Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Man this clunking is driving me nuts

skyway

Hi Guys,

I have a Celsior on coils and

It seems that I am unable to locate a clunking coming from the rear drivers side suspension area, which only really happens at low speeds bumpy roads.

I have checked the 3 control arms, wheel bearing and exhaust, I have changed the drop link arms, anti roll bar bushings and the rear suspension struts.

The car has also been on an mot ramp and thoroughly prodded and poked with pry bars by the appropriate skilled people to the resounding "no mate your cars fine"

There is no uneven wear on the tyre.

I'm not normally prone to tantrums but... I am starting to look at the car with a hammer in my hand fantasizing about teaching the bloody thing a good old fashioned lesson.

Would anyone perchance have any ideas or any experience with something similar?

Thanks for taking your time to read through my post any help would be most appreciated by myself and the for the moment undented car.

23 minutes ago, skyway said:

Would anyone perchance have any ideas or any experience with something similar?

on my dear old lady it was simply a heat shield had dropped off and resting on the exhaust ........... then removed as a vestigial item actually 

Malc

• Like 1

I also have a 2004 Celsior on coils, have the exact same symptoms under the same road conditions but it’s never bothered me.

It was pointed out to me during the test drive but I couldn’t hear anything myself and passed the MOT without comment.

Which coil set up do you have, mine is the static conversion kit from Strut masters?

Have you checked the diff mounts and the spare wheel well for loose items?

Maybe find a local garage with a shaker plate ramp and take another look under near real world conditions.

• Like 1

Hmmm the heat shield i did find loose on mine also I used a rather large washer to secure it but I am still dubious about it, I wasn't sure if it was as you say a vestigial item.

Mine is similar to strutmasters I bought them from rock autos. 

I had strutmasters on my old ls430.

The diff mounts I didn't check but will go out now to do so... also I am going to remove the heat shield.

A couple of months ago I took everything that wasnt nailed down out of the car from boot to glovebox and the noise was still there ( spare wheel and tools carpets the whole kit and caboodle.

Thanks for your help guys

quick update....unfortunately its not the heat shields or the diff mounts.... back to the drawing board 🙂

maybe fitting a gopro under the car while driving will show the problem.. just got to get a gopro now lol

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links