Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I was advised that the car I bought at the beginning of this month will require a service. 

It seems that it should include sparkplugs at this time.

Does anyone have an idea of the cost of this service @lexus or @localmechanic? It looks like about 2 hours work.

I'm tempted to do it myself - are there any pitfalls I should be aware of or anything I should do 'while I'm there' ?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

There is a surprisingly high amount of stripping down to reach the rear bank to change s/plugs.  This process should ideally be done in a garage where you areaway from wind and rain.  There are videos on u tube showing the process and I suggest you look at these and then decide if you want to do the job or farm it out.  

If the brake fluid service is due and is the same as on the RCX450h, you will need 'techstream' for bleeding the rear brakes.  The front ones can be bled as normal.  These two items  apart, servicing is pretty straight forward.  Am aware these cars had a cambelt rather than chain fitted to later models so you may find this involved when the belt is due for replacement at recommended mileage. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

you will need 'techstream' for bleeding the rear brakes.  The front ones can be bled as normal.  

I wonder why the front brakes can be bled as normal, without techstream?  I thought the brakes on all four wheels are brake-by-wire, aren't they?  

The need to use techstream foxed my garage for a while after he fixed my rear brake pipe recently.  

20 hours ago, welland said:

I wonder why the front brakes can be bled as normal, without techstream?  I thought the brakes on all four wheels are brake-by-wire, aren't they?  

The front brakes are hydraulically connected to the brake pedal. When the system is working correctly, when you press the brake pedal, valves close to stop the direct connectivity and therefore braking is achieved only 'by-wire'. If there is a failure, or the vehicle is turned off, the valves remain open so you have the ability to brake on the front (without servo assistance).

You therefore can technically partially bleed the front brakes in a conventional sense BUT YOU SHOULD NOT DO THIS. You wouldn't be refreshing the fluid that is in the 'by-wire' part of the system and the rear brakes don't have the direct connection at all.

You need Techsteam, the Toyota held-hand or another diagnostic tool that can disable the electronic braking system and open/close the many valves so you can replace all the fluid and correctly bleed the system. 

• Like 1

The recommended spark plug change interval in the UK is 60,000 miles. Confusingly in the USA the recommended change interval is 100,000 miles. If everything is working OK I wouldn't personally be worried if I went over the 60,000 mile interval before I got round to changing the plugs.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2021 at 10:46 AM, OldStoat said:

Hi all,

I was advised that the car I bought at the beginning of this month will require a service. 

It seems that it should include sparkplugs at this time.

Does anyone have an idea of the cost of this service @lexus or @localmechanic? It looks like about 2 hours work.

I'm tempted to do it myself - are there any pitfalls I should be aware of or anything I should do 'while I'm there' ?

Thanks in advance.

copy and paste from my page;

Lexus 450h forum Rk - Page 4 - Lexus GS 300 / Lexus GS 250 / Lexus GS 430 / Lexus 450h / Lexus GS 460 Club - Lexus Owners Club

hi its just as i said. the total with Lexus is £1033. I paid a £189 deposit then £40 per month for next three years. For that price i get three services to major and one minor and half price mot's as a bonus add on. so I'm getting a free minor service out of it over the three years essentially so works out cheaper if you were to pay individually.

Also i was told you cannot use the Lexus Gold membership for the service plan but you can use for individual services asked for and discount on parts.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links