Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus VS Toyota 5W-30 Oil

Bondis

Hi all,

does anyone know the difference between Lexus and Toyota 5W-30 Oil? I only had 5L of the lexus oil, and required an additional 900ml. Since I could not get my hands on more Lexus oil ASAP, I added the 900 from the Toyota brand. 

Will this be fine? They are produced in different countries, and meet different requirements; the Toyota meets more if I remember correctly. 

Thanks beforehand

neither actually make oil, nor put it into packs

I would suggest they are compatible and maybe even from the same supplier, like Exxon, Shell whatever .....  and as Toyota is the parent I'd thought they would have a huge demand and just brand Lexus appropriately worldwide

I'd be amazed if any harm will come to you from using either

Malc

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 1:33 PM, Malc said:

neither actually make oil, nor put it into packs

I would suggest they are compatible and maybe even from the same supplier, like Exxon, Shell whatever .....  and as Toyota is the parent I'd thought they would have a huge demand and just brand Lexus appropriately worldwide

I'd be amazed if any harm will come to you from using either

Malc

In this case both have the same viscosity, but they meet different requirements. I still haven't driven it. Don't know if I should worry or not. 

This is the Toyota one.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qXPWM3WSopji2qzj6

This is the Lexus one.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oQwH65gg6f7hn1Jt5

They are at least bottled in different countries. Both have the same telephone number. Tried calling, but could not get through. 

IMG_20191213_164546.jpg

IMG_20191213_164524.jpg

Have nothing to worry about, they are generally similar oil and it's the same grade. I have used all sort of brands to top up on my cars, as long it's same/similar grade there are no problem. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 007M said:

Have nothing to worry about, they are generally similar oil and it's the same grade. I have used all sort of brands to top up on my cars, as long it's same/similar grade there are no problem. 

You mean even mixing them in the same oil change?

6 hours ago, Bondis said:

You mean even mixing them in the same oil change?

When you drain the old oil some of it still remains within the engine coating the bearings etc. so you are still mixing the old and new unless it is a total dry engine rebuild.

• Like 1

The other thing to remember in all this is that the Lexus engine is not a Lexus engine it's a Toyota engine. This means the lable on the bottle of oil makes not the slightest difference as long as the oil specification is as specified or better than the oil listed in the handbook.
The only engine oils that I know of that cannot be mixed are the vegetable based oils that cannot be mixed with mineral oils. Synthetic, semy synthetic, and mineral oils can all be mixed without problems.

The vegetable based oils are usually designated racing oils "such as Castrol R possibly the the best known", and give off a very sweet smell from the exhaust. I do not know if this oil is still used in motorbike speedway bikes now, but members old enough to remember the 60's,70's, and 80's race meetings will remember that unmistakable odor.

John. 

• Like 1