Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450H - Steering Wheel / Column knocking..

Good evening,

I have recently purchased a 2010 Lexus RX450H from a car dealer.

I noticed after a short amount of time that there is a knocking sound/feel behind the steering wheel at speeds below 20MPH over rough surfaces.

After some research it appears that this is a common issue with RX models between 2010-2012, regardless of region as they appear to all have more or less the same steering column fitted. There is even a TSB describing this issue and it instructs dealerships to replace the steering column with a revised unit should any RX under Lexus warranty exhibits the issues described in the TSB.

It appears the car I purchased hadn't had this fix.

I brought it to the attention of the dealer who has sold me the car as the purchase came with a 3 month warranty. They have had the car for two weeks now and after a short phone call it appears to me that they are somewhat unwilling to fix this issue as they cannot pinpoint the exact cause, I have forwarded them all the information I have found regarding this TSB and Toyota/Lexus instructions to change the steering column for the updated unit so I am just awaiting a response.

I suppose my question is, what should I do?

If the dealer chooses not to fix the issue, are they ignoring the warranty and just simply screwing me over?

Is this an issue they should be responsible for fixing, or am I expecting too much?

What are your thoughts?

If you go to https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ and put in your reg number it will show you the MOT history and also if there are any outstanding recalls. If this issue shows up I'd print it out or take a screen shot to show the dealer.

If the above doesn't produce any results then you should perhaps contact the Citizens Advice Bureau or Trading Standards for help.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi, I bought a 2011 RX450h from the Lexus main dealer and mine has this issue. I am planning to go back to them under warranty but have only just read all of this. Now its kind of annoying me.

There is a good Youtube video of DIY fix for this. It shows its for a RX350 but believe its the same for the 450h. The person bought a steering column from a 2015 model and swapped out the part causing the issue: https://youtu.be/jyZ1bwjnyI4

I also found a TSB for the RX350 but for some reason I didnt find one for the RX450h but surely they must use the same steering column and this issue seems affect both. Here it is: https://www.tsbsearch.com/Lexus/L-SB-0026-11

Did you manage to get yours solved?

On 9/4/2021 at 12:56 PM, alexcruncha said:

Hi, I bought a 2011 RX450h from the Lexus main dealer and mine has this issue. I am planning to go back to them under warranty but have only just read all of this. Now its kind of annoying me.

There is a good Youtube video of DIY fix for this. It shows its for a RX350 but believe its the same for the 450h. The person bought a steering column from a 2015 model and swapped out the part causing the issue: https://youtu.be/jyZ1bwjnyI4

I also found a TSB for the RX350 but for some reason I didnt find one for the RX450h but surely they must use the same steering column and this issue seems affect both. Here it is: https://www.tsbsearch.com/Lexus/L-SB-0026-11

Did you manage to get yours solved?

Just to let you know Alex I have had the same problem recently occur, this has been investigated and will be resolved by fitting new steering column 😱. Fortunately it comes within my extended warranty otherwise its 2850😨.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 12:17 PM, Phil xxkr said:

Just to let you know Alex I have had the same problem recently occur, this has been investigated and will be resolved by fitting new steering column 😱. Fortunately it comes within my extended warranty otherwise its 2850😨.

Update, new part fitted and makes a tremendous difference, no rattles, brilliant. Lexus Derby gave me a first class service. As it's subject to an earlier TSB I would definitely pursue a no cost to you option should it happen to you 👍

• Like 1

I would have thought that if Lexus had put out a TSB on it they should do foc even belatedly.

I was advised by BMW that I should have them change a component in my 2001 5 series steering wheel.  I told them the car was off the road for an extended time pending a few repairs but that I would be happy to remove the entire steering wheel so they could do the necessary which concerned the air bag.  They declined to do this but said that when I do eventually get the car to them my local BMW dealership, they will replace affected part foc.

11 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

I would have thought that if Lexus had put out a TSB on it they should do foc even belatedly.

I was advised by BMW that I should have them change a component in my 2001 5 series steering wheel.  I told them the car was off the road for an extended time pending a few repairs but that I would be happy to remove the entire steering wheel so they could do the necessary which concerned the air bag.  They declined to do this but said that when I do eventually get the car to them my local BMW dealership, they will replace affected part foc.

There was a TSB which covered the owner up to 4 years or 50k. So if the issue surfaced after that tough. I guess if the issue is not a safety critical one but one of inconvenience then why should the manufacturer be on the warranty hook for ever? 

6 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

There was a TSB which covered the owner up to 4 years or 50k. So if the issue surfaced after that tough. I guess if the issue is not a safety critical one but one of inconvenience then why should the manufacturer be on the warranty hook for ever? 

Agree nothing is forever, otherwise manufacturers would have to keep parts for cars going right back to their original offerings.  However, it seems reasonable to me that for as long as manufacturers carry spares for a particular car, they should undertake free replacement if it came to light that an owner subsequently discovered that a part that should have been replaced had not been.  There are a number of reasons why a previous owner may not have taken the car in for a recall.  How many drivers when purchasing a used car check that all recall work had been done?  I don't believe even many used car dealers check on this before selling on cars.  Maybe this should be a requirement?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Agree nothing is forever, otherwise manufacturers would have to keep parts for cars going right back to their original offerings.  However, it seems reasonable to me that for as long as manufacturers carry spares for a particular car, they should undertake free replacement if it came to light that an owner subsequently discovered that a part that should have been replaced had not been.  There are a number of reasons why a previous owner may not have taken the car in for a recall.  How many drivers when purchasing a used car check that all recall work had been done?  I don't believe even many used car dealers check on this before selling on cars.  Maybe this should be a requirement?

You make an interesting and thought provoking comment Barry. Maybe in these times of "sustainability" whatever that may entail, it's worthy of further consideration? 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 6:06 PM, Kuneha said:

Good evening,

I have recently purchased a 2010 Lexus RX450H from a car dealer.

I noticed after a short amount of time that there is a knocking sound/feel behind the steering wheel at speeds below 20MPH over rough surfaces.

Tala, did you gets yours sorted?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links