Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What would be the true mileage for my engine?

Hello, I'm not sure if this subject has been discussed previously?

What percentage of a Hybrids total mileage will have been covered by the engine alone?

I know the engine and the Battery work together a lot of the time but has anyone come up with an answer?

For instance, for a RX400h that's done 100k miles, doing a balance of town and country driving, how much of that will have been battery/engine/engine and Battery?

I apologise if I should have found a previous thread on this before!

• Like 1

I don't believe that information is stored, certainly not on the 400h. For urban driving you could have up to 50% of the mileage on EV but for motorway 0 to 5%.

It's not just total mileage - the hybrid system stops all the idle running which you get when waiting at lights, stuck in traffic etc.

On vehicles with Lexus Link you get stats on EV usage - but looking at it now I can only see the last journey, previously ones don't show the EV stats 😞

For the last journey my vehicle made - it was only 2.6 miles in total, but EV accounted for 58% of the time and 47% of the distance (Not sure how it accounts for when electric is assisting the petrol engine).  

• Like 1

True mileage? Isn't that a bit "true Scotsman"? Unless you've changed engine, the mileage is that the odometer says.

If you care about distance covered by EV only, as Colin pointed out, it's not an either or type situation. So if the electric assisted the ICE, how would you even divide that? The opposite scenario: if you are sat idling, the ICE might be running to recharge the Battery yet cover no miles.

What is the question that lead to this question?

I think the difficulties mentioned are probably the reason why plant machinery like air compressors and suchlike have a time meter that displays the total amount of hours the engines have been running.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 6:13 PM, locinsys said:

Hello, I'm not sure if this subject has been discussed previously?

What percentage of a Hybrids total mileage will have been covered by the engine alone?

I know the engine and the battery work together a lot of the time but has anyone come up with an answer?

For instance, for a RX400h that's done 100k miles, doing a balance of town and country driving, how much of that will have been battery/engine/engine and battery?

I apologise if I should have found a previous thread on this before!

Lexus themselves recently recorded a telematics experiment using an RX400h over 2037 miles, to see what percentage of journeys used Battery electric power alone. Potentially, this could be extrapolated out to give a very rough figure (as they mention in the article, this is dependent on many factors like the car itself, driving conditions, driving style, etc.).

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lexus-rx-400h-project-telematics/

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links