Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2017CT steering wheel

Jgmm

Bought the car two weeks ago.  I find the steering wheel very slippery especially when it’s cold - don’t like the lack of grip at all.  I thought I’d buy a new quality leather glove to give a bit more feel/grip. On looking at the wheel, it appears to have a very nicely fitted glove already. I’m thinking of replacing or is this how the car came from the factory. 

Don't know your model but leather can take up natural oil from hands or hand cream from previous owner or after great mileage wear smooth.  Many years ago I bought some Connolly leather cleaner and hide food which I have sparingly applied to leather on my cars over the years.  I had a little left which I used on my BMW leather steering wheel last year to restore the grip.  I expect there are others now who do products to achieve the same objective.  Maybe an auto leather restorer could supply or advise.  You don't want anything that makes the wheel too grippy or sticky.

Thanks.  The car has just 15,500 miles and I shall try some restorer.  If no joy, maybe a perforated leather glove over the existing factory one might improve things. 

It sounds like someone "helpfully" cleaned the wheel with a silicone based interior shine spray and that is the usual result.

Try using isopropyl alcohol wipes on it then some proper leather cleaner/balm.

Keep the interior trim clean using something like >>>This<<< It cleans and protects without leaving any residue and no shine.

On 12/6/2021 at 11:07 PM, Jgmm said:

I thought I’d buy a new quality leather glove to give a bit more feel/grip. On looking at the wheel, it appears to have a very nicely fitted glove already.

I’m surprised that no one has asked about the existing “glove” that has been fitted. Maybe something has been fitted by the previous owner and should be removed.

I never had any issues like this with either of my two CT200s that I’ve owned, in fact I find the steering wheel excellent for both feel and grip. 

Have so far not cleaned the steering wheel, grip is excellent. Do not use it with dirty hands. Do not use hand creme or anything like that.

Think Lexus made a fine job and see no reason to put an extra layer on it as some maybe do.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links