Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS430 creaky doors, a common problem.

I'm on my third LS430 and all three have had the creaky doors.  If you open the windows just 1mm it stops.  Anyone else have this?  Doing a search there's a fair amount of comments on this from the US.  I've tried everything but no joy. 

2 hours ago, ambermarine said:

The cause may be creaky seals and a quick solution is silicone spray onto a rag and wipe down the seals and abutting metal .

I've tried that, apparently lots of others have too but to no avail. I've tried rubber conditioner and other things.

27 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

The guide slots on the glass get dried out and they too can cause creaking,again silicone spray with the tube attachment down the slots.

I have tried all that.  I've even cleaned the whole area thoroughly and lubricated it but still a creak with the window fully closed.  As I said, with the window just 1mm down, not enough for wind noise, it goes so it must be the pressure of fully closed glass causing it.  Sunny today so I'll just have to keep experimenting until I suss it out!

Another solution is to adjust the door lock by raising it, this will tighten up the hinges when closed reducing any movement .On my mark 1 the door had dropped a couple of mil with wear after 20 years and 180k and that caused creaking although my mark 4 is now 22 years old there is no creaking and the mileage is a quarter of the mark 1.

1 hour ago, ambermarine said:

Another solution is to adjust the door lock by raising it, this will tighten up the hinges when closed reducing any movement .On my mark 1 the door had dropped a couple of mil with wear after 20 years and 180k and that caused creaking although my mark 4 is now 22 years old there is no creaking and the mileage is a quarter of the mark 1.

That's not a bad idea.  Assuming it doesn't rain over the weekend I'll try various things and try the lock adjustment if necessary.  I'm doing another drive to far west Cornwall in a few days so I want it noise free! 

I tried everything as above including that funny named stuff gummi pflege and it helped a little bit but to honest I have sort of got used to it now (probably helped by the fact my old Jag used to creak all the time) if you do suss it let us know 😁

13 minutes ago, BMCWP said:

I tried everything as above including that funny named stuff gummi pflege and it helped a little bit but to honest I have sort of got used to it now (probably helped by the fact my old Jag used to creak all the time) if you do suss it let us know 😁

Well I'm glad to know it's not just me!  I got carried away with washing and waxing today but I'll try a few things tomorrow.  I did try Autoglym rubber and vinyl conditioner but that doesn't do much.  According to a YouTube video Vaseline is the stuff so I may try that on one door first.  It seems mostly to be the fronts. It's not really a problem but I'd rather not listen to it. Strange how just that tiny lowering of the window silences it.

I thought mine became a little more noticeable after I had the windows tinted - as they took the door cards off to do it properly and he did mention that there would have to be a slight gap in the film on the top of each window as the lexus had very flush fitting glass and would actually rip off the film as it went into the frame - however that may have been a coincidence I don't recommend pulling the door cards off just in case (and mine is only in the rear passenger side) 

• Like 1

I found on my 2005 430 that I had a very slight whistling when driver's window was fully up. Dropping the window down just a fraction did fix it. Never did quite work out a proper fix for it though. Sounds like that's what you're describing?

Don't have the car any longer but now in the market for another one (or maybe an LS400). The addiction is strong....

2 minutes ago, ScousePaul said:

I found on my 2005 430 that I had a very slight whistling when driver's window was fully up. Dropping the window down just a fraction did fix it. Never did quite work out a proper fix for it though. Sounds like that's what you're describing?

Don't have the car any longer but now in the market for another one (or maybe an LS400). The addiction is strong....

No, it's not a whistling, just a creak like dry rubber.  Vaseline didn't work so I've tried something else but I won't be able to try it until tomorrow.  Give in to the addiction, you know you must!  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ScousePaul said:

Ah ok gotcha. 

I'm going to be giving into it any day now once my current vehicle (not a Lexus) sells 🙂 

Looking forward to your addiction fix!

Already started... What do you think? More than I've ever spent on an LS, but looks to be in amazing condition, and fairly local too. I only do 2-3K miles a year so maybe it'll hold its value should I ever sell on again 🙂 

Could get an LS460 for a lot less but after owning an LS400 and LS430 I just think they're when Lexus was at its peak (don't tell my wife, who's just got a fairly recent IS300h...)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-LS-400-V8/153851099878?hash=item23d23d7ae6:g:YcIAAOSwlsteJYoa

Would feel weird spending over 10K on something that old though...

47 minutes ago, ScousePaul said:

Already started... What do you think? More than I've ever spent on an LS, but looks to be in amazing condition, and fairly local too. I only do 2-3K miles a year so maybe it'll hold its value should I ever sell on again 🙂 

Could get an LS460 for a lot less but after owning an LS400 and LS430 I just think they're when Lexus was at its peak (don't tell my wife, who's just got a fairly recent IS300h...)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-LS-400-V8/153851099878?hash=item23d23d7ae6:g:YcIAAOSwlsteJYoa

Would feel weird spending over 10K on something that old though..

Lovely, but way more than I would spend on that!

but it's far from original and a no no for me whatever the price

those aren't original wheels nor lenses ( being clear )

for the purist who wants a fantastic original car ( and believe me these buff up well with a good deal of spit and polish ) there's probably an original one out there with the same low mileage and at half the price

BUT it's your choice and money to spend for sure :yes:

Malc

Nah I wouldn't spend that much either :). Good to have some expert eyes on it though - wouldn't have spotted the wheels. Probably going to settle on an LS430, but I doubt if I'll ever find as nice a one as my last 😞. Anyway, sorry I'm derailing the thread!

[edit]

oh yeah I see what you mean about the wheels now. A lot different to what I remember them being like on mine (though mine was a MK IV). Someone's blinged them up.

Well yesterday I had another go at this. After washing the car I generously coated the door rubbers and plastic trims, including the top plastic inside with Autoglym rubber and vinyl care.  Then later on I gave it all a second generous coat and I've driven down to the far west of Cornwall in silence.  So I guess I just needed much more and I need to do it regularly.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links