Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying an is300h

Hi all am interested in buying an is300h, I currently own an is250 auto, am now however doing more mileage about 50 motorway miles each day, am currently only getting 33mpg, roughly what should an is300h get mpg at around 70 ish mph, what speed does the electric motor go up to and how many miles does it take to run out? Also how much is the road tax? 

Thanks

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Road tax is £10.

The electric motor assists the petrol engine and is only used at speeds below about 40 mph. On a full charge you can get about a mile on Battery alone at 30 mph.

Not sure about the mpg at motorway speeds. It drops off rapidly at high speed at the electric motor is not used and you just have to move a heavy Battery in the boot. Also mpg depends on driving style and weather.

Having said that I was getting 60 mpg on a roads in the summer. Struggle to get 40 round town in winter.

Keep to 70 mph or below and you may get 50 mpg.

Ignore the reviews in the car mags and have a test drive. It's a nice place to be if you are traveling a long distance so don't just base a decision on cost alone.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Do you no whether there has been any cases with electric motor or Battery issues, I didn't want the car to get out of warranty then start having issues, (I believe that is warranted for 5 years) is this correct? Is there a better spec to look for? Am looking at an f sport, als is the gearbox as bad as what the car mags say, I believe it is better getting information from people who experience the car everyday ? 

After 5 years, Lexus will warranty the Hybrid system for another 12 months if you service the vehicle at a dealer.

Or you can service the car elsewhere and pay £70 for a Hybrid check and 12 month warranty.

Hybrid systems can be warrantied for up to 10 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevevialls said:

Do you no whether there has been any cases with electric motor or battery issues, I didn't want the car to get out of warranty then start having issues, (I believe that is warranted for 5 years) is this correct? Is there a better spec to look for? Am looking at an f sport, als is the gearbox as bad as what the car mags say, I believe it is better getting information from people who experience the car everyday ? 

As I've said in another thread,  I know of many Taxi company's using Lexus, Toyota and Nissan Hybrid/EV's, all with more than 100k miles and none have had battery/hybrid issues.  I think on this forum, there has only been a couple of issues reported for people with hybrid issues on GS.  Compare it to the number of issues reported by other manufacturers with Turbo, DPF, injection system, electrical faults etc, the cars are reliable.

Only you can say if the F-Sport or gearbox is not for you, with an extended test drive.  You should be easily able to get one from a dealer, up to 24hrs.  I don't think it is bad at all, no worse than a dithering VAG DSG.  The "rubber band" style of engine rev's I don't mind at all. The drone most mags mention is due to leaving the Active Sound Control switched on. Turn it off and the car is silent.

The F-Sport version has slightly worse economy and increased road noise due to the wide and staggered tyres, also ride is marginally worse, due to thin sidewalls and sporty suspension. Again a full test drive will sort it out in your mind.

Would be interesting to do the maths - I have the IS250 and get 34-40mpg in the winter. I do mainly motorway miles, didn't think the hybrid would make much difference to my MPG - also seemed to be around £4K more to buy.

if you do mainly motorway miles I can't see much point in the hybrid, saves money on road tax I guess.

I see the hybrid as a company car option but for personal use you'd need to do a good blend of motorway/town driving.

200T would be a good option - not sure on MPG though.

Have also thought about an is200t didn't no about the mpg though as autotrader says about 40 mpg didn't no if this was correct but that is more expensive than the is300h, plus there are many used 200t out there yet 

300h models outsell 200t (and before that 250's) by about 10:1. so your used options on these will be very limited, given there were only circa 10k IS models registered in the UK last year.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links