Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

46 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

The fact that multiple people on these forums have had issues. Granted it isn't a high number, but it is a number that is higher than all other Lexus hybrids combined, and it sold the least.

Plus the issue with the gearbox fluid pump bearings.

When was that last issue Colin ? I believe I know by the way.

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Likewise GS300 does not have electric dampers, I am not aware of any electric dampers failing because of being electric, but I know that replacing electric dampers will be much more expensive than replacing standard ones. With age of the cars approaching 15 years this becomes realistic possibility.

and the variable ratio steering - that uses an electric motor which has been ultra reliable to this point, but is clearly a more complex and expensive system to fix if a problem does arise compared to a conventional system.

Buying a 15 years old complex car needs to be done on the understanding that if things go wrong it could be expensive and parts difficult to get hold of outside the ultra expensive main dealer network. If you are mechanically minded or have a good mechanic you can rely on then you can greatly reduce the financial risk.

Personally I'd have the 450h over the 300 any day of the week but it isn't the right choice for everyone.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

When was that last issue Colin ? I believe I know by the way.

Multiple people have suffered the pump issue. Easily fixed for a few £££ if you have the knowledge/experience/tools to DIY or wouldn't be that expensive to get a mechanic to do it for you once you should him this thread:

It's a great example of what you can do yourself for a £10 compared to £3,000+ if you asked a Lexus dealer to fix it for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

GS450 comes with electronic dampers standard, GS300 does not.

The dampers are entirely mechanical. The damping is varied by a small external motor that turns a rod running through the main damper shaft. That said they are expensive because there is no alternative and they do seem to fail more often than those on the GS300. Damper problems seem much more common than hybrid Battery problems.

Linas also said "But, both are generally extremely reliable cars." Yes.

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, serbarry said:

This one looks like the top of the range SE-L. It has things that were later made optional like the adaptive cruise control.

John

9 hours ago, OldTrout said:

The dampers are entirely mechanical. The damping is varied by a small external motor that turns a rod running through the main damper shaft. That said they are expensive because there is no alternative and they do seem to fail more often than those on the GS300. Damper problems seem much more common than hybrid battery problems.

Linas also said "But, both are generally extremely reliable cars." Yes.

John

I did wonder where he got Electric Dampers from!  But having watched the Golf, I was ready for bed.

9 hours ago, OldTrout said:

This one looks like the top of the range SE-L. It has things that were later made optional like the adaptive cruise control.

John

Fascinating to compare values, 6.5k will get you 2 Duresta sofas in the sale, now they won't get you anywhere but boy are they comfortable 😂

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

Fascinating to compare values, 6.5k will get you 2 Duresta sofas in the sale, now they won't get you anywhere but boy are they comfortable 😂

The 450h is both comfortable and able to get you somewhere!

John

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I did wonder where he got Electric Dampers from!  But having watched the Golf, I was ready for bed.

I had adaptive suspension in mind, but doesn't electric motor at the top of the strut makes it "electric"? Point is - these fail more often and are more expensive to replace than simple ones in GS300.

14 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I had adaptive suspension in mind, but electric motor at the top of the strut makes it "electric". Point is - these fail more often and are more expensive to replace than and fails more often than simple ones in GS300.

You are allowed slippage my friend. Your wide knowledge, enhanced friendliness and an almost masterful knowledge of our language is most impressive.

Keep taking the tablets !😜

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

You are allowed slippage my friend. Your wide knowledge, enhanced friendliness and an almost masterful knowledge of our language is most impressive.

Keep taking the tablets !😜

...and I made above comment before finishing my coffee, so pardon lack of continuity in my sentence 😁

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, OldTrout said:

The 450h is both comfortable and able to get you somewhere!

John

Well John, I agree with the former but had my 450h for 3 weeks now and my sofas have moved further😂😂😂 Roll on the end of this wretched state of affairs in the country. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links