Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Co Emmisions Too High......

jasear

Right for some strange reason the CO emmissions are high. There is nothing wrong with the lambda neither is there anything wrong with the engine nor has the car been modified.

So why are the CO emmissions high?

The car passed the emmissions test when being mot'd but failed on the sva test. It was given a proper run and the car emmissions were still a bit high.

The guy preparing the car for the mot reckons it could only now be the catalytic converter.

Im really confused now do any of you know what the problem could be? And is there anyway of getting the emissions down to get it to pass the sva?

How bout trying some of that Cataclean stuff that guy on satellite flogs. They claim it can do miracles I dont believe it does everything they claim but if it works a little bit then it might just get your emissions low enough for the test.

Jalil,

Have been doing a search on the web and one guy had problems with emissions on an import RAV4

rav4 import

also some info on a japanese website. They offer the ESVA beofre shipping, they have some info there on emissions and other sva stuff

This may be of use to some of you importers, AltezzaScott and Supracharged??

japanese firm offering ESVA at japan before shipping

I think a search on toyota owners club may be of use? or any import owners clubs?

Hope this helps!

jasear  Posted on Apr 6 2004, 01:15 PM   

QUOTE (ColinBarber @ Apr 6 2004, 01:13 PM)

The guy with the RAV4 created an air leak after the MAF sensor by disconnecting a vacuum line which makes the engine run leaner.

so colin do you reckon that would work on the altezza?

clutching on straws aren't we :P

So what are your thoughts Colin?

If the problem is the engine is running too rich then yes it may help. Keep an eye on engine temp.

There must be reason why the CO2 is high though:

dirty air filter

dirty MAf sensor

Cat failure

cat been removed.

ECU been modified.

If the problem is the engine is running too rich then yes it may help. Keep an eye on engine temp.

There must be reason why the CO2 is high though:

dirty air filter

dirty MAf sensor

Cat failure

cat been removed.

ECU been modified.

Colin the ECU seems to be fine,

no mods,

air filter looks right too,

I dunno about the maf senson. Cat is still in there so it could be cat failure. But if there is a cat failure then wouldnt the other emissions be high too? i.e. HC NO's?

The emisions are fine when the car is tested at idle but when its reved and tested then the emissions of CO are out at 0.6%.

The car was put through a diagnostic test to find out what is causing the high emissions. And couldnt find any fault whatsoever the lambda reading was spot on at 1. So that means something is going wrong in the cat converter.

Ive asked this before but do you think that the fact the car hasnt been driven regularly for 4-5 months could have somehting to do with it?

And do you reckon this cataclean product would be of any help?

And finally colin can you think of any way of getting around this problem?

Hi had the same problem with mine Co were reading 0.54 and lamba was very slightly out diagnosed new cat tryed cat cleaner oil filter/air filter changed spark plugs + optimax fuel first still no joy. So I put in a new cat £190 and still no different then advised to put in a pre cat witch I did at a cost of £260 still the same and new lamba about £160 still the same. Also my car was not modified apart from a TRD exhaust system. In the end I spent £1500 more and taken it to about 8 people to try and sort it and no one could do it. In the end I bought another 4cyl Beams and changed the complete exhaust system with lamba and ecu. Even then when on my car at the m.o.t. station it was reading 0.1 but when I got to the sva center after hammering it to get it hot it read 0.24 on there machine. So got it through in the end but had to by another car and change parts but what else can you do as there are no friendly SVA testers ;)

Galee

Hi had the same problem with mine Co were reading 0.54 and lamba was very slightly out diagnosed new cat tryed cat cleaner oil filter/air filter changed spark plugs + optimax fuel first still no joy. So I put in a new cat £190 and still no different then advised to put in a pre cat witch I did at a cost of £260 still the same and new lamba about £160 still the same. Also my car was not modified apart from a TRD exhaust system. In the end I spent £1500 more and taken it to about 8 people to try and sort it and no one could do it. In the end I bought another 4cyl Beams and changed the complete exhaust system with lamba and ecu. Even then when on my car at the m.o.t. station it was reading 0.1 but when I got to the sva center after hammering it to get it hot it read 0.24 on there machine. So got it through in the end but had to by another car and change parts but what else can you do as there are no friendly SVA testers ;)

Galee

so galee let me get this right, you sold the old car and bought a new one? And replaced the whole exhaust system on ure car?

Actually thats the only mod on my altezza too it has a non standard exhaust i dont know what make exactly it is.

So how much did it cost you to replace the exhaust system?

Hello jasear no I had one Altezza I could not get through the sva so I bought another and swaped all the bits I mentioned so I had 2 Altezzas. The other one went straight through the sva so I used the parts off that. I have sold the other car now but I sold it to a friend and could probaly borrow it to use the bits to get your Altezza through if you get really stuck.

Galee

lol@straw clutching level!

Well im not sure what fuel is in there but let me know which one would be the best to reduce emissions? i.e. optimax?

Secondly, galee would you have the exhaust bit on it? But then again it failed its sva so im not sure if its going to be of any help. but ideally it would be of great help if i could get hold of an exhaust or cat off an altezza rs200 which hasnt got high emissions temporarily just for the purpose of getting it to pass the sva.

Anyway, well guys my gut feeling is that the guy who i have given the car for an sva is bull sh***** me to get some money out of me!

I made a mistake by giving the car to him to get it sva'd as i couldnt find any alternative or more like i never bothered trying to find any alternative.

My 6th sense is also telling me constantly that there is nothing wrong with the car and all the emission problems are due to the fact that the car has not been driven regularly for 4-5 months atleast. And if i drive it for a week or so everything will automatically be ok or a lot better atleast.

but i am stuck in a catch 22 situation cause i cannot drive the car as it hasnt got an sva and it wont get an sva cause i havent been able to drive it!!!

How dangerous is it to drive the car without an sva? I am insured on it, can i take it for a run around? Or will i be in deep sh** if i get caught?

Where are you based? Do you know if the car has been svaed via the disabled loop hole?

The car I am speaking about borrowing the bits from is the car that passed the sva no probs which is a 6mt RS200 4 cyl Beams is yours manual or auto? and when is the latest retest date? What is the name of the company that is doing your sva prep work? maybee someone here has dealt with them or knows of them?

Galee

Where are you based? Do you know if the car has been svaed via the disabled loop hole?

The car I am speaking about borrowing the bits from is the car that passed the sva no probs which is a 6mt RS200 4 cyl Beams is yours manual or auto? and when is the latest retest date? What is the name of the company that is doing your sva prep work? maybee someone here has dealt with them or knows of them?

Galee

I am based in cardiff. the car hasnt been sva'd via the disabled loophole. What is the disabled loop hole by the way?

My car is a RS200 4 cyl im not sure whether its a 6mt. It is manual. As soon as the work is done the retest can be done i am not aware of a deadline. the company that is doing the sva are called autovalet.

They are basically on the same site as the auction company from whom i bought the car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links