Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Having just bought a ’92 Soarer TT (http://www.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/album06?page=16), it’s time to say goodbye to my old LS400. I hadn’t realised that I can’t use my NCB on both cars (doh!) and I’m being quoted premiums that are making my teeth itch.

However, I’ve no idea how much to ask for. Anyone that knows me won’t be surprised to hear that I have spent £8,500 maintaining her over the last two and a half years. This has proved to be a wrong move as I could have bought a newer model in the first place, but some lucky sod is now going to get the benefit of all that expenditure.

I have receipts to show that virtually everything that needs it has been replaced inc timing belt, knock sensors, all springs and shocks, front bushes, bonnet struts etc etc etc. Anyway, any idea how much I should ask for a ’90 LS400 with 180,000 miles? I know that I can't expect to recoup what I've spent, but I think that I should expect to get more than the average Autotrader specimen.

you poor sod indeed!

Just to say I have zero NCB and the club insurance scheme was the cheapest by far. Mainstream policies were 3.5k to 5k. Club insurance on a 6000 mile a year policy was 2k. Big difference!

I think that 3.5-4k for a selling price is high. Parkers reckons on average mileage of 10k a year, which already puts yours at 40k over the average mileage for a 1990. Sure you have spent loads more than others on it, but it's still a 14 year old car. Best to try and sell it via this website, since you might have a greater chance of finding enthusiasts who appreciate the money you have spent on it. I think the average person wouldn't pay much extra, but that's just my two pence...

Good luck!

I believe that classic policies tend to limit mileage, no? I do about 12k per year. Forgive my ignorance – what is DIG?

2k? Blimey, I fell off my chair when I was quoted £1,600.

How would I go about advertising the car on this site?

Simon, would you do 12,000 miles in both cars?

DIG insurance is the scheme open to GOLD members of this club. Also to advertise your car for sale here you need to become a GOLD member. Click on the 'gold membership' link at the top of the page for futher information.

Simon, I had a mint, I mean Mint LS400 On a J, It only had 120k and also had a full Lexus History,

It had a brand new MOT and had been very well maintained,

However even with Autotrader advertising, various internet sites etc, very good coverage I only managed to get £3000 for it.

My friend only got £2900 for his 94 80,000mile 1 owner GS300,

The used car market is at rock bottom, it's just not worth much at all.

Bison

the problem with the lexus, is that although "they go on for ever", if you buy a 100K+ mileage one, then give it a proper service, change all the fluids, replace the 'dodgy' bits like cam belt, waterpump, fan belt, brake pads, plugs, HT leads, dist caps and rotor arms, filters, etc. etc, that'll cost you about 2 grand! (well, it did me) if you were to do the same with an omega it would cost about half that. so, unless the seller is an extremely reliable and known person, the risk could be expensive. i think that any LS400 over 8 years old is worth what the buyer wants to pay. one with all the service mechanics replaced, and everything working, is probably worth 6K, if it's below about 175k miles.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links