Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS430 COILOVER PBM...TOO LOW

Hi guys,

First of all, i am French, so i'll try to explain as best as i can my problem.

I used to get my original air suspension broken, front was blocked at highest level.

Then, i decided to change complete system for coilovers, but not cheap ones.

I finally bought TEIN street flex ones, for UFC30, ref : G5Y67-11931 ... G5Y66-11931 etc..

i already fitted same brand, same model, in the past on my GS300 sport, without any pbm, everything was perfect.

Unfortunately, this time, once finished, car was definitely too low... impossible to drive like this. Of course, i am at the highest level as well, but car is like no suspension anymore.

When i am turning, i am destroying my front arches, i am so desapointed, cause i do not find how tol solve this. Rear also very low, but no pbm.

Can you also confirm if the shortest shocks are at front or rear?

thanks for any help..

Greg

(last picture of complete car is from another guy which seems to drive like this....)

img_9013.jpg

img_9011.jpg

img_9012.jpg

Looks like the front shocks are the longer ones approx eight coils to the springs . short shocks to the rear, they carry less weight and do not suffer as much dynamic loading so the spring is not as much preloaded as the front.

Have you checked as to weather any other parts such as bushings or spacers are also required to fit these replacements

Thanks for your reply.

To be honest, i fitted the short ones to the rear, cause  the little confortable springs are supposed to be at front most of time, and they were on longest shocks...

So you confirm i should fit the shortest ones on the front? but it will even low down much more the car?

Those coil overs look like they have adjustable spring pre-load (upper adjusters) and a center threaded section that screws into the lower portion of the strut to adjust the ride height. 

I suspect the lower lock nut needs releasing and the threaded body unwound to lift the car up, then nip up the lower lock nut.  

Do this on all 4 coil overs and repeat until the car sits at the desired level.

Re-reading your post, you are already at the highest level - so the threaded body is wound up as much as possible then right?

Here's a quick guide (which you probably already know) 

• Like 1

thanks Farqui : i'll check it again.  As said before, i am also wondering if the shortest shocks need to be at front or not... i am trying to find reply on this.

yes, i am already at the highest level, like if i didn't want to low the car at all. We did same on my GS before, and  adjustment was perfect... 😞

Short shocks to the rear. but as Gregory says they are adjustable so the same principles apply the shocks are not identical units it is how they are adjusted that determines the ride height.

OK Thanks, that's what i did.

However, when you check my coilovers' picture, you can see that there is a F front on shortest ones, and R rear on longest...

img_9014.jpg

that's why i do not understand... 😞

15 minutes ago, Gregos said:

thanks Farqui : i'll check it again.  As said before, i am also wondering if the shortest shocks need to be at front or not... i am trying to find reply on this.

yes, i am already at the highest level, like if i didn't want to low the car at all. We did same on my GS before, and  adjustment was perfect... 😞

I'd also say that the short dampers would be fitted at the rear of the vehicle.

Point 2 here, shows the ride height adjustment; https://www.tein.co.jp/e/products/street_flex.html

If the dampers are already set at max height, then are the dampers/springs the correct model for your vehicle? 

On the Tein website I don't see any LS models listed in their drop down...

yes right, but why TEIN put F front on shortest, and and R rear on longest 😞

there is also this advert on eBay , that's exactly same model as mine, that's the longest ones, sold as REAR ^^

i am becoming crazy ^^

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-ls-430-Toyota-Celsior-2000-2006-UCF30-rear-tein-used-coilover-street-flex/264191540901?epid=9028937762&hash=item3d830afea5:g:abkAAOSwNudcYXVa

2 minutes ago, Gregos said:

yes right, but why TEIN put F front on shortest, and and R rear on longest 😞

there is also this advert on ebay , that's exactly same model as mine, that's the longest ones, sold as REAR ^^

i am becoming crazy ^^

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-ls-430-Toyota-Celsior-2000-2006-UCF30-rear-tein-used-coilover-street-flex/264191540901?epid=9028937762&hash=item3d830afea5:g:abkAAOSwNudcYXVa

OK Gregory you are as we are a bit confused and to be honest it is not really a big problem to sort out .

If you have put the shocks on the car as per the designation on the stickers it is likely that all that is required is correct adjustment .

Follow the adjustment procedure posted by Lee and forget anything that as been said up to this point.

Let us know the results when you have carried out the instructions.

i am yes!!!  to be honest, i followed my opinion.. i fitted the longest at front, and shortest at rear....  cause i heard that confortable springs were always at front.

I asked another guy, he confirmed to me, i need to fit the shortest at front ^^ 

i am simply affraid, that in that case, my front will become even lowered than today, which is already impossible to drive..

anyway, thanks guys for your help

Hi,

somes news :

next monday, i'll try to place the little shocks at front then... quite affraid about final result but we'll see...

i am also trying to find someone here, who already fitted some coilovers..

i was finally wondering if i could still go back to original shocks, but seems complicated? i cannot swtich the air system?

From what I have seen all the Tein systems seem to lower the car by 2" (5cm) so it looks to me like you bought the wrong system if you want to keep the ride height normal.
However, you should have enough adjustment to be able to raise the car back to standard ride height according to their documentation.

All the writeups I see about the Tein systems on LS430s scream "Do not use". Did you research it fully before buying?

yes, that's it, it should only lower the car by 5cms... i didn't want such a lower result.

I found some saying "do not use" but haven't seen WHY ^^ or just because too confortable..     and many ones in the USA using TEIN and happy with it.

i bought them as used ones, so it was already fitted on previous LS in japan.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TEIN-Hong-Kong-Service-Ltd-215932125085960/photos/?tab=album&album_id=708800642465770

thanks for the link, but it might cost a lot right;

i finally found on facebook the correct fitment (from my last link) we found our mistake by fiting the rear instead of front... let's see on next monday

It's about £800 for the four from Strutmaster which I think is good, the problem comes from shipping and tax but as I said, you get the correct ones. I hope you get it sorted OK.

• 1 year later...

Hey don’t know if you or anyone else is still having this issue,I just installed the flex z on my LS430 and the long ones with the helper springs go to the back and short ones go on the front just because they look short does not mean it will slam your car in the front,these are perfect and ride amazing.

• 2 years later...
47 minutes ago, halpulaar said:

But Call me crazy - Bought this coilover version - what do you think ?

Personally I wouldn't purchase unknown brand coilovers without reviews - Tein and other quality vendors put R&D into their products to make sure they perform and are suitable for the car they are being installed on.

The ones you have purchased might to good though - let us know how you find the ride and handling once you have them installed.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coilover installed. Not the same experience as air suspension. Hard to my taste but drives perfectly.

Put up for sale to someone who will look after it. Will keep otherwise.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links