Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone

Just wanted to know what is a better car and the key differences between the GS300 & GS450H ?

Please let me know

Thank you

20 minutes ago, b4u2 said:

Which model is better?

450h is better... 😁

In Lexus range (like in most brands which use numeric nomenclature) the higher number = better.

I am assuming you looking at mk3 GS. GS300 will always be cheaper, because GS450h is always a better car like for like.

So for same price GS300 will have lower mileage, for same price GS300 will be in better condition - these are generalisations of course. 

GS450h will have lower road tax because it is hybrid. GS450 comes with electronic dampers standard, GS300 does not. GS450h is obviously faster and more fuel efficient. But it is difficult to say which cars is "better", because for different people different criteria matters. 

In short you need to define your criteria more clearly. If you ask me and give me choice between GS300 and GS450h, for the same price an all else being equal I would always choose GS450h.

@Linas.P

Thanks for your response. I guess the model that will last me longer and is more comfortable will be a better choice.

I want a low mileage under 5k as cheap as possible but worthwhile of course.

You could have both under £5k, but it seems to me that you will always be able to get "better deal" on GS300, for the reasons I have already explained, but that is precisely because generally it is not considered "better" car, it is simply cheaper car with less exciting standard equipment.

As well, GS300 is probably more reliable, just less things to go wrong, whereas particularly mk3 hybrid batteries could go wrong, they equally could be fixed, but still more to go wrong with GS450h, than it is with 300.

But, both are generally extremely reliable cars. 

2 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

You could have both under £5k, but it seems to me that you will always be able to get "better deal" on GS300, for the reasons I have already explained, but that is precisely because generally it is not considered "better" car, it is simply cheaper car with less exciting standard equipment.

As well, GS300 is probably more reliable, just less things to go wrong, whereas particularly mk3 hybrid batteries could go wrong, they equally could be fixed, but still more to go wrong with GS450h, than it is with 300.

Linas, what evidence do you have stating that Mark 3 Hybrid Batteries are going wrong ?

3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Linas, what evidence do you have stating that Mark 3 Hybrid Batteries are going wrong ?

I didn't say they are going wrong, I said they could go wrong. There are few threads and instances where hybrid Battery cells failed and needed repairs. As GS300 does not have that Battery at all, so that is one less thing to go wrong. As well, where I say particularly in mk3 - I mean in comparison with mk4, which are not known to have Battery issues yet. Obviously, it may be just range and mileage difference at the moment.

Again, as I said, both cars are extremely reliable, but GS300 would be that tiny bit more reliable by not having hybrid Battery. Likewise GS300 does not have electric dampers, I am not aware of any electric dampers failing because of being electric, but I know that replacing electric dampers will be much more expensive than replacing standard ones. With age of the cars approaching 15 years this becomes realistic possibility.

In short what I am saying, GS450h being more complex car with more equipment there is more to go wrong in it. Not that it goes wrong, but there is more risk naturally. 

18 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I didn't say they are going wrong, I said they could go wrong. There are few threads and instances where hybrid battery cells failed and needed repairs. As GS300 does not have that battery at all, so that is one less thing to go wrong. As well, where I say particularly in mk3 - I mean in comparison with mk4, which are not known to have battery issues yet. Obviously, it may be just range and mileage difference at the moment.

Again, as I said, both cars are extremely reliable, but GS300 would be that tiny bit more reliable by not having hybrid battery. Likewise GS300 does not have electric dampers, I am not aware of any electric dampers failing because of being electric, but I know that replacing electric dampers will be much more expensive than replacing standard ones. With age of the cars approaching 15 years this becomes realistic possibility.

In short what I am saying, GS450h being more complex car with more equipment there is more to go wrong in it. Not that it goes wrong, but there is more risk naturally. 

I do not think that you can point me to a thread where the Gen3 Hybrid Battery has gone wrong having been bought from a Lexus Main Dealer and having a full Lexus Service History, apart from the one I mentioned a week or two ago.

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

I do not think that you can point me to a thread where the Gen3 Hybrid Battery has gone wrong having been bought from a Lexus Main Dealer and having a full Lexus Service History, apart from the one I mentioned a week or two ago.

I probably could not. 

I never looked into why they fail, but I know they could and do fail (like anything really). GS300 not having this Battery, just has one less thing to fail. From my memory there were at least 3-4 threads about failed cells and even walk thought/guide of how to DIY replace them (which requires little bit of advanced skills).

Does that make GS450h unreliable - no! Does it make GS300 more reliable in theory - yes... which one I would chose personally - GS450h any day. So clearly this Battery fault is not high enough risk to get worried.

As well OP mentioned that he intends to purchase car under £5k, by which time it means that is not going to be Main Dealers sale and to be fair I doubt any main dealers still have any GS mk3 on sale.

1 minute ago, Linas.P said:

I probably could not. 

I never looked into why they fail, but I know they could and do fail (like anything really). GS300 not having this battery, just has one less thing to fail. From my memory there were at least 3-4 threads about failed cells and even walk thought/guide of how to DIY replace them (which requires little bit of advanced skills).

Does that make GS450h unreliable - no! Does it make GS300 more reliable in theory - yes... which one I would chose personally - GS450h any day. So clearly this battery fault is not high enough risk to get worried.

As well OP mentioned that he intends to purchase car under £5k, by which time it means that is not going to be Main Dealers sale and to be fair I doubt any main dealers still have any GS mk3 on sale.

"Does that make GS450h unreliable - no! Does it make GS300 more reliable in theory - yes... which one I would chose personally - GS450h any day. So clearly this Battery fault is not high enough risk to get worried."

Linas you might consider adding the above to any future statements you make so as to reflect a balanced view ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

Linas you might consider adding the above to any future statements you make so as to reflect a balanced view ?

I think I was quite clear, but perhaps I should be clearer in future.

50 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

The fact that multiple people on these forums have had issues. Granted it isn't a high number, but it is a number that is higher than all other Lexus hybrids combined, and it sold the least.

Plus the issue with the gearbox fluid pump bearings.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links