Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Very, Very strange noise coming from the LS!

On 12/2/2016 at 6:02 PM, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Hi Tinonline

Yes, I had wondered wether nearly 15 years down the line this sort of thing is normal but it is more of a rumbling whiring noise than a whine, and to be honest considering how amazing the LS is, it doesn't sound good at all. 

Alex 

Hi Alex

Sounds like a bearing in one of the pulleys? Be a bit unusual for a big end in one of these engines surely...?

Here's a recording from a cold start this morning with the temp gauge nailed to well under cold!

Apologies for accompanying noises and for occasionally getting too close to the engine with the phone so that it drowns the sound.

Whilst, there is a clear and distinctive whine and more. Done with bonnet up and then from inside the car.

History: Verified mileage 79k; cambelt, w/pump, all pulleys except cooling bracket one about 7k miles ago, new aux belt, spark plugs, engine oil change days ago. Fluid levels ok.

Everything quietens down when warm.

Simon

Lexus400 Cold Start (1).m4a

2 hours ago, Tinonline said:

Hi Alex

Sounds like a bearing in one of the pulleys? Be a bit unusual for a big end in one of these engines surely...?

Here's a recording from a cold start this morning with the temp gauge nailed to well under cold!

Apologies for accompanying noises and for occasionally getting too close to the engine with the phone so that it drowns the sound.

Whilst, there is a clear and distinctive whine and more. Done with bonnet up and then from inside the car.

History: Verified mileage 79k; cambelt, w/pump, all pulleys except cooling bracket one about 7k miles ago, new aux belt, spark plugs, engine oil change days ago. Fluid levels ok.

Simon

Hello there Simon. Thank you so much for taking the time to do that for me. 

The whine sounds like me wheezing a couple of months back when I had pneumonia:biggrin:. When you get into the car, I can hear that rumbling! It sounds rather like the noise in mine, only in my case it sewers to go away after about 10 seconds or when put into drive. Perhaps this is normal for an older car? I noticed after washing the car this morning that the engine coolant was at the LOW level:unsure: and filled it up and haven't heard the noise when starting it up after that, but on starting up i'm pretty sure I heard a bit of a judder(perhaps my imagination as I'm paranoid now) 

We'll be heading out in the car in about an hour so will see what startup is like then. 

Alex 

Just now, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Hello there Simon. Thank you so much for taking the time to do that for me. 

The whine sounds like me wheezing a couple of months back when I had pneumonia:biggrin:. When you get into the car, I can hear that rumbling! It sounds rather like the noise in mine, only in my case it sewers to go away after about 10 seconds or when put into drive. Perhaps this is normal for an older car? I noticed after washing the car this morning that the engine coolant was at the LOW level:unsure: and filled it up and haven't heard the noise when starting it up after that, but on starting up i'm pretty sure I heard a bit of a judder(perhaps my imagination as I'm paranoid now) 

We'll be heading out in the car in about an hour so will see what startup is like then. 

Alex 

Oh dear, I meant "seems" 

sorry :laugh:

8 hours ago, Tinonline said:

Hi Alex

Simon

Evening Simon,

On starting up the car earlier this evening, all sounded fine and nothing out of the ordinary!!?? 

Although I am 99% sure it will be there tomorrow morning:sad: Anyway it's Christmas holidays in just under two weeks so I will have to sort this out once and for all when there is enough time and i'll be in the car most of the time:yahoo:

Cheers

Alex 

• 3 weeks later...

As you face the engine from front open bonnet.

left front, round silver tank with a black screw cap. Sits on top of power steering pump/pulley.

Picture is without engine cover but you can see here. This is a side on view from driver's side.

IMG_1186.JPG

Hi all,

A little update- now the noise is present less on startup but will suddenly come along out of the blue, usually when cornering or slowing down then stopping in traffic!!?? Although the noise is much fainter and more sporadic, it goes away in a few seconds now most of the time. 

Anyway, tomorrow i'll be replacing the trunk and bonnet struts on our other ls430(2001,gold colour) as they keep falling on my head, almost causing a serious injury:ohmy: 

Alex

9 hours ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Hi all,

A little update- now the noise is present less on startup but will suddenly come along out of the blue, usually when cornering or slowing down then stopping in traffic!!?? Although the noise is much fainter and more sporadic, it goes away in a few seconds now most of the time. 

Anyway, tomorrow i'll be replacing the trunk and bonnet struts on our other ls430(2001,gold colour) as they keep falling on my head, almost causing a serious injury:ohmy: 

Alex

Before I replaced the bonnet struts on a previous LS it came crashing down on my head, very nearly knocked me out!

4 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Before I replaced the bonnet struts on a previous LS it came crashing down on my head, very nearly knocked me out!

Thank goodness you are okay Phil, that happened to me many times.

Unfortunately looks like the struts will have to wait for today because I am helping the folks cook a christmas meal for tomorrow night:ohmy:! We'll be using the red lex with the good struts though, so that means no concussions on Christmas Eve, ha ha!:yahoo:, and the gold lexus gets a break from the rain and mud around here. 

Alex 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Thank goodness you are okay Phil, that happened to me many times.

Unfortunately looks like the struts will have to wait for today because I am helping the folks cook a christmas meal for tomorrow night:ohmy:! We'll be using the red lex with the good struts though, so that means no concussions on Christmas Eve, ha ha!:yahoo:, and the gold lexus gets a break from the rain and mud around here. 

Alex 

My wife would probably tell you it knocked some sense into me, bur clearly it didn't as I'm on my third LS since it happened!

It was nasty though as it was the corner of the bonnet that hit me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

My wife would probably tell you it knocked some sense into me, bur clearly it didn't as I'm on my third LS since it happened!

It was nasty though as it was the corner of the bonnet that hit me.

Sounds nasty  but luckily nothing worse thank goodness. What LS did you have before this one?

Alex 

2 hours ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Sounds nasty  but luckily nothing worse thank goodness. What LS did you have before this one?

Alex 

It was  another LS430 but it was the MK4 LS400 prior to that which tried to despatch me by fitting me out with a heavy metal hat.

1 minute ago, The-Acre said:

It was  another LS430 but it was the MK4 LS400 prior to that which tried to despatch me by fitting me out with a heavy metal hat.

Yes, these cars do have minds of their own, they are almost human:yes::unsure:

The true story about the CD changer that spoke to us is one for a rainy day...................:w00t:

Btw, I got the struts from my neighbour's scrap ls430 which I was posting about here a while back, so a great free fix:yahoo: 

• Like 2

Tinonline

As you face the engine from front open bonnet. left front, round silver tank with a black screw cap. Sits on top of power steering pump/pulley.

Dendonc

Ahh, yes I know that cylinder, problem with my cylinder is that it has (I think) nothing written on the top of the cap like yours has........I called Halfords today for the fluid & they say they have it for my car at one of their bigger stores not to far from here, Xmas thanks......

UPDATE:

So this morning, I went outside to the car and checked the automatic transmission fluid level (finally worked out how to do it), to my surprise, it was full!!!!!

And so this noise has to be something more serious:unsure::wallbash::wallbash:

I know that new fluid would have been expensive but I was really hoping that that would solve the problem and see the end of the noise, which happens less frequently now but usually when parked on any gradient. The other night, we went to friends and got in the car to drive back(parked on hill) and the noise came along very very loudly and lasted a good ten seconds I think:w00t: and went away just a little after we started reversing. 

Any more ideas guys? Thanks for all the help already. I just hope that this isn't some major transmission problem. The car has done 90,000 miles and no lights have illuminated to say anything is wrong. I have cherished it for over a decade so am really worried now. 

Sorry about length

Alex 

I can't help thinking you need to take it to a competent mechanic or main dealer to get a proper diagnosis.  Driving it with an unidentified noise could cause further and more serious problems.  You may be fortunate enough to find it's not something major.  Keep us posted though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I can't help thinking you need to take it to a competent mechanic or main dealer to get a proper diagnosis.  Driving it with an unidentified noise could cause further and more serious problems.  You may be fortunate enough to find it's not something major.  Keep us posted though.

Yes Phil, that is indeed the sensible approach and I think that there is no more working around it. It looks like it will have to be the nearest Lexus stealership at this rate:wallbash:

Unfortunately it will prob be very booked up for a while now but i'll have to see.

Watch this space, i'll let u all know what happens eventually as it does. 

Alex 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Yes Phil, that is indeed the sensible approach and I think that there is no more working around it. It looks like it will have to be the nearest Lexus stealership at this rate:wallbash:

Unfortunately it will prob be very booked up for a while now but i'll have to see.

Watch this space, i'll let u all know what happens eventually as it does. 

Alex 

Sometimes we just have to bite the bullet (whatever that means) we're all very interested to know what the problem is.  I hope it works out costing you just an arm (or less) that way you can save the leg for a rainy day!

4 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Sometimes we just have to bite the bullet (whatever that means) we're all very interested to know what the problem is.  I hope it works out costing you just an arm (or less) that way you can save the leg for a rainy day!

Yes, indeed. 

Probably end up being an appointment in January though, but I do have possibly in mind a guy I know who did the bearings who could perhaps take a look before then. Anyway, i'll let you all know know how things go and when. Cheers

Alex  

• 4 weeks later...

******UPDATE******

Hello people, yes, it's me again with an update on this damn noise, ha ha! 

So, the lex is booked in for Sat AM with the guy who did the wheel bearings for it not so long ago. He is a lovely chap and thinks(quite rightly:yes:) that the car is the best thing since sliced bread!:yahoo:When I described the noise to him he suggested that it would most likely be the air compressor for the suspension, and the more I think about it the more I am convinced. Usually the noise is at startup when on uneven camber or if you start it up whilst sitting down inside it, then if someone gets out, then the noise comes on slightly- presumably as the suspension is having to raise just a tiny bit and so the compressor has to do its job even harder, perhaps as there is a leek in its air or something. 

Anyway I wonder how long the car will be in for and the cost:wallbash:Oh well, at least that means that the gold lex can spend some time out of the garage, ha ha! 

Btw, when I say 'gold Lex' I mean our 2001 gold coloured LS. I'll have to take some pics of it for u all as I don't think I have posted any on the LOC of it yet. 

Watch this space, and again thanks for all the help. 

Alex 

The air pump is not a particularly difficult job, you can pick used ones up for £100.  I've had mine for about a year now and the pump has always made a slight rumble when it kicks in, but its never got any worse.  And you're right, the pump does come on when on a camber etc, it also comes on when you slow down at lights etc after traveling at speed as it automatically lowers at speed to make it more aerodynamic. Also as you say it adjusts depending on the weight it carries.

11 hours ago, The-Acre said:

The air pump is not a particularly difficult job, you can pick used ones up for £100.  I've had mine for about a year now and the pump has always made a slight rumble when it kicks in, but its never got any worse.  And you're right, the pump does come on when on a camber etc, it also comes on when you slow down at lights etc after traveling at speed as it automatically lowers at speed to make it more aerodynamic. Also as you say it adjusts depending on the weight it carries.

Thank goodness for that Phil:biggrin: Provided I don't put on any more weight, perhaps that pump will last for a little while longer, ha ha!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links