Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hey guys, I've found out the is250 will take the is300 torsen lsd but I'm just wondering what other lsds including the casings are direct fit, I've heard rumour that the gt86/brz diff fits , any others fit? 😛 my is goes sideways but it can be unpredictable at times with the open diff

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

I cannot answer regarding which LSD would physically fit, but I see other problem - you cannot turn off stability control, which in turn is not set to work with LSD and can give you any kind of unpredictable results... 

Yea you can 😛, while parked hold the tcs button for about 10seconds, turns off tc and vsc until the ignition is switched or the tc button is pressed again

Sounds like the Mercedes version, one can switch it off but it will still try and save you from yourself. 

Some MBs have a 'Dyno' mode, allowing the car to be tested on a rolling road, does Lexus have something similar?

I believe if you use the button to disable the TRC, it will come back on once you reach a certain speed.

Not tried myself, but apparently doing this will disable TRC/VSC properly...

According to info on Clublexus, the GT86/BRZ or IS300 diff can indeed be installed in the IS250. The IS300 has the same final drive ratio (3.91:1) so maybe that is the better option.

If you only press the tcs button it will come back on at 55kmh. And if the car goes sideways the vsc will keep you in check. If you switch off both the tcs and vsc in the way I explained above it switches them both off completely, it doesn't even attempt to help you 😅 the playing with the pedals trick is only for automatic models from what I can gather .

If you only press the tcs button it will come back on at 55kmh. And if the car goes sideways the vsc will keep you in check. If you switch off both the tcs and vsc in the way I explained above it switches them both off completely, it doesn't even attempt to help you 😅 the playing with the pedals trick is only for automatic models from what I can gather .

It is actually mentioned in the owners manual too, I myself figured it out by trying the same way that Mazda have their setup done on the rx8, with tc on, car is very controlled , with tc off the car will go slidey but keeps you in check and auto comes back on when you reach 55kmh, with tc and vsc off the car is completely free to spin up, slip and slide and everything stays off until you switch the ignition or press the tc button. Vsc can only be turned off when the car is parked up. I want an lsd as the weight shift on the back wheels from changing directions makes the car unpredictable 😅

I'm puzzled about what you are trying to achieve. I was really asking what brand and type of tyre you have.

Why would you want to make it 'less grippy'? IS250s are hardly the first choice of drift merchants!

I very much doubt that an lsd would improve predictability - quite the opposite in fact. I would think you would do better (ie with fewer unintended consequences) with anti-roll bar work

12 hours ago, Jdm95 said:

the playing with the pedals trick is only for automatic models from what I can gather .

Ohhh I see, now it makes more sense, because I was thinking about Automatic and same as @johnatg was wondering what are you trying to achieve. Obviously, Lexus IS250 (even manual one) is by far not the best car for drifting, not because it can't drift, but because there are much cheaper and better autos for this purpose - take for example Nissan 350Z, cheap, predictable, many mods available, many spare performance parts etc. I am pretty certain IS250 + LSD will set you back more than 350Z, and even to insure it if you disclose you have mods would be more expensive than stock 350Z.

Anyway, that is not to discourage you, but this topic is kind of unusual one.

I have Dunlop's on the back and Firestone's on the front, only budget road tyres nothing special. In Ireland a 350z will set you back minimum 7000, the is cost me 4000 plus allowing a grand for an lsd, it works out fairly cheap, and that's before including taxing the car ( 1080 for the is for a year, 1900 for the 350Z) considering my options for cheap cars to abuse are is200, some form of BMW or Mercedes, or a Ford Sierra, none of these have much in the lines of comfort or style like the is250 but still be reliable. I've tried out the Mazda rx8 for drifting and a few other cars, only cars that were predictable when sideways had lsd's that's comparing even a is200 with and without lsd, one was messy and kind of dodgy , the other was nice and controllable and calm. Ireland is the worst country for insurance full stop. I doubt any car in this country has modifications declared as something as small as going up 1inch in wheel size or lowering your car will make a car insurable and it will be blacklisted. Upgrades of factory available parts aren't counted as mods though and I've gotten rear brake conversions past nct(mot) inspections even when they weren't factory available options but I still couldn't mention that to my insurance company because it's a modification and they wouldn't insure it. Sorry I got off topic. No it's not the best drift option and never will be but it is j an oddball car to be modified over here and I would like to feel in control when it goes sideways plus from my own experience a good differential can transform a good car into a great car 😅 I'm not discouraged at all, I joined this forum to find information from people that know these cars

Before I go for arb upgrades I want to get a decent set of adjustable damping coilovers and possibly a front and rear strut brace I've had good results from that combo on cars before

I have Dunlop's on the back and Firestone's on the front, only budget road tyres nothing special. In Ireland a 350z will set you back minimum 7000, the is cost me 4000 plus allowing a grand for an lsd, it works out fairly cheap, and that's before including taxing the car ( 1080 for the is for a year, 1900 for the 350Z) considering my options for cheap cars to abuse are is200, some form of BMW or Mercedes, or a Ford Sierra, none of these have much in the lines of comfort or style like the is250 but still be reliable. I've tried out the Mazda rx8 for drifting and a few other cars, only cars that were predictable when sideways had lsd's that's comparing even a is200 with and without lsd, one was messy and kind of dodgy , the other was nice and controllable and calm. Ireland is the worst country for insurance full stop. I doubt any car in this country has modifications declared as something as small as going up 1inch in wheel size or lowering your car will make a car uninsurable and it will be blacklisted. Upgrades of factory available parts aren't counted as mods though and I've gotten rear brake conversions past nct(mot) inspections even when they weren't factory available options but I still couldn't mention that to my insurance company because it's a modification and they wouldn't insure it. Sorry I got off topic. No it's not the best drift option and never will be but it is j an oddball car to be modified over here and I would like to feel in control when it goes sideways plus from my own experience a good differential can transform a good car into a great car 😅 I'm not discouraged at all, I joined this forum to find information from people that know these cars

As I said you probably have your reasons to try to use IS250 as driftcar and that is fine with me... though I disagree about insurance. I am sure UK is by far the worst country for insurance - in UK the questions you are being asked makes very little sense, the price could go wildly pear shaped for each question and you will never know why you are paying more, the questions are counter intuitive and insurers overengineering the process. You could be paying more for keeping car in garage (which meant to be most secure) vs. simply parking on the street... You pay more for third party, than you pay for fully comprehensive insurance (so pay more for less)... it as well depends on your occupation, family status, residential status, gender etc... ( all arguably irrelevant data). Your premium even increases if you make non-fault claims or information only notifications. It can be double the price compared to your next door neighbor, because on you specific postcode somebody have previously reported accident (even if you have nothing to do with it) and so on... And insurance is generally very expensive. When I started looking for IS250 it costed £4000 to insure it for myself (as I was 23 - same year to insure Supra would have been £36000), then it was £3000 next year and finally I bough it 2 years later and got best quote for £1178 + 3 month tracking device. To add some perspective I was driving since 16, and used to have IS250 from new in other country when 22 and paid only £75 for insurance. Most I have paid for insurance before coming to UK was ~ £240 for 1988 BMW525, with M60B40 engine conversion from 540i ... and fully modified... and I was 17 at the time.... 

Benjamin Disraeli: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." 

To be clear - I have nothing against "statistical risk analysis" as long as relevant statistical data is used and interpreted correctly (quite clearly I am suggesting it is not the case in with Insurance in UK).

Here's a quote from my insurance company " we cannot insure you on a 2.5 litre petrol car, until you are thirty, no not even for 2hours for you to drive it home, but yes if it is not registered to you then we will cover you to the same extent as your main policy if the registered owner gives you permission to drive it, the car does not need to have any insurance policy on it. " so I bought the lexus registered it in my father's name and can legally drive around covered by the insurance policy of one of my old cars, I just leave the old car sitting in my yard I got my solicitor to have a look at the companies contract with me and it is all legit. That being said I have been quoted 6000euro tpft to insure a 1.3litre car for a year because it was over 12Years old but I just got a quote last week of 1200 fully comp on the lexus with a European insurance company that have managed to trade in Ireland ,

41 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

To be clear - I have nothing against "statistical risk analysis" as long as relevant statistical data is used and interpreted correctly (quite clearly I am suggesting it is not the case in with Insurance in UK).

Exactly, additionally statistics can be 100% correct still meaningless - that is what it mostly is as far as UK insurance is considered. They can as well ask what is the length of men d*** and size of women b**** and make statistics on that, which arguably be statistically correct, but yet meaningless and just useful for increasing insurance prices and making process more complicated. Same goes for all 100 questions we answer in insurance quote. Having kids, owning house, being journalists, having criminal convictions etc. does not make you better or worse driver and insurers should not be allowed to ask such details.

One other important fact is that in Continental EU (at leas most countries I know), they only ask for 2 things: car registration and driver ID number (something you don't have in UK, but it would be equivalent to NIN or License number)... and that is it. And insurance on average is like £70-£150 unless you have something really extraordinary. Most importantly when in UK insurers barely makes 1% profit (some actually makes loss) in Continental EU it is closer to 8-10% of profit. That is proof in plain sigh that UK "statistical risk profiling" or "indiscriminate discrimination" does not work in practice. 

So yes.... back to the topic:

On 3/7/2017 at 2:56 PM, J Henderson said:

According to info on Clublexus, the GT86/BRZ or IS300 diff can indeed be installed in the IS250. The IS300 has the same final drive ratio (3.91:1) so maybe that is the better option.

Awaiting video of you drifting.. just do it responsibly (just joking)

2 minutes ago, Jdm95 said:

so I bought the lexus registered it in my father's name and can legally drive around

Well you see... that is illegal in UK. It is called "fronting" and is criminal offence/insurance fraud(correct me if I am wrong). In UK you have to insure the Driver - no if, no but. In most of EU even US - car has insurance = anyone can drive it.

Yea I know a few people in UK were shocked that my policy allowed me drive like that. What is the tax for a year in the UK for an is250 ?

That's half what I have to pay but there is no difference between auto or manual it's 1080 for both 😅

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links