Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Nearside Caliper and Two Rear Shock Absorbers

Lindylou

Hi, I am new to your club just purchased a lovely SC430 convertible.  MOT advisories were I required 2 rear shock absorbers as they are weeping a little and a nearside rear caliper unit.  Can anyone help me please?

Kind regards

Lindylou

55 minutes ago, Lindylou said:

Hi, I am new to your club just purchased a lovely SC430 convertible.  MOT advisories were I required 2 rear shock absorbers as they are weeping a little and a nearside rear caliper unit.  Can anyone help me please?

Kind regards

Lindylou

Hi Linda and welcome to L.O.C.

Did you buy from a Trader or privately?

Has the car passed its M.O.T. but you have been given 2 Advisories?

Does the car have any sort of service history?

What sort of help would you like us to give you?

We have a few SC430 Members and I`m sure that Neil,Or Bob, or Nic will be along in due course to offer advice.

• Like 1

Hi John

This is my first Lexus and I bought from a dealer.  I have just put the car through an MOT, although it passed it has a couple of advisories, it requires a nearside rear caliper and also two rear shock absorbers they are weeping a little.  I also need an exhaust system but I am looking at a stainless steel.  It has been well maintained and has a good bit of history.  Serviced every year up to 2018.  It had a new cambelt on 89,000 it is now on 118,000 so plenty left I assume!

I really did not realise how much parts were for a Lexus pretty scarey!  I cannot believe a caliper from one company is £570, my husband just bought one for his Astra for £34, what is the difference they are all made of the same material ?  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated with regard to where I can get any spare parts.

Thank you for responding 🙂

Kind Regards

Linda

On 9/12/2020 at 8:16 PM, Lindylou said:

Kind regards

Lindylou

Definitely get your brake calipers from somewhere else not lexus, but still get good quality ones not the cheapest possible. Your car is quite old with quite a few miles so the shocks weeping is not unexpected. Eurocarparts sell pagid brake calipers for your car which are very good quality and will last just as well as lexus ones, you wont know the difference. 

These are for the sc430 rear

Screenshot_20200913-214229.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lindylou said:

Hi John

This is my first Lexus and I bought from a dealer.  I have just put the car through an MOT, although it passed it has a couple of advisories, it requires a nearside rear caliper and also two rear shock absorbers they are weeping a little.  I also need an exhaust system but I am looking at a stainless steel.  It has been well maintained and has a good bit of history.  Serviced every year up to 2018.  It had a new cambelt on 89,000 it is now on 118,000 so plenty left I assume!

I really did not realise how much parts were for a Lexus pretty scarey!  I cannot believe a caliper from one company is £570, my husband just bought one for his Astra for £34, what is the difference they are all made of the same material ?  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated with regard to where I can get any spare parts.

Thank you for responding 🙂

Kind Regards

Linda

Hello Linda and thank you for "painting the picture and giving it a frame" to enable us to respond.

I see that you have had some really helpful suggestions already. Members really do try to be helpful where and when they can. From memory Nic, Neil and Bob are particularly helpful and knowledgeable about SC430 matters.

The first thing for me to say is that given you have bought from a Dealer, you have Statutory Rights and he has Statutory Responsibilities.

If the car develops significant problems within 6 months of purchase then it is the Sellers responsibility at Law to put matters right at no cost to you. The Law deems that such problems were present or were developing at the point of Sale. What is or is not significant has to be determined according to the facts of each case.

It is my view that a M.O.T. Certificate would not have been issued if your car showed signs of significant matters, thus the two matters you mention would not warrant asking the Seller to repair or replace at his cost. That is not to say that you should not approach him and suggest that he might like to make a contribution..I leave that to you.

As far as ongoing maintenance and servicing is concerned, you have three options.One, a Main Lexus Dealer, Two, a local Toyota Dealer  and three, a local Independent (Indie) who is knowledgeable about Lexus and/or Toyota.

A Lexus Dealer will be expensive,but if you talk to Lexus at Milton Keynes or Lexus at Hatfield, they should inform you of their preferential rates for older cars such as yours.

A Toyota Dealer will be less expensive and an Indie will be even less expensive and if you can find a good one then he will be worth more than his weight in Gold to you. I attach a list of "Garages" which  Members have used with satisfaction and there may be one or two near to you that you can talk to. These are not recommendations from me or this Forum.They are simply organisations with which Members have been satisfied.

I hope that I have been helpful and that you enjoy many years of Lexus satisfaction.

Lexus Indie Garages (1).docx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links