Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Are Is200's Any Good?

paulra

Hi,

I have just been given a large car allowance and I like the IS200 Sport.

BUT!! All the review I have read say they lack in power.

Is this true.. and is there anything I can do to resolve the situation?

Thanks

Paul.

Well, you certainly came to the right place to ask that question....

Firstly, dont believe all these reviews (I suspect they get back-handers from BMW, ever wondered why they always come top???)

Yes the IS200 does lack a little raw grunt, but you have to consider, Its a straight six engine (something BMW only has it is 2.5 litre and above), so its very smooth, if a little lacking at low revs...

But, get it above 4,500, the VVTi kicks in, and it flies... plus, the 'high speed torque' (e.g. overtaking on a 60 road/motorway driving) is fantastic...

The handling is perfectly balanced, the RWD makes it a fun drive, yet still comfortable for long journeys..

But what you also have to consider is the standard equipments list.... Leather seats, 6 CD, heated seats, electric seats (to name just a couple)...

And then... if perhaps it is a little lacking.... you can always 'tweak it'...

Fitting a performance exhaust does actually free up the engine more than you'd expect, the engine revs much more freely, and does sound sweet...

Here is a guide to aftermarket exhausts

As Raz mentions above, if your looking for a serious improvement, you can get a TTE supercharger (Toyota OEM).. okay, your looking at about 3 grand, but you'll get over 200bhp, and around the 7 second 0-60 time..

But for me, the IS200 is perfectly capable as standard, the six speed box is perfect for a country lane on a summers day, the chassis is tight, but the ride is not comprimised... sure, it'll never set any land speed records, but i'd never say it was slow...

I bought my IS200 over 2 years ago, its the longest I've ever had a car (i usually get bored within a year), and Im still not bored with it....

And all I've modded is a set of lower/stiffer springs, and a performance back box..

Well, you certainly came to the right place to ask that question....

Firstly, dont believe all these reviews (I suspect they get back-handers from BMW, ever wondered why they always come top???)

Yes the IS200 does lack a little raw grunt, but you have to consider, Its a straight six engine (something BMW only has it is 2.5 litre and above), so its very smooth, if a little lacking at low revs...

But, get it above 4,500, the VVTi kicks in, and it flies... plus, the 'high speed torque' (e.g. overtaking on a 60 road/motorway driving) is fantastic...

The handling is perfectly balanced, the RWD makes it a fun drive, yet still comfortable for long journeys

well said mate!! :winky:

But look forward to your petrol gauge going down :) :lol:

Also at illegal speeds, the engine is sooooooo quiet ;) (but can still hear the wind in a 200 :duh: )

Oh, and a good idea for you, talk to your local dealers, most do 24 hour test drives, so you can experience the :D ... but be prepared to part with your money/house/partner rather than hand the keys back ;)

Thanks for da replies. I have the same problem in that I get bored with cars.. I am also used to having modified motors. Maybe this car could be the one that I keep for a while, anyone want to offer me the actual mpg figures?

ta.

Yeah, i had exactly the same problem.... but apart from a couple of tweaks about a year/18 months in, i havent actually had to 'tune the engine' at all...

and in case your still doubtful regarding the power... here is a video clip one of our members posted a few days ago... standard IS...

Movie

As for the MPG, erm... I guess 35mpg on a motorway run... I actually worked out the pence per mile costs during an experiment last year.. Read the topic here

Thanks for da replies. I have the same problem in that I get bored with cars.. I am also used to having modified motors. Maybe this car could be the one that I keep for a while, anyone want to offer me the actual mpg figures?

ta.

If you want to modify an IS make sure you have loads of ££££ as the parts are very expensive and the range is limited.

My average mpg is around 25/26 (50/50 towm/motorway)

The IS feels a bit sluggish from a standing start compared to my previous car (a SLC 1.8T) but it performs really well at higher speeds and on the motorways. I like the way the IS glides along, the SLC always felt like it was about to fall apart!

Petrol costs are a little on the high side compared to other cars I've owned (more than my old MX6 V6 even) but I think it's worth it. Sometimes I just wish Lexus hadn't fitted the car with a consumption meter!!

Hmmm, cool video.. how was the car after doing that to the poor thing?

Fun though!!

I was hoping to get something that did a little more than 30mpg.. I will have to do a lot of miles and pay for me own petrol!

There isnt a diesel flaoured Lexus is there??

In reply to an earlier question about my previous cars, I have had:

1983 Ford Fiesta 1.0l

1986 Peugeot 205 GTi

1994 Ford Fiesta Si

1989 Ford Fiesta XR2

1994 Saab 900i

1990 Honda CRX V-TEC (186bhp, 0-60 6.9 secs 146mph top end)

1986 Mini Parklane

1991 Calibra 2.0

1992 Toyota MR2 Turbo

1995 Omega (We`ll ignore this one)

1996 Calibra 2.5l V6

1995 Toyota Supra 3.0 V6

1994 Mitsubishi Shogun

and am presently driving a monster Toyota HiLux surf with enourmous wheels and suspension lift, wastegate turbo and it looks like a bigfoot!! (for sale!)

Paul.

diesel in a lex :sick::sick: there will be an option on the mk 2 i think, anyways the lexus hybrid technology will me much better.

In the mean time, LPG Convo? might be way to go with it getting 1p cheaper oper litre every year for the next 4 years.

Ok, I bought one! a 51 IS200 Sport with styling kit, its done 50k miles and is in good condition. Can wait to get it on Wednesday!!

Only one question... the brake pads are non-existant..

Could someone tell me Where to get this done and how much it will cost and what parts are da bestest??

Also whats this pre-cat removal stuff about?

P.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links