Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mud flaps

Gary WT

At least building a car to order these days avoids the horrible sight back in the 70's and 80's when manufacturers (usually British) just kept building cars without orders and putting them in a real field to sit there for weeks if not months. Some, I remember, seeing photos of cars up to their axles in water with red rusty brake discs and hubs.    Now of course most cars are built to a customer order and on a just in time assembly basis. 

Good afternoon Mincey,

Nice one! We’ll all be able to compare notes when we take delivery👍 and either celebrate a bargain or moan about a dud.

Hopefully the former 🤞.

PeteTP.

• Like 1

UPDATE

Stone the crows!

Mud flaps have just arrived from China - that was quick. However the weather in my corner of the forest isn’t currently suitable for fitting them.

OOI, they look as advertised but won’t know for sure if they’re bang on until I clean the car and proceed to fit.

More to follow in due course.

PeteTP

• Like 2

They'll fit Pete if they came from China as per the earlier descriptions in this thread.  You may or may not want to secure the rears with the extra screw position in the actual rear arch liner NOT the actual bumper.   The fronts use  the  two 10 mm self tapping bolts already in place and one plastic button. One of the 10mm bolts is underneath.   Turn your steering to allow better access, no need to remove wheels.    The rears are held in place by 3 plastic retainers already in place and if you choose  you can use a self tapping screw  which screws into the rear arch liner and  I found it was easier to drill that pilot hole with the wheel off.   The rears will hold with the 3 plastic retainers but if you want belt and braces then the single self tapper will really secure them in place.  

1 hour ago, SH20 said:

They'll fit Pete if they came from China as per the earlier descriptions in this thread.  You may or may not want to secure the rears with the extra screw position in the actual rear arch liner NOT the actual bumper.   The fronts use  the  two 10 mm self tapping bolts already in place and one plastic button. One of the 10mm bolts is underneath.   Turn your steering to allow better access, no need to remove wheels.    The rears are held in place by 3 plastic retainers already in place and if you choose  you can use a self tapping screw  which screws into the rear arch liner and  I found it was easier to drill that pilot hole with the wheel off.   The rears will hold with the 3 plastic retainers but if you want belt and braces then the single self tapper will really secure them in place.  

Thanks everso much for that advice. Being the village idiot and naturally thick, useless at DIY and bereft of any mechanic skills that guidance will go a long way to helping me achieve the aim.

However, don’t be surprised or irritated if I’m back with a few stupid questions.  Will post further in due course…..all dependent on a met improvement 🤞.

PeteTP

No problem but you will be fine, the mud flaps follow the contours of the front wings and the rear bumper.  No need to force them into position, they will fit naturally.  The small plastic button, just one  in the  front wing liners requires nothing more than a very small screwdriver  to prise  out the round flat washer shaped disc and then hold the disc and gentle pull the whole body of the fastener.  This will pass back through the mudflap and back in the hole it came out of.  You then push the disc button firmly  home. The two bolt fastenings simply screw out with a 10mm socket or ring spanner and back in but when the mud flap is in position the bolt underneath will require a socket and a short  extension to make it easier.   The rears have two fasteners like the front, same process to remove and fit them, slightly different in size so remember which one fits which hole.   A third further inside the wheel arch which pops out by using a large flat screwdriver and work it out although if you have a two pronged lever it will come out easier as you will be applying equal pressure on two sides at once. 

No need to use a self tapper for the 4th position I mentioned if you are not keen to drill the wheel arch liner with the wheel removed.  The rear flaps will hold with 3 fixings quite easily.    

• Thanks 1

I can’t help thinking that if Lexus had meant my car to have mud flaps, then they would have fitted them.

Maybe the light spattering of road spray has an exotic significance that is beyond my understanding- and may even have a special name?

But heigh-ho…solely on the basis of the exuberant reports by posters here, whom I hold totally responsible for my actions, I am on the verge of investing some of the cat’s holiday fund on acquiring a set.

I do hope he won’t have cause to regret it.

On 1/13/2022 at 2:31 PM, PeteTP said:

Go on Len. Ya know it makes sense.

PeteTP

You could be right, Pete.  This is the result of a 70 mile round trip yesterday.

Just as well I hadn’t spent time the day before giving it the snow foam treatment.

Just a minute….I HAD!!!   😩

CB0EDC78-1FBD-42C0-BEF8-D65207972D05.jpeg

On 1/11/2022 at 7:15 PM, SH20 said:

No problem but you will be fine, the mud flaps follow the contours of the front wings and the rear bumper.  No need to force them into position, they will fit naturally.  The small plastic button, just one  in the  front wing liners requires nothing more than a very small screwdriver  to prise  out the round flat washer shaped disc and then hold the disc and gentle pull the whole body of the fastener.  This will pass back through the mudflap and back in the hole it came out of.  You then push the disc button firmly  home. The two bolt fastenings simply screw out with a 10mm socket or ring spanner and back in but when the mud flap is in position the bolt underneath will require a socket and a short  extension to make it easier.   The rears have two fasteners like the front, same process to remove and fit them, slightly different in size so remember which one fits which hole.   A third further inside the wheel arch which pops out by using a large flat screwdriver and work it out although if you have a two pronged lever it will come out easier as you will be applying equal pressure on two sides at once. 

No need to use a self tapper for the 4th position I mentioned if you are not keen to drill the wheel arch liner with the wheel removed.  The rear flaps will hold with 3 fixings quite easily.    

Can I ask if you have fit these or intend to fit to your 2022 model? I would like to order a set if you think they would fit a2022 model ES Premium edition.

2 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

Can I ask if you have fit these or intend to fit to your 2022 model? I would like to order a set if you think they would fit a2022 model ES Premium edition.

Yes the flaps fit on a 2022 model as they did back in 2019. All panels are the same so I just transferred them to my new ES. No difference at all.

Hi Neil,

Good question. I’ve not incurred any charges beyond what I paid at the point of sale. Not definitive information but merely my own experience.

Hope that’s of some help.

Cheers,

PeteTP

Fine thing.

It’s a bit too Siberian in my corner of the forest at the moment for any activity outside. Need it to warm up more than slightly.

But please do let us know how it goes. According to Steve it should be a breeze.

BFN

PeteTP

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links