Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I wouldn't worry too much about that. It's probably the very cold mornings that initially mucks up fueling. Do you drive your car let's say sedately 100% or do you say once or twice a week floor it to red line to clear cobwebs?

Hi I agree with Vlad ,cold damp mornings don't help ,also there have been some problems recently with this new E10 petrol causing some cold running problems ,I don't think it burns the same when left standing.I keep a record on fuel consumption and during this time of the year I have usually got 23-24 mpg round town ;now at 18.1 over a few hundred miles ,car is 100 percent serviced by me so I am filling up today with super unleaded to see if this improves the situation .I would give 'Sedately' a miss for a short time and have what we used to call in the old days an Italian tune up !! keep it in manual mode to keep the revs up 3500-4000 revs clear out the crap 

Dave

Edited by true blue
spelling!
  • Like 1

E10 is definitely bad idea if left for some time, I have run IS250 quite a lot on E85, but I would never leave any sitting in the tank. Crossing the Europe an putting full tank of stuff and then burning it in 3-4hours of continuous driving didn't hurt, but if left in tank for long time then it no only attracts water, but could as well erode other components - apparently IS250 before 2007 not suppose to run E10. I just don't know what exactly has changed in cars after 2007. 

Got her back from mechanics. only fault detected was crankshaft position sensor and advised that may be due to timing chain lacking lubricant on startup and stretching. Will try improved fuel and just monitor.

Hi Mike stretched timing chain would be a problem, you should only get this with high mileage and a bad service regime of leaving oil and oil filter in way beyond recommendations.What is the mileage and do you have a service record ? as these cars should cover a big mileage without this problem .We bought a Honda CRV for my daughter a few years ago with this as a known fault ,so the dealer sold it cheaply because of the work involved .I changed the chain etc and all back to like new ,fairly big job ,but I would not like to tackle it on the IS 250 much more work ,lets hope its just the garage upselling work (not unheard of !)

Dave

I've said this before on here and other forums. Every car I've had in the last 30 years before I brought it home I poured the required amount of ZX1 into the oil. This stuff puts a micro coating on All metal parts within the engine therefore on a cold or the car not being started for weeks months the engine will start as if it was a hot start. Again I'll mention a neighbours S type jag which gets started twice a year with a pronounced tappety noise. After a dose of ZX1 no tappety noise. Neighbour chuffed.

Oh don't anybody slag me off for this wholey factual proven advice coz all you'll be doing is making yourself look a prik. 

4 hours ago, true blue said:

Hi Mike stretched timing chain would be a problem, you should only get this with high mileage and a bad service regime of leaving oil and oil filter in way beyond recommendations.What is the mileage and do you have a service record ? as these cars should cover a big mileage without this problem .We bought a Honda CRV for my daughter a few years ago with this as a known fault ,so the dealer sold it cheaply because of the work involved .I changed the chain etc and all back to like new ,fairly big job ,but I would not like to tackle it on the IS 250 much more work ,lets hope its just the garage upselling work (not unheard of !)

Dave

The mileage is 58800 but the service is sketchy for the last few years.

Hi mike ,58800 is nothing at all ,so I would guess you will have no major wear at this stage unless some cheap /recycled oil has been left in for years . My advice would be to give the engine a good flush (Forte is good ) refill with a top quality oil and genuine filter ,and see how it goes .I would be very surprised if it is chain stretch

Dave

hello again just to clarify the engineering a bit, chains do not stretch ,the rollers between the links wear to a smaller diameter allowing play to occur between the gear teeth (original pitch) and the new worn chain pitch ,this in turn will wear the sprocket teeth allowing the timing to vary by a small amount (this will usually put the engine light on ) as the timing is now outside the pre set limit .This is why regular oil changes are vital to keep all wear down to a minimum .

Dave

Is the chain tensioner worked by oil pressure? Is there a valve to stop backflow when the engine is off? the VVT on the cams is oil worked, but isn't it just noisy on start up rather than misfiring if an issue?

3 hours ago, BC99 said:

Is the chain tensioner worked by oil pressure? Is there a valve to stop backflow when the engine is off? the VVT on the cams is oil worked, but isn't it just noisy on start up rather than misfiring if an issue?

Yes I believe it is, hence the 15 second delay when cold and no I think there is no valve?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links