Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashcam

PeteTP

6 hours ago, e-yes said:

Gentlemen, I am also now considering getting a dash cam.

I think I will probably get it done at a dealership. The closest ones to me are Twickenham, Reading and Ealing.

Anyone used them before for dash cam install ? Any recommendations ?

Thanks,

--E

We went via Nextbase to get the 622GW plus rear shooter. We also used their fitting service, which is actually RS Connect who come out to the house. I didn't want to pull a £45k car to bits myself as my track record with electrics isn't great. 

Everything was fine for a few weeks then just before we went to Ireland I noticed the trim on the passenger side pillar was looking a bit odd as if it had popped out. So I pushed it back together and all was fine for a day or so. Now it is hanging down and the glue/resin inside is completely ruined. I've given then a chance to come back and sort it properly, which hopefully they will on Friday next week. 

One thing that has concerned me with their after sales service is that they left me a voicemail which was clearly for someone else. They mentioned about an engine management light being on since the camera was fitted. Now I'm wondering what they've done to someone else car!

The 622GW itself appears to be working properly and I'd absolutely recommend it as a unit. The sound and video quality really is excellent. Sadly the fitting service has left a bad after taste.

Pictures to show what we're currently sat with against how it should look.

PXL_20220614_121325753.jpg

PXL_20220614_121350104.jpg

PXL_20220614_121333121.jpg

• Sad 3

OMG Marko89! That’s not acceptable and I’d be asking that Nextbase pay for Lexus to (professionally) put it back to its original condition. After all you didn’t ask them to trash the A pillar trim did you?

PeteTP

3 hours ago, PeteTP said:

OMG Marko89! That’s not acceptable and I’d be asking that Nextbase pay for Lexus to (professionally) put it back to its original condition. After all you didn’t ask them to trash the A pillar trim did you?

PeteTP

I'm giving them the opportunity to sort it, if not they'll be footing the bill for Glasgow Lexus to fix it. Will be going in for a service in late August, so should know by then if the fix is holding up hopefully.

5 hours ago, Marko89 said:

We went via Nextbase to get the 622GW plus rear shooter. We also used their fitting service, which is actually RS Connect who come out to the house. I didn't want to pull a £45k car to bits myself as my track record with electrics isn't great. 

Everything was fine for a few weeks then just before we went to Ireland I noticed the trim on the passenger side pillar was looking a bit odd as if it had popped out. So I pushed it back together and all was fine for a day or so. Now it is hanging down and the glue/resin inside is completely ruined. I've given then a chance to come back and sort it properly, which hopefully they will on Friday next week. 

One thing that has concerned me with their after sales service is that they left me a voicemail which was clearly for someone else. They mentioned about an engine management light being on since the camera was fitted. Now I'm wondering what they've done to someone else car!

The 622GW itself appears to be working properly and I'd absolutely recommend it as a unit. The sound and video quality really is excellent. Sadly the fitting service has left a bad after taste.

Pictures to show what we're currently sat with against how it should look.

PXL_20220614_121325753.jpg

PXL_20220614_121350104.jpg

PXL_20220614_121333121.jpg

That's terrible workmanship, but at least they are decent enough to admit their fault. I hope they are able to sort it out for you.

I remember Lexus used to have a Nextbase dashcam available on the configurator when I bought my ES (ordered 2020, delivered 2021) . I went looking for the same one again as IIRC that cam unit appeared to be matched to the shape of ES windscreen. (I believe @Mincey had that unit fitted)

Somehow that unit is no longer available on the website. I have reached out to a couple of dealerships in the vicinity and see what comes up. I would prefer a dealership to fit a dash cam and also confirm that warranty is not affected before fitting.

--E

To my mind that trim on the pillar is designed to come off & on, it must just be a case of pulling it off, checking the clips are good and free to engage and snapping it back on.

Would take a tech (as they are now called) no more time than it takes for you to drink a coffee so whoever fitted the camera should should be able sort this ASAP.

The A pillar clip looks like it isn’t attached to the trim on the second pic. If they left the trim in that state demand a new trim. If this trim is removed, there is a clip at the top and bottom of the pillar with a retaining clip in the middle. I fitted my own Nextbase 522, it looks like the installer either man handled the trim off or got unlucky when removing it. Should be an easy while you wait fix back at the dealer.

11 hours ago, e-yes said:

I remember Lexus used to have a Nextbase Dashcam available on the configurator when I bought my ES (ordered 2020, delivered 2021) . I went looking for the same one again as IIRC that cam unit appeared to be matched to the shape of ES windscreen. (I believe @Mincey had that unit fitted)

Sure did! 

• Thanks 1

So, I contacted three dealerships and Lexus Reading have quoted £375 fitted for both front and rear mounted units. Sounds about right based on what else is available (some of them are about £900 excluding fitting !!!)

--E

• Like 1

20 hours ago, e-yes said:

So, I contacted three dealerships and Lexus Reading have quoted £375 fitted for both front and rear mounted units. Sounds about right based on what else is available (some of them are about £900 excluding fitting !!!)

--E

That is the same as I paid Milton Keynes back in December for my front and rear setup before collection.

I looked at it once to make sure working and have forgotten about them ever since. They have no built in screen so you have to connect them to your phone to view which make’s downloading clips so much easier then my old SD card into the laptop setup 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tonyw said:

I looked at it once to make sure working and have forgotten about them ever since. 

Possibly not such a good idea, Tony.

It’s generally recommended that the SD Card should be formatted at least once a month in normal use. A lot of overwriting of files goes on as the Card fills up.  This can introduce errors into the files which can become a problem as they accumulate.

Regular reformatting eliminates these errors.  Obviously, if you have anything recorded that you wish to save, then first copy it onto a PC or some other suitable memory device.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2022 at 12:25 AM, LenT said:

Possibly not such a good idea, Tony.

It’s generally recommended that the SD Card should be formatted at least once a month in normal use.

Regular reformatting eliminates these errors. 

Is it possible to do this without having to remove the card from the camera ?

--E

31 minutes ago, e-yes said:

--E

If you buy the system provided by Lexus - Yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, e-yes said:

--E

I have a BlacKVue system and it is possible for me to format the SD Card in situ.  It actually has a ‘format’ button for the purpose.

However, it’s not something I have ever done because I am content to remove the Card and do it on my PC, which I feel gives me more control and the opportunity to investigate the video files first and so save any of interest.

Doing it in camera means that, as far as the video files are concerned, when they’re gone, they’re gone!

Of. course, other cameras may differ…

Incidentally, I carry a spare, formatted card on me with which I replace the card I remove.  I don’t want to leave the system inoperable merely because I’ve forgotten to replace the Card.  I did the same on the one occasion when hit by an HGV, so as to preserve the evidence - which proved to be a very wise move

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, LenT said:

Incidentally, I carry a spare, formatted card on me with which I replace the card I remove.  I don’t want to leave the system inoperable merely because I’ve forgotten to replace the Card.  I did the same on the one occasion when hit by an HGV, so as to preserve the evidence - which proved to be a very wise move

Wise advice, I do the same.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LenT said:

That is a brilliant idea ! Thanks

--E

• Like 1

6 hours ago, e-yes said:

--E

I May be wrong, but after much faffing about I have finally  got my phone to talk to my Nextbase 380. This is the one without a screen fitted by Lexus. I finally realise that contact is lost if the ignition is on. Why?

Anyway, I think that when the Nextbase Cam Viewer is open and connected there is within Settings an option (Format SD card) which allows you to clear the SD card.

Is there really a method within Lexus App to do this?

7 minutes ago, DTR said:

Anyway, I think that when the Nextbase Cam Viewer is open and connected there is within Settings an option (Format SD card) which allows you to clear the SD card.

I can confirm this option exists using the Nextbase Cam Viewer.

9 minutes ago, DTR said:

I finally realise that contact is lost if the ignition is on. Why?

That is strange Dave, my Web Cam (380 GWX) turns off if the ignition is turned off. So to link with the phone the ignition has to be on, but I have to turn off recording mode and switch on the Web Cam Wifi mode to connect to the phone via Wifi.

My Nextbase 522GW.

Once in the car I view all clips via the app on my phone  

All settings can be changed via the app.

Formatting the card also & on live view I can check if what the camera is looking at is nice and straight etc as when cleaning the inside of the screen I remove the camera each time (it is mag mounted)

3 hours ago, Moleman said:

That is strange Dave, my Web Cam (380 GWX) turns off if the ignition is turned off. 

Is this by choice, Maurice?  How would you feel if you returned to the car after a shopping break only to find a headlight stoved in?

Does the camera not have a ‘Parking Mode‘?  I would have thought that it would.  After all, cars are just as likely to be damaged when stationary as when moving.

In ‘Parking Mode’ the camera consumes almost negligible current but remains capable of motion detection and will record activity in front  - or behind - as well as impacts.

I have a BlackVue and this video details how it protects the car even when the ignition is off.  I’m sure other makes have similar systems.

31 minutes ago, LenT said:

Is this by choice, Maurice?  

Does the camera not have a ‘Parking Mode‘?

By choice Len (this the default setting I think). It does have a parking mode I believe, not used it (may require a separate battery).

Understand the point you raise but I have been happy with the system as it is.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LenT said:

Cracking idea! Thank you

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got the dashcam fitted today at Lexus Reading. The video quality looks pretty good and both the front and back units are pretty discrete.

The camera box contains four very condescending stickers with W A R N I N G in shouty text. Is it required by law to have them displayed ?

Couple of minor niggles as well...

1) Cannot get the NextBase App to connect to the camera. I am trying with an iPad. During the demo of the installed camera I was indeed told that it may be an exercise in futility and the connection resets every time the ignition is turned off.

2) The rear camera obstructs the blind. I don't use the blind all that much tbh but still something to be mindful of. I tried it and the blind manages to slip over the camera but I am guessing with repetitive use of the blind, the camera will come loose. (I guess there must be a dealer accessible setting to restrict the full opening of that blind)

But the main thing is I have the camera. The reason behind getting the camera was a few weeks back on the way to work, exiting M4 on to M32 where the traffic is generally glacial. I went into the right lane accelerating at usual pace getting up to 60 and a white van came up behind probably doing in excess of 90mph, got irate and flashed their lights. I didn't go any faster than the limit as I knew M32 turns into 40mph pretty soon but yielded the fast lane as soon as I went past other cars who were not driving fast because they knew what I knew as well. Well... this fiesty tradesman decided to teach me by trying to straddle both lanes now and to pretend to make contact. Must have been a half hearted attempt on their part as nothing really came of it 😄 

Anyways... better to have evidence then getting into a "he said, she said" in case anything bad happens.

--E

• Like 3

1 hour ago, e-yes said:

I got the Dashcam fitted today at Lexus Reading. The video quality looks pretty good and both the front and back units are pretty discrete.

The camera box contains four very condescending stickers with W A R N I N G in shouty text. Is it required by law to have them displayed ?

But the main thing is I have the camera. The reason behind getting the camera was a few weeks back on the way to work, exiting M4 on to M32 where the traffic is generally glacial. I went into the right lane accelerating at usual pace getting up to 60 and a white van came up behind probably doing in excess of 90mph, got irate and flashed their lights. I didn't go any faster than the limit as I knew M32 turns into 40mph pretty soon but yielded the fast lane as soon as I went past other cars who were not driving fast because they knew what I knew as well. Well... this fiesty tradesman decided to teach me by trying to straddle both lanes now and to pretend to make contact. Must have been a half hearted attempt on their part as nothing really came of it 😄 

Anyways... better to have evidence then getting into a "he said, she said" in case anything bad happens.

--E

Firstly, well done on getting yourself camera equipped.  This really is a case of ‘the more, the merrier’.

Regarding warnings, there is no law of which I’m aware that requires such notices.  What would be the purpose?  Will it tempt someone to drive close enough to read it?  Will it tempt a passing thief to break in to steal it?

My experience is that tailgaters suddenly see the rear camera and rapidly drop back.

Would it have deterred the dangerous behaviour of your van driver?  Probably not.  But what would make him think twice is that the next time he behaved that way, he got a visit from the local Police.  It certainly made an impression on the driver who I reported!

So I wouldn’t even wait for ‘something bad to happen.’  Be proactive and get them identified.  After all, the next time they behave that way may not have such a happy ending

Sorry I can’t help with connectivity problem - it’s a bit of a mystery to me too.

But in case I haven’t mentioned it before - and you haven’t yet set it up - get Parking Mode activated.  Your car is as much at risk when it’s parked and the ignition is off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LenT said:

My experience is that tailgaters suddenly see the rear camera and rapidly drop back.

As Betsy has a dark rear screen, the rear dash cam is not that obvious, so following wise advice from @royoftherovers, I added this discreet warning sticker:

image.png.3533899f15de08f149c92d4740c8b8a9.png

• Haha 4

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links