50b13afdb8fedcd%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D122215791535

but then I need different pins with recess for bush, which I couldn't find. It would be great if I can find something like these for mk1:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS200-1999-2005-2-X-FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPER-SLIDER-PIN-KITS-BCF1341FX2/262029670686?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3Dc1abd017a21848b28933d4f8c5aa2dbd%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D122223374139

Where do you source your parts from, any idea if dealerships have them in sets or something similar and maybe somebody knows what would be the price?

I have been lucky to not need to buy any slide pins - always stuck to cleaning and re-greasing every 6 months or so - I would rather spend an hour doing this than replacing the calpiers at what would cost £1k+

I very much doubt that your slide pins are worn and loose - possibly if the rubber rattle shim is missing but I cant see the pins wearing? I have even taken off the rubber shims in the past on my is200 as they had split and it didn't make any difference with them off.

A wrong choice of grease would be worse as if using the wrong type then it will lead to seizure with the rubber seals also goosed.

How did your mechanic come to the conclusion the pins were worn - did he take them out of the calipers to check them?

You can try and get a cost of a set of these from Lexus but I think it would be cheaper buying a bar of gold ...!

• Like 1

Newbie, a man after my own heart :thumbup:

Easy job to check as often as you can. I do mine every year, never had a problem, except when I first bought the car and did them.

Its just an easy peasy job to do the brakes front and back in a couple of hours on the drive, especially if the suns shining.

1 hour ago, Verbout said:

Newbie, a man after my own heart :thumbup:

Easy job to check as often as you can. I do mine every year, never had a problem, except when I first bought the car and did them.

Its just an easy peasy job to do the brakes front and back in a couple of hours on the drive, especially if the suns shining.

:yahoo:

Calipers seizing on the IS models (not sure of other models) is a known problem (both the Mk I and the Mk II's) - its not part of the service schedule undertaken by Lexus, it should be but it isn't and its a known problem so the first sign something is wrong is when the brakes have seized and you come to use them and theres nothing there when you try to stop (extreme case) Either way you are goosed. Its a disappointment Lexus did not take heed of the issue on the MK I IS's and resolved the problem when they released the Mk II's.

If the dealer finds the problem in due course through a service then its a replacement part at a cost of £350+ whereas a bit of attention during the life of the part should see it last certainly for the life of the car if looked after at zero cost, just a bit of time to keep them working. It takes 10 minutes, at most to do each corner - not a big deal to secure peace of mind and its also a good opportunity to check the pads and other rubber boots etc in the wheel arch that are open to the weather.

The only option for some owners is to put there cars into the dealer when there is an issue with them and take the hit on the cost of the replacement caliper - they will not replace individual components such as the pins, just the complete part which in the case of a seized caliper, would be the complete unit at a cost and if you consider 4, again an extreme case, seized calipers, that's a cost of over £1000 to replace for the sake of an hours work. I like to look after my cars and find out how parts like this works.

Pads on mine were last changed 2 years ago on the front and still have quite a bit of meat on them - rears (both pads and shoes) more recently and I am pretty sure that the ratio of use between the front and back is different (shoes i am sure were original ones from the factory) If I had left the greasing of the pins to coincide with the changing of the pads etc then they certainly would have been seized by the time I came to do it ...so 6 months for me, a year at a push, is enough time before i will check to see if they are working as they should be and enough time to identify if there are any issues with them. However, I know there are issues with them and ignoring it would be both false economy and would be placing myself at risk. As it is, I don't know how long if left unchecked, it would take for them to seize but I am not about to find out. Its good advice for any owner of an IS to check them periodically as there are issues with them which most IS owners know about.

In my opinion, problems with the brakes on cars should be on a recall until the issues are resolved as it puts risk into using the vehicle not only for the driver but other road users also but for what ever reason this is not the case for these cars? The manufacturers would soon resolve the issue if they were faced with all owners issuing them with failure reports on their brakes.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, I think original Lexus owners have too much money. Not us lot - I mean the leasing companies, businesses and a few well-heeled individuals who buy new Lexus cars. If the brakes are not maintained properly (slide pins cleaned and greased) during the first two to three years, they will seize. Lexus dealers just report to these 'rich' owners that new calipers are required and they (the owners) say 'OK - go ahead' (That's what they told me when they did the safety inspection during the fuel gasket recall - needless to say I didn't say 'OK'!). (There was nothing wrong with my calipers but the rear discs were corroded).

So these cars arrive in the used car market at three to five years old having had no brake maintenance (except possibly new pads (or calipers!)) fitted at some point. Shortly after we buy them, the sliders seize if nothing is done.

Beware - check your slide pins regularly, depending on mileage and use - 6 months might be a bit OTT but certainly annually is not.

BTW - this is a feature with most Japanese cars (my MX-5 is just the same). It doesn't apply to European cars, which for some reason, I think due to the detailed caliper design, don't suffer in the same way. Japanese cars which are clones of European cars don't suffer, either - eg Mazda3 (clone of Ford Focus) etc.

@piasek, how can you criticise us owners that err on the side of caution by checking our brakes regularly?

"Too much time on our hands" it's a couple hours work once a year for me with toilet and tea breaks. :lol: Hardly a time consuming job.

And a Passat is not a Lexus, chalk and cheese.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, piasek said:

I don't criticise anyone but if you tell me that you need to check and maintain brakes every 6 months in Lexus to make sure that car is safe to drive it shouldn't be allowed on the road. I think I will stick with Passat that only need to be filled up with diesel every 500-600 miles. Actually I won't I like my LS too much and I'm sure that caliper maintanace when changing the pads is sufficient enough.

I don't think newbie needs to check his brakes every six months, I don't do it that often, but he chooses to.

As for your LS regime, your choice. :)

48 minutes ago, Verbout said:

I don't think newbie needs to check his brakes every six months, I don't do it that often, but he chooses to.

As for your LS regime, your choice. :)

Yes - I agree with the above, its my choice - I do it when I am changing the oil etc - got into the routine of doing so.... probably OTT but for the sake of an hour max I like to keep them in check. Like I said in the original post - probably go a year at a push without checking them but as I am doing the service on the car then I will do it every 6 months or so and that way its all done. It so happens it was approx. 8 months this time since I checked them last - a couple of reasons I reckon its good to check them ....

1. Before the winter when there's salt and grit on the road getting in the rubber seals if they are shot

2. before the summer when its wet (our summer I am talking about here!!) so its good to know the condition of the rubber seals which is where the issues stem from - why do we all put winter tyres on in the winter...as its safer to drive, well flip this around, the checks I am doing in a different respect are the same.

Exactly my point on having to check the brakes - Lexus should have taken the responsibility in recalling these to resolve the problem when it was first realized there was an issue ------ safe to drive on the road..... mine is completely safe.... why?... because I do the checks.

I guess its personal preference and having the time and space to do it.

I had my left rear brake caliper replaced by Lexus due to seized pins - and I had the right one changed to be on the safe side as got a good deal on it. a year later and the service manager (Toyota this time) tells me that the left rear pin is stuck and new caliper needed. I didn't say ok - got home, disassembled the caliper, and it was just about rotating but not sliding on the pin at all  - had to hammer it gently to free it up. Cleaned and greased the pins and back to good as new. Also did the other callipers at the same time, and found the right front had a very sticky pin as well. Didn't find much grease on any of the pins. So add my vote to the regular checking brigade!

• Like 2

Well done firstly for not taking the "technicians" word as gospel and secondly for doing it yourself.

I can't stress enough how easy a job it is, and once all is in order a routine service check to keep on top of it.

• Like 1

replaced my rear discs and pads yesterday, found both rear pins seized solid, bit of heat and a tap with a mallet got them out, cleaned them up with a bit of wet and dry, new seals and plenty of grease and they now work perfectly. think it will have to become an annual check from now on... like egr and servicing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JamieG4454 said:

replaced my rear discs and pads yesterday, found both rear pins seized solid, bit of heat and a tap with a mallet got them out, cleaned them up with a bit of wet and dry, new seals and plenty of grease and they now work perfectly. think it will have to become an annual check from now on... like egr and servicing.

Initially, I would check them after 6 months (hot bed of contention at the moment) only because you want to be sure enough grease has been put on to give you an indication next time on the amount to add.

You can actually add too much... also a good idea to check the pins around 6 months to see if the choice of grease is a good one...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links