Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2011 Ct200h, 27,000 miles, hybrid battery old but low miles ok?

mattyt1991

I did John.

My question was prompted by the fact that my car has had a couple of years of doing 30k or so, thus running out of Battery warranty in those years. However it subsequently still gets a hybrid health check and renewed 1yr/10k warranty. Granted it's under 150k total though.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone whose car is under 15 years old and over 150k miles, as to whether they still get the hybrid health check and extended 1yr Battery warranty.

4 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

I did John.

My question was prompted by the fact that my car has had a couple of years of doing 30k or so, thus running out of battery warranty in those years. However it subsequently still gets a hybrid health check and renewed 1yr/10k warranty. Granted it's under 150k total though.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone whose car is under 15 years old and over 150k miles, as to whether they still get the hybrid health check and extended 1yr battery warranty.

Thanks Bill. The Hybrid Battery Warranty is available for the first 10,000 miles covered in each of 15 years,regardless of the total accumulated mileage as I read the the detail on the Lexus UK Website. Total accumulated mileage is not stated as a reason for exclusion.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

I did John.

My question was prompted by the fact that my car has had a couple of years of doing 30k or so, thus running out of battery warranty in those years. However it subsequently still gets a hybrid health check and renewed 1yr/10k warranty. Granted it's under 150k total though.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone whose car is under 15 years old and over 150k miles, as to whether they still get the hybrid health check and extended 1yr battery warranty.

I think the hybrid warranty is simply 15 years now regardless of mileage so long as a hybrid health check is done every 10k miles or once per year whichever comes first. So if you did 20k miles a year for 15 years mileage would be 300k miles but you would be doing the hybrid health check (and a service) twice a year. 

• Like 1

Thank you both.

While we're on the subject of interpreting warranty terms, here's another question.

The 10 year plus extended warranty states that an eligibile vehicle is "A  Lexus vehicle 15 years old and 150k miles from date of first registration".

So, does that mean the warranty can be extended in the last days of its 15th year, thus extending the warranty for its 16th year?

4 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

Thank you both.

While we're on the subject of interpreting warranty terms, here's another question.

The 10 year plus extended warranty states that an eligibile vehicle is "A  Lexus vehicle 15 years old and 150k miles from date of first registration".

So, does that mean the warranty can be extended in the last days of its 15th year, thus extending the warranty for its 16th year?

I believe that is so but haven't got to that mileage yet to confirm - it's probably a question you will need to ask Lexus to be certain. 

1 hour ago, Bluemarlin said:

I'm not sure that's right Maurice, as if you were to do 30k a year for the first 5 years, and then 10k a year after that you'd be over 150k miles for those last 10 years.

According to the wording, the battery would run out of waranty for each of the first 5 years, but remain in warranty for the last 10, despite being well over 150k miles total.

Does anyone know if I'm assuming correctly?

It could be read both ways, so not clear enough to assume. The Hybrid warranty talks about one year of 10K miles each year. So that could mean if you do more than 10K miles you would need to have a health check earlier than one year to maintain the warranty. Of course if you are doing more than 10K miles each year and stick to the service requirements then it would be renewed at each service. Of course you would then reach 150K miles before 15 years, so would the warranty stop at 150K miles or carry on till 15 years? Confused or not! 🤔

2 hours ago, Moleman said:

It could be read both ways, so not clear enough to assume. The Hybrid warranty talks about one year of 10K miles each year. So that could mean if you do more than 10K miles you would need to have a health check earlier than one year to maintain the warranty. Of course if you are doing more than 10K miles each year and stick to the service requirements then it would be renewed at each service. Of course you would then reach 150K miles before 15 years, so would the warranty stop at 150K miles or carry on till 15 years? Confused or not! 🤔

Yes if you do more than 10k miles in a year you would need to do the hybrid health check each 10k miles (so more than once a year) to keep it valid - the same for servicing to keep Relax valid for example. However so long as you do that there is no mileage limit to the hybrid warranty. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the discussion but another view here.  I bought my 2013 CT200H from a Lexus dealer 5 years ago and that was the last time my car ever saw a Lexus dealership as  I've had my services and MOTs done at a local and highly rated independent garage.  I was dubious at first but what put out is when I was asked why I wanted the Lexus Hybrid Battery Health Check when it's nothing more than a fancy name for a basic check on what is, after all, a big Battery.  And he was right.  I've saved a few grand over the past 5 years not buying the extras from Lexus dealers which I think prey on people's insecurities in retaining the value of a car like this.  On saying that, I do 25k+ per year.  My car has needed nothing more than general consumables, wear and tear items like brake pads but otherwise it drives as well as it did when I first bought it on 20k miles.  A colleague has just bought a 2020 model on 6k and we've done comparisons.  Mine fared slightly worse, but emphasis on slight.  Sure I've got some issues - the headlights are appallingly dim (same on my colleagues) and I really shouldn't have to press a button specifically for the wing mirrors to fold (first world problems, eh?)

I'll be happy to keep mine til it dies, but it won't be seeing a Lexus dealer til then.  Meanwhile, the money I've saved will be a good deposit on my next car   I'm sure my opinion is unpopular, but I think these guarantees and "health checks" are a scam.

• Like 2

I think RK1975 and diabolik you are missing the point of the Hybrid Heath Check though - by having it done at a dealer you are getting another 10K mile / 12 month warranty on the Battery each time it's done up to when the car is 15 years old. Agreed that it's unlikely to fail in this time but occasionally some do and so would then be replaced foc by Lexus. Like any insurance policy though it's a risk vs premium and everyone has their own risk / premium balance. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, RK1975 said:

Late to the discussion but another view here.  I bought my 2013 CT200H from a Lexus dealer 5 years ago and that was the last time my car ever saw a Lexus dealership as  I've had my services and MOTs done at a local and highly rated independent garage.  I was dubious at first but what put out is when I was asked why I wanted the Lexus Hybrid Battery Health Check when it's nothing more than a fancy name for a basic check on what is, after all, a big battery.  And he was right.  I've saved a few grand over the past 5 years not buying the extras from Lexus dealers which I think prey on people's insecurities in retaining the value of a car like this.  On saying that, I do 25k+ per year.  My car has needed nothing more than general consumables, wear and tear items like brake pads but otherwise it drives as well as it did when I first bought it on 20k miles.  A colleague has just bought a 2020 model on 6k and we've done comparisons.  Mine fared slightly worse, but emphasis on slight.  Sure I've got some issues - the headlights are appallingly dim (same on my colleagues) and I really shouldn't have to press a button specifically for the wing mirrors to fold (first world problems, eh?)

I'll be happy to keep mine til it dies, but it won't be seeing a Lexus dealer til then.  Meanwhile, the money I've saved will be a good deposit on my next car   I'm sure my opinion is unpopular, but I think these guarantees and "health checks" are a scam.

A really interesting perspective Ray. 

What you were buying was basically insurance cover in case significant problems arose....and they didn`t. Some win and some lose. You won and that is credit to you for buying a car you could trust in the first place and credit also to your trusted mechanic. Continue to enjoy the wonderful CT.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links