Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New(ish) Member

Hi all,

Been a member on this site a few years until recently. Owned a CT, but part-exchanged it for a Toyota C-HR last year. 

I'm now in the process of buying a New UX Premium Sport. Always wanted to move back to Lexus since parting with my CT, so looks like this may be the time I'll do it.

Dealer has kindly loaned me a UX for 24 hours on Wednesday - just to confirm I'm happy with seating and general comfort etc. I've already paid an holding deposit.

I'm aware that mpg won't be as good as the C-HR and entertainment system is.........pretty crap to average. Car is also on Run flats, so no repair kit or Space saver ( and no option to fit either ). Boot also looks a bit smaller than my C-HR, but not too fussed as there is only 2 of us.

So, do you guys have any thoughts on my purchase regarding spec or generally about the UX? Got the car for £28,000. £30,500 retail, then £2500 Lexus deposit allowance. Seen some 12 month-old used for not far off that price, so deal looks like a good one.

Look forward to any comments, negative or otherwise.

TIA.

• Like 1

Hello....Welcome.....we can’t keep meeting like this,I’m sure we have swapped info on the CHR site as I’ve just got my Ux a couple of weeks ago!

Regarding your purchase I see this morning on autotrader a Lexus dealer has an 18 month old with 6000 miles Ux Takumi F-sport in Graphite black with the stunning red interior for under £28000 complete with dashcam that seems like a heck of a deal but depends if you want new or not,but obviously this car will attract the extra road tax,food for thought.

Have you got your demo car yet to try out?

😬. I was initially thinking used, but a new deal on Premium Sport spec was very good - I think. 🤔.

My test drive was put off until tomorrow, so will have a better idea of pros and cons after tomorrow.

One major concern are the run flats. However, was speaking to a tyre garage we use for work and they stated they can be plugged for punctures - providing they’re not the gel type? Premium Sport is fitted with 18” Run flats.

Nothing is certain yet, so will see what tomorrow brings. 😉

My UX Premium Plus is just passing Minehead  in the Bristol Channel so will be with me soon. I think that has 18' Run Flats and I test drove one for two hours at Christmas and thought it was a great ride and so nippy compared to my CT.

Looking forward to what you think of your test drive

Exciting! This will be the first new car I’ve bought for myself. I’ve had lease cars new, but never brand new for myself. 
I’ll try to give you my immediate thoughts after the test drive, but realise it takes weeks; if not months to get used to a car.

I’m also a little confused. I would have thought base UX with Premium plus pack fitted would be cheaper than Premium Sport? Dealer tells me absolutely not the case??  Might do some ground work on this later.

Agree. I’m not too keen on the black wheels, mirror covers and headlamp glass. I’d also much rather have the 17” wheels with tyre repair kit.

Think if these make me unsure, I probably won’t have one and challenge dealer to get me a good deal on UX with Premium pack plus.

Dealer also tells me - built-in Nav is auto updated for life of vehicle? 

My advice would be to ensure that the tyre brand is Dunlop. After numerous test drives we found that the Bridgestone run flats were far too noisy. the dealer swapped them FOC as part of the deal. Dunlop run flats extremely quiet. This is also confirmed by other members.

Hope this info helps.

Paul

Thanks. I did read about this. Dunlop’s are a softer tyre and as such are quieter and wear a little quicker. I’ve had Bridgestones before and even though they are noisier, suggesting a harder compound, they didn’t last at all.

I’m tempted to go for UX with Premium pack - opposed to Premium Sport. This is the problem not being able to go and look around dealers. I will however mention changing to Dunlop’s anyway - regardless of what spec I have.

Thanks again for the advice and info.

Maybe try to drive the test drive car on as many different road types as you can and at as many different speeds as you can. If necessary, then repeat the same test in your own car after as a comparison. Road noise is a bit of a bug bear of mine I must admit.

Update - I’ve had the car since 10am this morning and just popped back home for a break.

Bridgestone Tyre noise is awful! Hear and feel every rumble through the steering wheel and brake pedal. Not good.

Car I have is with Premium pack plus. Mark Levinson sound system, HUD ( which is very good ), electric seats and column and Sunroof. I know the Premium sport doesn’t have these options fitted, so a bit unfair of them to give me a car with these option. Probably a ploy to get me into a higher spec car. 🙄

So, is the car better than my C-HR? Definitely. The engine is smooth and powerful, plus I was getting 57mpg! Seats are better, but may need to fiddle around to obtain best position ( as every car I’ve owned ). 
Cabin quality feels solid, but a bit more compact than the C-HR. 

Now the entertainment system........what a faff! It will take a bit of getting used to, but it’s not impossible. Find Nav screen a bit too small also, but not too bothered when you have apple play and voice instructions. Weirdly, this car doesn’t have BSM or RCTA......which I’d miss if I never had it.

In summary - think I have a few discussions to be had with dealer on specs and especially tyres. He has informed me he will have a Premium Sport spec in by next week for me to have a look at. 

Anyway, back out for a few more miles.........

• Like 1

That sounds an awesome spec. I'm one down from that without the Electric seats HUD and ML stereo.

Great feedback on the tyres though - My car is now parked at Anchor in the Bristol channel so as soon as it's on dry land I'll talk to the dealer on whats on it.

20 hours ago, adnewton said:

I’m also a little confused. I would have thought base UX with Premium plus pack fitted would be cheaper than Premium Sport? Dealer tells me absolutely not the case??  Might do some ground work on this later.

The Premium Sport has options from the Premium Plus Pack (such as Blind Spot Monitor) but doesn't have everything from the Premium Pack (doesn't have heated steering wheel) so pricing difficult to compare but it is essentially a special edition which normally provides value over the standard grades.

The Premium Sport is the same price as a UX with Premium Pack + SatNav, or £850 more expensive if you don't add SatNav.

Had a chat with dealer on taking the car back. They offered to change tyres to Dunlop’s foc. 
They also had a newly arrived Premium Sport spec. Interior is dark with charcoal leather and no sunroof. The aesthetic changes to add black accents to roof rails, door mirror caps and headlamps - looks OK tbh. Car also has BSM and RCTA. 
So, am I going to buy one?? I don’t think there’s enough car for me to part with my C-HR plus £14k. The 2L engine is fantastic; along with ride and handling........but, I just don’t feel excited enough about owning one. Too many doubts about specs and if I’ll ever get used to that ICE system!

I got back into my CHR and it seemed so easy to drive, select music, Nav etc......and feel comfortable.

I’m going to have a good think over the next few days, but the wife.......she wants to keep the CHR!  We will see. 🥴

Many thanks for all your comments and valuable feedback. It’s what these forums are all about. 👍

Just a note for thought - I’ve worked in car industry for 40 years:  they only put out Special editions when they either can’t sell the cars or model  year is coming to the end of its run. So Premium Sport is either a bargain or upgraded to sell old model year stock.

A good fair assessment and at the end of the day if you don’t feel excited about the change then that probably says it all.

Keep enjoying your CHR,I don’t have to tell you it’s a very fine car.

20 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

I assume your C-HR is a 1.8 one?

Yes. 2018. I know the newer C-HRs have the same 2.0L engine and new e-CVT. Might have a look at some point. 👍

I’ve been contacted today by dealer. The car they ordered for me ( which I declined ) has now arrived in dealer. They’ve offered to let me drive it for 20-25 miles on Wednesday, plus, they will throw in 3 years free servicing and change tyres to Dunlop’s - if I purchase before end of month.

I’ve agreed to have another drive and look round the aesthetic changes of the Premium Sport spec. Pretty sure though the Entertainment system will be no different.

Has anyone insured a premium sport yet? Wondering if the word “Sport” in spec, bumps up insurance premiums?

I’ve got the F-sport version and strangely enough it is cheaper to insure than the CHR!,as for the entertainment system I love the music controls close to the armrest and I use the voice controls for the large screen,but agree the touchpad is very quirky to use.

I will be interested to find out if you go for the UX or not,but reading your post about not getting excited I’ve a feeling you will stay with the CHR but you could prove me wrong!

27 minutes ago, adnewton said:

Pretty sure though the Entertainment system will be no different.

Correct it is the same. You have Android Auto/CarPlay as an alternative to using the Lexus system if you wished.

33 minutes ago, adnewton said:

Has anyone insured a premium sport yet? Wondering if the word “Sport” in spec, bumps up insurance premiums?

Shouldn't make much difference if at all. All the FWD non-Takumi grades are in the same 22 group, even the F Sport. Strangely Direct Line didn't recognise/care about any packs to my wife's car. So in theory a fully loaded base grade UX would cost the same as a completely stock one to insure even though it has a list price of £9k more.

• Like 1

Mmmm......not sure about the black/smoked additions tbh on Premium Sport. The other issues are not insurmountable. 
When I had the C-HR, I just couldn’t get on with it, but a year later, I’ve got it all sussed out. Maybe the UX will work that way?  

25 minutes ago, Beduffshirl said:

Mine was flagged "In Transit" on Thursday but hasn't made it the short journey to Birmingham yet 😞

You can have the one I probably won’t have. That’s at Birmingham Fort. 😬

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links