Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bit of a long post here... sorry!

For the last few months I have been looking at changing the car. Initially I was looking at an NX, however, I noticed that second hand RXs (2016+) were within budget. After a lot of searching, I found what I thought was the perfect car. Fast-forward a few days, and I was filled with worry about catalytic converter theft. After reading a variety of websites and frequenting this forum, I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to run the risk, and decided to not proceed with the purchase. I know people are going to say that it was the older RX400h and Series 3 450h targetted, however from reading this forum it seems there is little to no difference between the Series 3 and 4 in terms of catalytic converter layout. In addition, two cars close to where we live were stripped of their cats of the last two days... the worry is a bit too much for me. 

This thread: 

has lots of information, however what I'm a little unsure about is how many catalytic converters the NX actually has. Does it have one or two, and where are they stored? From reading some threads some people seem to think the NX has its Cat in the engine bay - is this true? 

My current is250 is an Advance model with a good speaker system. I did have a premier loan NX once which had the Mark Levinson system which sounded great, ideally I would like that. apple Color Emoji', 'Segoe UI Emoji', 'Segoe UI Symbol';"> I have also driven an f-sport but found it to be too stiff, however, is there any other model / grade to look at? One thing that made me look at the RX over the NX was refinement, and how quiet it seemed when on fast roads, however I have read this is more to do with tyre choice on the NX - how true is this? My route to work is through 30 and 20mph zones, it's not going to be spending a lot of time going fast. 

Lastly, what's the difference between the different models. Some say Luxury with premium navigation - does this come with a better sound system - some list 8 speakers. What does the convenience pack add? 

I really love my IS250, it has easily been the best car I have owned and dare I say, it's part of the family. I spent a while looking for it, and whatever I change it for will have big boots to fill. 

18 minutes ago, Dylanlewis2000 said:

From reading some threads some people seem to think the NX has its Cat in the engine bay - is this true?

The RX has three; two in the engine bay (one for each bank of the V6 engine) and one under the vehicle. (*1 in the diagram)

The NX has two; one in the engine bay and one under the vehicle, although the one under is near the engine bay and not as easy to get to as the RX. (*2 in the NX diagram)

1530588791_Screenshot2021-06-20at21_53_22.thumb.png.b54c6ad586fd5f75727111b67fc7e542.png

567937313_Screenshot2021-06-20at21_54_07.thumb.png.1131aa39536bf699ef44a1125a7eabb3.png

• Like 2

I can’t say that I was bothered about cat converter theft when making a similar decision. 

However I ended up with an NX on the basis that the infotainment/nav was a better quality and I preferred that over the refinement of the RX. 

I don’t think you can pick a car out of fear of what might happen though so I’d just pick the car you want and worry about things when/if they happen. 

3 minutes ago, Martynt74 said:

I can’t say that I was bothered about cat converter theft when making a similar decision. 

However I ended up with an NX on the basis that the infotainment/nav was a better quality and I preferred that over the refinement of the RX. 

I don’t think you can pick a car out of fear of what might happen though so I’d just pick the car you want and worry about things when/if they happen. 

I think what set me off thinking more than anything was someone in work mentioned it to me, showed me a few websites with information on it, then two being done in the same week near where we live... just tipped me over the edge. 

14 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

The RX has three; two in the engine bay (one for each bank of the V6 engine) and one under the vehicle.

The NX has two; one in the engine bay and one under the vehicle, although the one under is near the engine bay and not as easy to get to as the RX.

Ok, i've been trying to get an underside photo of the NX to have a look. When I poked my head under the RX it was fairly obvious and easy to see. With the added ride height of the RX, people online were saying it makes it easier to take. 

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

The RX has three; two in the engine bay (one for each bank of the V6 engine) and one under the vehicle. (*1 in the diagram)

The NX has two; one in the engine bay and one under the vehicle, although the one under is near the engine bay and not as easy to get to as the RX. (*2 in the NX diagram)

1530588791_Screenshot2021-06-20at21_53_22.thumb.png.b54c6ad586fd5f75727111b67fc7e542.png

567937313_Screenshot2021-06-20at21_54_07.thumb.png.1131aa39536bf699ef44a1125a7eabb3.png

I’ve just seen that you have added the images. Where are they?

@Dylanlewis2000 tyres do make a big difference on both the RX and the NX in my experience.

My NX now runs on Avon Summer tyres and they are considerably quieter than the factory fit Yokohama. Other members here tell similar stories about Michelin Cross Climates.

A couple of years ago I had two RX courtesy cars. The first, an F-Sport I just didn’t get as I found it noisy and hard riding. The second was a ‘standard’ Sport and it was a much nicer experience for me. Yes, the difference between F-Sport and Sport made a difference, but the accepted wisdom was that the tyre choice probably had almost as much to do with it.

Funnily enough a few friends sent this to me this morning too, albeit from different news agencies. It's a shame that this is such a crime. I don't like the fact that people would have been under the car even to have a look. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links