Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

30k cambelt change on a LS400 ?

Yes thats right a cambelt change at 30k miles, needs clarification you say and yes it is a bit unusual to change the cambelt at 30k miles.

This is not that unusual with this car because it as had the belt changed previously at 20k miles which is probably a world first, two cambelts on a Lexus LS400 before it as done 50k miles. The reason for this remarkable anomaly is the car is now 23 years old and that is probably another record it holds yes 47kmiles on the clock at 23 years old. Those wise to the service schedule on these cars know it is normal for the belt to be changed at 60k for the earlier marks and 90k for the last mark 4 or every 10 years, the first belt was changed at 19k at 14 years old and according to the techy who did the job was brand new when removed.

That was all that was changed then and it is now ten years later with another 28k on the clock so I am having the whole front end changed out with genuine Lexus parts. I have priced in Rock Auto Gates kit against Lexus Genuine and although the Gates kit is 50% cheaper I will be going with Lexus parts as I will not be using Lexus to do the job, I contacted my local Lexus dealership and they have had to ask Head office for a navigation cost to do the car as they no longer have it in their system and no one in the dealership as ever done a LS400.

I have found a reputable independent with a classic car Tech who understands what I want, cost wise they are about right and even with Lexus parts the job should come in at £800,the hourly rate at Lexus it now £120 + vat so I see a labour rate alone from them of at least £800 + the already discounted £500 for parts.

I think I will not have to do this job again so hopefully this will be my last big spend on this wonderful car._4077247.thumb.JPG.adcd22cecc94f99db346e5cb47a32b3e.JPG

19 minutes ago, Malc said:

and you're changing the waterpump too no doubt ?

Malc

Sure thing I have already started collecting the parts but if anyone as genuine parts for this job let me know.

• Like 1

Just an update on this project I have now obtained all the parts for this job for an unbelievable $228 from the UAE including shipping.  I already had a genuine cambelt but the other four required Genuine Toyota parts even with vat and import duty will come in at approx £230 against Lexus best quote of £520.

If you can save this kind of money on cambelt change its a definite no brainer ,as most of these parts are made for a host of Lexus and Toyota vehicles and are Toyota badged it simply means a 100% mark up when they get into Lexus dealerships, well guys I ain't paying for that marble floor and comfy chairs in the Lexus showroom. 

This is a tough call. In the scheme of things the cost is…OK. You may not want to think about the unrealities of insurance should someone shunt you and write your car off.

High maintenance costs are a complete loss.

Gates kits are ok. I’d prefer Lexus and would source abroad. Where Lexus parts are just outrageous I’ve stepped away.

When these lovelies are worth money then it’s time for OE kit. Brake parts btw, OE can be got UK great price.

My 400 was overdue a belt change from its original at 70k miles and well over 10 years: it was ok but showing distress: some bearing play, water pump ok…I had just bought it so changed the lot. Gates kit at US stupid low offer price. 

Next time everything will be changed and it’s true OE will just see water pump and belt…everything else will wait for the next change. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links