Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today i'm listening to...

Steve

Here's piece of classic hard rock.

I find the creative chords and subtle counterpoint develops into a moving piece of tremendous depth and complexity.

On 10/29/2023 at 3:34 PM, Boomer54 said:

Clearly you are the Steve Miller Band in disguise.

The Joker (Official Music Video) - YouTube Music

After a particularly frustrating day I need some soul

Ruby Andrews - Casanova (Your Playing Days Are Over) (Slayd5000) - YouTube Music

Big Maybelle - i can't Wait Any Longer

YouTube Music

Betty LaVette - Only Your Love Can Save Me - YouTube Music

Betty Wright - Mr. Lucky - YouTube Music

Betty Everett - Unlucky Girl

YouTube Music

Carla Thomas - the first Soul artist I ever saw live.

Funny story with this one. A friend and I were trying to attract the attention of two girls on the edge of the dance floor. We were stood right behind them. I was wearing a woollen reversible sleeveless V neck sweater on top of my Ben Sherman shirt as you do. Mid song fed up of us they decided to dance and walked off. Halfway across the dancefloor they suddenly stopped and swung around to confront me with 'are you following me?'. To which I honestly replied 'I'm attached to you' which got a are you taking the proverbial stare. So I points to the floor where there is this pile of wool and repeat ' I'm really attached to you'. My sweater had become caught in a brooch at the back of her dress and has she walked away to my chagrin my sweater started to unravel behind her. I can hear the unasked question and the answer is , nope she blew me out on the spot tearing the wool with her bare hands. Tough these Lancashire girls.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

I was wearing a woollen reversible sleeveless V neck sweater on top of my Ben Sherman shirt

Calling the Forum Moderator. Pleas censor the above as it is putting horrible images in my mind and I am starting to have a nervous fit.

Punch Cartoons about Fashion | PUNCH Magazine Cartoon Archive

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GMB said:

Calling the Forum Moderator. Pleas censor the above as it is putting horrible images in my mind and I am starting to have a nervous fit.

Punch Cartoons about Fashion | PUNCH Magazine Cartoon Archive

Then you not have appreciated what I left at the cloakroom check in. Black polyurethane double buttoned long coat. The only one I have ever seen.....probably for a very good reason , but I thought at the time the epitome of 'cool'. As opposed to what a tw..t.

reminds me of an old Yiddish joke, which as usual is a bit long in setting the scene, but the essence of it is about the bigheaded arab chappie who rides around town on his camel wearing his best outfit.  BTW the male camel is very well endowed. The crowds see him every day and he hears them complement his beautiful camel and he is so proud to be the owner, until one day a friend advises him that when they are saying look at the d*ck on that camel they actually mean him.

• Haha 1

On 10/29/2023 at 3:09 PM, GMB said:

Here's piece of classic hard rock.

I find the creative chords and subtle counterpoint develops into a moving piece of tremendous depth and complexity.

Yes ,ranks right there with.

22 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

y sweater had become caught in a brooch at the back of her dress and has she walked away to my chagrin my sweater started to unravel behind her. I can hear the unasked question and the answer is , nope she blew me 

You pulled then?

• Haha 1

Today I am not listening to the Beatles Now and Then. I did start ,but I switched off halfway through. Guess I must be in the heathen minority on this one. I really don't get the rave reviews. it's got no particularly memorable instrumental, or vocals to it. I would forget I had heard it 30 mins after listening. Indeed, whilst I am on the horse the Stones would have been better off retiring years ago. At my age I cannot be accused of being ageist when I say most artists do their best work earlier not later. I think both the Beatles and Stones arer rightly revered for the work they did back in their day, but in my opinion every artist might do well to think if they still have it, or is it time to call it a day and do somethingelse.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Today I am not listening to the Beatles Now and Then. I did start ,but I switched off halfway through. Guess I must be in the heathen minority on this one. I really don't get the rave reviews. it's got no particularly memorable instrumental, or vocals to it. I would forget I had heard it 30 mins after listening. Indeed, whilst I am on the horse the Stones would have been better off retiring years ago. At my age I cannot be accused of being ageist when I say most artists do their best work earlier not later. I think both the Beatles and Stones arer rightly revered for the work they did back in their day, but in my opinion every artist might do well to think if they still have it, or is it time to call it a day and do somethingelse.

Like retire and enjoy the hundreds of millions of pounds they have already.

Will another few millions improve the rest of their lives to any measurable degree?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moleman said:

Like retire and enjoy the hundreds of millions of pounds they have already.

Will another few millions improve the rest of their lives to any measurable degree?

In truth I doubt they do this for the money. More likely they wish to still feel relevant.

6 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Guess I must be in the heathen minority on this one.

I am willing to join the heathens, the track was somewhat anodyne, but then I have always found any band after the first 5 or 6 albums tends to go bland or repetitive.  I say  that about the Beatles, New Order, Radiohead, Genesis, Elton John, Van der Graaf Generator, James, London Grammar, Jordi Savall & Hesperion XX to name a few.

Was listening to the Moody Blues last night, their early stuff (IMHO) was brilliant and some of it way ahead of their time, but post Seventh Sojourn they fell into the age old trap of un-expanding horizons.

Probably the only band that did not fall into the trap is The Fall, but not all their albums tickled my hearing buds.

I agree. The new beatles song is just more boring old claptrap and John Lennon's voice is not very well done. The stones return to their cockney roots does not work either. If you want that then the brilliant Ian Dury fits the bill.

The only artist that I can think of that never got boring is Frank Zappa. If you can get past the vulgar lyrics his musical talent is astonishing.

Blooody Mues was always commercial and shmaltzy apart from their first few records. Peter Hamill from VDG has an interesting follow up career but it still sounds like VDG classic style.

Re-visited diesel and dust/midnight oil/ beds are burning. Very apt lyrics and music from a talented band.

• Like 1

....  in my Mk1 Ls400 it's simply Radio 2  ....... till I possibly decide to fix the aerial that's not seemingly linked to the replacement Alpine set-up that was put into this dear old car some years back 

I'm OK with Radio 2 .  oh, and for some reason Radio Sheppey  ( where I live ) ......  maybe the Alpine system has enough sense to pick up summat without further human input 😉

Malc

19 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

....  in my Mk1 Ls400 it's simply Radio 2  ....... till I possibly decide to fix the aerial that's not seemingly linked to the replacement Alpine set-up that was put into this dear old car some years back 

I'm OK with Radio 2 .  oh, and for some reason Radio Sheppey  ( where I live ) ......  maybe the Alpine system has enough sense to pick up summat without further human input 😉

Malc

I really don't know why (cough), but I thought you might be listening to....

YouTube Music

7 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

This guy has always been a bit marmite, but regardless he will be remembered as being at the very top as a song writer.

I like Bob Dylan too especially this one. Not too well known.   Nina Simone is great too. Very distinctive voice. I saw the musical "Hair" at the Shaftesbury theatre in London late 60's. Never forget it. I went for the music, the nude scenes were just for publicity. The actors joined the audience at the end in a big "sing-song".

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GMB said:

I like Bob Dylan too especially this one. Not too well known.   Nina Simone is great too. Very distinctive voice. I saw the musical "Hair" at the Shaftesbury theatre in London late 60's. Never forget it. I went for the music, the nude scenes were just for publicity. The actors joined the audience at the end in a big "sing-song".

Being a  bit of a soulie I didn't listen to much outside that genre back then. Got into Dylan as you do ,because this girl (there's always a girl) was into him ,Simon & Garfunkel, Tim Buckley etc etc. So popped out and bought one of his albums (still got it) so we could have a night in listening to music (cough). Sound investment !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links