Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts

My (new-to-me) IS is not blessed with Bluetooth so I've been looking around for a suitably inexpensive cigarette lighter gizmo mainly to provide for hands-free phone calls.

I've been trying out the Nulaxy brand but have realised that as the car ash tray assembly is so deeply inset I require a fitting that incorporates the USB and other music/charging sockets facing upwards rather than sideways.  I also notice that the VicTsing brand is so similar to the Nulaxy range that I suspect they are in some way in cahoots.

The ones I have bought, tried, tested and since sent back for being unsuitable (NX14 and KM29) seem to work fine for hands free calls - not tried them for music but that's not really what I want it for - although the one I did try with up-pointing sockets (NX11) sadly failed to work!

So has anyone had any experience of either or both types of strong enough to recommend?  Or maybe there's another option available to me without having to go down the more expensive route of permanent car modification ... ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Rowley. Search the forum for your answer as there's been a few threads on this. I thoroughly recommend what I've got. It's inconspicuous as it lives in the glove box. I'll get back to you with links 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've bought a few over the years. They're all much of a muchness but most recently this one. Works just fine in the V70.

And alternative would be the GROM kit which is far superior. Guessing it's this.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I've had a look on my ebay purchases and unfortunately two of the parts aren't available but you'll definitely need one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-Right-Angle-Adapter-Male-to-Female-90-Degree-Bend-Adaptor-/292074804774?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Look for a Shallow 12v cigarette lighter charger and there's plenty of Bluetooth adapters available. 

Being in the glove box means it's out of the way and connects instantly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Appreciate your interest Vlad but it's the lighter socket Bluetooth transmitter I'm after, just a simple one-piece fitment like the one Richard has highlighted that he had in his V70 ... cheap and cheerful, no kits, no GROMs, no cables and no adapters necessary.

Having done a bit more searching it looks like the Nulaxy or VicTsing brands are favourite as long as they have USB sockets that are accessible vertically out of the ash tray recess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rich1068 said:

I've bought a few over the years. They're all much of a muchness but most recently this one. Works just fine in the V70.

And alternative would be the GROM kit which is far superior. Guessing it's this.

Cheers Richard, that VicTsing you highlight looks similar to the ones I've been investigating ... good to know I'm on the right track. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's fair enough Rowley. When I was looking at the same when I first got my 250 I wanted a stealth system. Basically plug in and forget. Personally I don't like those chunky in your face Bluetooth adapters like the victsing etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

That's fair enough Rowley. When I was looking at the same when I first got my 250 I wanted a stealth system. Basically plug in and forget. Personally I don't like those chunky in your face Bluetooth adapters like the victsing etc.

Connect a small MP3 player in the glovebox in the audio in jack socket and power it from the socket in there also. The way these sockets are located they aren't that much use for anything anyway when the armrest is down. Have done this to mine and it works great, stuck a whole load of songs in it so the selection lasts forever - when you want to add new ones just copy them over.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmmmm that's interesting Newbie. I've not noticed a aux in socket or 12v cig socket in the glove box. You intrigue me regarding a small mp3 player. Are the songs listing shown on the satnav screen? Can you choose via the screen what song you want to listen too? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe in the armrest?

3.5mm is a "dumb" connection. It won't do anything other than play the audio. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumb connection? What more do you want it to do? That's the sole purpose of a 3.5mm aux socket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You asked if the songs would show on the screen and if you could control the player via the screen. That's impossible with a 3.5mm connection. That's what I meant by dumb.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Mmmmm that's interesting Newbie. I've not noticed a aux in socket or 12v cig socket in the glove box. You intrigue me regarding a small mp3 player. Are the songs listing shown on the satnav screen? Can you choose via the screen what song you want to listen too? 

Sorry, meant the armrest !! It wont show any data on the screen but place the MP3 player next to the shift lever once its all plugged in and you can change songs etc as you want.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 12:40 PM, rich1068 said:

I've bought a few over the years. They're all much of a muchness but most recently this one. Works just fine in the V70.

And alternative would be the GROM kit which is far superior. Guessing it's this.

Thanks again Richard, your recommendation has helped guide me. After trying out (and returning) three unsuitable Nulaxy transmitters I've purchased a VicTsing incorporating Bluetooth v5.0 that has improvements over your v4.1 ... as perhaps one would expect in this ever improving sequential and technological world 🙂.

It's just the job, fits the cigarette socket like a glove, is effective and unobtrusive, exactly what I wanted ... and all for £12.99 👌 ... just in case you're thinking of an upgrade 😉.

VicTsing.jpg.b4a896f3d1fba01d11ec002e131f9874.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you've sorted your Bluetooth issue. Have to disagree with your choice of word 'unobtrusive '. Anything visible is not really unobtrusive. But that's my opinion. What I use which is in the cubbyhole under the armrest is 100% unobtrusive and out of sight from prying eyes. No need to remove when exiting my car and plugging back in when I get back in. Enjoy your music streaming 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Glad you've sorted your Bluetooth issue. Have to disagree with your choice of word 'unobtrusive '. Anything visible is not really unobtrusive. But that's my opinion. What I use which is in the cubbyhole under the armrest is 100% unobtrusive and out of sight from prying eyes. No need to remove when exiting my car and plugging back in when I get back in. Enjoy your music streaming 

Agree with this.  Under the armrest is a lighter socket and an aux cable.  I plug my Bluetooth anker into the aux socket and power comes from the lighter socket all out sight in the arm rest thingy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Soundsync-Bluetooth-Connection-Headphones/dp/B07H5C2BQX/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=anker+bluetooth&qid=1613139515&sr=8-4

This is what I got and with Bluetooth on your phone switched on it automatically connects when you get into the car.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anker is a very reliable brand, didn't know they made this type of device. would like to know how it performs, not totally happy with the performance of my device of choice, not loud  enough

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not loud enough? Does your car have the ML system? The Bluetooth adapter I've given links to and use streams music exceptionally well with thundering bass if its there in the first place. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KenMavor said:

Agree with this.  Under the armrest is a lighter socket and an aux cable.  I plug my bluetooth anker into the aux socket and power comes from the lighter socket all out sight in the arm rest thingy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Soundsync-Bluetooth-Connection-Headphones/dp/B07H5C2BQX/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=anker+bluetooth&qid=1613139515&sr=8-4

This is what I got and with bluetooth on your phone switched on it automatically connects when you get into the car.

 

 

Thanks for your input Ken, although I guess there must be a difference somewhere seeing as your Anker is described as a 'receiver' and my VicTsing is called a 'transmitter' 🤔.  At least the automatic connection is the same as, like your Anker, the VicTsing also does this and pairs as soon as my phone enters the car.

Maybe a bit more research is required on my part so that next time I might have an extra option ... to go for the invisible rather than the unobtrusive. 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Sundance said:

Thanks for your input Ken, although I guess there must be a difference somewhere seeing as your Anker is described as a 'receiver' and my VicTsing is called a 'transmitter' 🤔.  At least the automatic connection is the same as, like your Anker, the VicTsing also does this and pairs as soon as my phone enters the car.

Maybe a bit more research is required on my part so that next time I might have an extra option ... to go for the invisible rather than the unobtrusive. 😄

The Anker receives the signal from the phone and then transmits it through the aux socket to the stereo.  My 250 stereo doesn't have Bluetooth as standard so signal has to go through aux. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KenMavor said:

The Anker receives the signal from the phone and then transmits it through the aux socket to the stereo.  My 250 stereo doesn't have Bluetooth as standard so signal has to go through aux. 

I think what you are suggesting it that the unit you are buying will capture the signal from the phone via Bluetooth and then transmit, on the frequency selected, which the radio will then pick up when tuned into that frequency. Will defo work and any even be better that what I have as there is a lot of interference for which I bought a suppressor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, KenMavor said:

I think what you are suggesting it that the unit you are buying will capture the signal from the phone via Bluetooth and then transmit, on the frequency selected, which the radio will then pick up when tuned into that frequency. Will defo work and any even be better that what I have as there is a lot of interference for which I bought a suppressor.

That sounds about right as the transmitter displays an FM frequency through which it connects so I select and have now stored that frequency like I do for any other radio channel.

I tested all four of the transmitters, including the three (returned after testing) from Nulaxy, by calling the same chum so he could give me an accurate assessment of clarity and background noise whilst I was both stationary and moving and the VicTsing came out best with minimal background interference.

Early days though, but for the price I can't really complain.  Thanks again Ken. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhh the victsing. Thanks for confirming how it works Rowley. I must give you my experience of a similar way to stream. I started out a few years ago with such a device in my truck. However its Major downfall is the radio signal would get taken over by a radio station as I travelled from one town to another. I thought I found a great frequency but inevitably it got taken over by a radio station. As soon as I found a different way, the way I use now, I changed and now no interference from 'cowboy' radio stations or electrical interference, my unit has an inbuilt suppressor. Yes there are Bluetooth adapters similar to what I have But a good proportion need the addition of a suppressor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership