Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus nx300h - gearbox pops "into socket" when in park

Hello everyone!

My 2018 NX300H does this weird thing where the gearbox sort of pops into its socket when the car is in park. It makes a "pop" sound and the stick moves a bit - I've attached a video, it happens around second 5.

It sort of feels like it hasn't shifted correctly and it just pulls itself into the right position.

1 hour ago, Lm.andrei said:

It sort of feels like it hasn't shifted correctly and it just pulls itself into the right position.

Is it doing it the moment you release the brake pedal? It's as if the shift lock solenoid is making the gear shifter move - normally it would be in the correct position so there is no movement when the solenoid activates.

I don't think it is the parking pawl as it looks like the parking brake is engaged then therefore there shouldn't be any movement of the vehicle.

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

The link isn't working..

I'd say all that is happening is the parking pawl is engaging after the car rolls imperceptibly?

Happens on all automatic transmissions I've driven.

Hello! I've uploaded the video on yt ->

The car was at a standstill. And it could happen right after I go into park or 30 seconds later or a few minutes later.

Although lately it kinda seems like it's been happening more often 

My previous NX did and so does the current one. I find it is more noticeable if parked on an incline.

I was told by the dealer that this is nothing to worry about, although I do not have any technical explanation for it.

I've observed this phenomenon few times, it even use to happen on my IS300h (no longer with me). I spoke to dealer about it during early days of purchase and was not able to reproduce! 

It usually happens when parked on inclined surface and once you shift to P and let go of the brake quickly before the electronic parking brake is engaged! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links