Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking for an IS250 Auto - what to watch out for

Hi all, I am looking for an IS250, my budget is up to £3.5k-ish ideally and other than Mark Levinson I am not fussed about other options. These seem to be very reliable cars, is there anything I should watch out for? I was considering a GS450h as they dont seem much more in price but seem much more complex and expensive to maintain. Thank you

If you looking to negotiate the price then look for wear and tear items like tyres, brakes pads, disks, service history in general. In terms of "big ticket items" IS250 AT is bullet proof. Even if something goes wrong is mostly common sense things like water pump, which needs replacing based on 80k miles service intervals. Spark Plugs needs changing every 60k. So if the car reached the threshold and they have not been done it means you will have to do it after buying. At the price under £5k you looking at cars which will be around 10 years old now, so expect some rusk on exhaust.

Now when it comes to Mark Levinson system... I think it is over-hyped and really depends on what type of musing you listening. If you listening some sort of classic music or very vocal/instrumental music directly from original high quality CD/DVD it is second to none in terms of clarity at any volume settings. However, it is rather mediocre for bassy or POP music ... if anything I think standard system is much more bassy and ~versatile - it sounds above average for any music style and does not suck regardless what source you use and what type of music you listen. In other hand ML will highlight poor source - for example I am listening to club music and mixes simply does not exist in anything else, but questionable quality mp3, that would be problem for ML, but standard system just glosses over it. Same for radio ML will surfer more from poor signal stations than  standard (why would even car about Hi-Fi for radio).

Now some stats - standard system is 13 speakers 685W (PMPO) and ML is 14 speakers and 1300W  (or 1350w?- PMPO), however each are powered by ~300-350W (RMS) amps - take this with pinch of salt as information is taken from forums - not sure Lexus ever officially claimed these figures.. Obviously, ML amp has higher quality components thus more clarity overall. However, ML amps are known to fail and speakers are known to just stop working as well - something you should consider looking for ~10 old car. Standard system is more reliable and I have not heard it going bad.

Don't get me wrong, if I could choose between the car with and without ML, I would go with ML... but it would not be my red tape. I had both IS250 with and without ML and the difference is minimal.

Wow thank you for the helpful post, lots of food for thought. I also saw a later car for sale yesterday that had Nav but no ML, was it deleted as an option around 2009?

I'm very fussy about sources and only listen to CD or uncompressed wav files. I guess to play Wav I will need to get some kind of ipod input on a 2005/6 car?

Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Have you read this? Everything (almost ) you would want to know about the 250's before buying one.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/lexus/is-2005/

note: the introduction reviews the Manual box which I and others do not reccomend over the auto. VED for starters!

paul m.

With regards to the audio setup in the IS (and Lexus' in general I think), Pioneer make the head units & amps, Mark Levinson, I believe, provide the speakers.  After years of owning after-market Alpine head units I was somewhat disappointed with the ML setup.  The speakers are great and the stereo is decent for most things (but as Linas says it deffo handles some music better than others) but as for messing with EQ audio options it's pretty much bass/mid/treble & fade/balance.  When I assumed that ML were some Yank brand that was highly regarded I expected more customisation from the stereo but once I worked out that they only do the speakers I cut them some slack.

The amp is ML branded - that does not mean it is made by ML, but amps are certainly different. ML was dropped from late 2011 car and 2012. Regarding WAV I am not sure, Standard unit plays MP3 and WMA and ML adds DVD Audio (which is never really stuck). ML system considered to be calibrated from factory, hence the excuse not to have much settings. I almost prefer it this way if it works - less fooling around.

This is 3rd ever IS250  (non-convertible) I have seen with ACC/PCS - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905157981029?make=LEXUS&aggregatedTrim=SE-L&transmission=Automatic&sort=price-asc&radius=1500&postcode=ba11rj&model=IS 250&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&page=1 So they do exist. 

That one does have later alloy wheels and has a boot spoiler fitted, it indeed does have ACC ( not emphasised in ad!) and if it had a ‘moonroof’ it would want for nothing, a proper unicorn car. 

A hell of a lot of car for the money and if service history is good then miles are acceptable.

It has 2005-2006 "Sport/SR" bodykit and period correct 18" wheels, which must have been refurbished, otherwise they should be peeling a lot. Basically - all possible options + more. Sadly, Silver is not my favourite colour... or more precisely literally worst colour bar baby poo brown.  

Having owned a 2007 IS250 SE-L with ML  and a 2011 IS250 SE-L with the Pioneer system at the same time, in my opinion, the ML system was much clearer with little distortion at all volumes. I also found that it delivered a good amount of base ( and more so than the Pioneer system) although you will probably be  a tad underwhelmed if you are coming from a custom system with a 10/12 “ sub!.  Just for reference, I listen to Dancehall, Soca, RnB and Hip Hop music via MP3 or CD and I agree that how the system performs does depend on the type of music you listen too. I never listened to the radio so I can’t comment on the quality of sound from that source. Interestingly for some odd reason, I found that music steamed via Bluetooth audio on my 2011 car had more bass than when played via  the same device plugged in to the USB port 🤷🏾‍♂️

I was disappointed that Lexus pulled the ML system from the IS250/200 for the MY 2011 cars and this did initially stop me from purchasing our 2011 model. However the Pioneer system is still very good and you would be non the wiser if you didn’t listen to the systems back to back. 

The car in the above advert has the  pre face lift/original 2IS Sport wheels. A lovely spec with the GFX/ SR  body kit. 

In relation to the link from linas.p and the comment about the vehicle being a unicorn vehicle if it had a moon roof, I can confirm it does have a moon roof as I have purchased it today, it's an amazing vehicle, all it needs is the headlight lens  to be sorted as they have gone cloudy and a piece of chrome looking plastic trim on the boot to be changed as it has faded, the dealer will sort the lights out,  I collect it on Thursday, I can't wait

Well done that man for finding yourself ( like me!) a unicorn car! I’m sure you’re gonna love it,

so the SH stacked up all ok with the mileage then? And I doubt you will find many Reciepts for repairs as these cars tend not to seek out workshops as much as other cars out there!

all the best with your new ride and the headlamp lens should be an easy fix.

paul m.

On 8/17/2019 at 9:18 PM, Grant moss said:

In relation to the link from linas.p and the comment about the vehicle being a unicorn vehicle if it had a moon roof, I can confirm it does have a moon roof as I have purchased it today, it's an amazing vehicle, all it needs is the headlight lens  to be sorted as they have gone cloudy and a piece of chrome looking plastic trim on the boot to be changed as it has faded, the dealer will sort the lights out,  I collect it on Thursday, I can't wait

Sunroof is rare option, but not unicorn - ACC is unicorn... and ACC + sunroof is as you can imagine more than unicorn... so far I have seen 2 cars like that. Probably not more than 10 exist in UK.

A quick update for you all, I collected vehicle on Friday and I love it, I keep finding toys I didn't realise it had, I've used black leather revono on the seats today and they have come up like new.

The only issue I have is the manual for the sat nav is missing, so I'm struggling to set it up along with the phone etc, I have posted on this site to see if anyone can assist.

I found the vehicle through this thread so thank you very much.

Grant

Nice to hear, looks like you struck lucky there

btw you need to change your profile info or do you have an RX300 as well?

You can download the manual for the navigation system here

https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/omnav-s/OM53515U/pdf/OM53515U.pdf

If you need a physical copy I would have thought they would come up on eBay from time to time

• Like 1

That document pack seems a bit pricey to me so bide your time if you want a hard copy and refer to the ‘e’ copy for now but if you play around with the sat nav you can’t really break anything!

Thanks bobmc and Texas, I will download a copy in the short term, I've worked out my maps is version 07, so will also upgrade the disc, although I don't think we have built many new road since then !